Photos from Don Fogg's Forging and Finishing Demos, Ashokan 2006

Don Fogg gave two excellent demonstrations at Ashokan this year. The first was a forging demo, during which he forged a knife from round bar. In the evening Don gave a demonstration on his technique for hand finishing a blade. Below are some photos from those demos.

FORGING DEMO

Fogg-forging-demo2.jpg

Don making a point.

Fogg-forging-demo1.jpg

Forging the round bar.

Fogg-forging-demo6.jpg

Forging with a manly hammer.

Fogg-forging-demo3.jpg

Working on the point.

HAND FINISHING DEMO

Fogg-sanding-jig.jpg

Don’s vise and backer for hand sanding.

Fogg-finishing-stuff.jpg

Steel bars used to hold self-adhesive sand paper.

Fogg-finishing-equip.jpg

EDM stones soaking in windex, the blade, and other supplies.

Fogg-finishing-demo.jpg

Beginning to sand.

Fogg-finishing-demo2.jpg

Working up a sweat, close-up of sanding technique.

Fogg-blade.jpg

Crappy picture of the partially finished, etched, demo blade. (Sorry about the poor photo.)

Christopher Meyer, Shenipsit Forge

One day I must meet Mr. Fogg. :notworthy:

I can tell by the look on his face and by his body posture that he is someone I simply need to experience......passion is the word. Passion and expertise coupled with experience, dedication, and a deep desire to see that all of the information and subtleness gets passed on.

Thanks for documenting the moment and publishing the pix, Dude. I owe ya.

Brian

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein

"The innovator is not an opponent of the old. He is a proponent of the new."

- Lyle E. Schaller

http://home.mchsi.com/~hermits/BrianRVanSp..._Edged_Art.html

Very good photos, thanks for posting. Don is a super demonstrator and a hell of a fine knife maker.

Wish I could have been there, I will have to make Batson's next year for sure.

Edited by Don Hanson

Don Hanson lll My Webpage

One day I must meet Mr. Fogg. :notworthy:

I can tell by the look on his face and by his body posture that he is someone I simply need to experience......passion is the word. Passion and expertise coupled with experience, dedication, and a deep desire to see that all of the information and subtleness gets passed on.

Thanks for documenting the moment and publishing the pix, Dude. I owe ya.

Brian

Don's demos are priceless, I try and get to them if at all possible and I learn many new things each time. Great pictures!

Guy Thomas

Thanks for posting the pictures. I had a great time at Ashokan this year. This is a wonderful event and this year is the 25 year it has been held. Jim Schmidt, Jimmy Fikes and I started it back then as a way to educate and network. There has been a lot of growth in the craft since those early days, but it made me really happy to see that the original enthusiasm has been maintained.

It was a treat to see old friends and learn new things. Thanks to Tim Zowada and Kevin Cashen for pulling it all together.

Paul Norris made a beautiful little forge that was a joy to work with and he brought along some very sharp young smiths to share the experience.

Michael McCarthy did a wonderful smelt, high drama, great results.

Kevin explained the mysteries of steel and has really done some excellent work in metallurgy for the bladesmith.

Tim Wright's stand up routines were funny and poignant. He is a treat.

Jim Siska ground out some blades so fast that he almost made me eat my words about grinders.

Ashokan is a wonderful place and it makes for a great weekend. If you can make it I would encourage you to go.

Don

Don Fogg

• 1 month later...

Thanks for posting the pictures. I had a great time at Ashokan this year. This is a wonderful event and this year is the 25 year it has been held. Jim Schmidt, Jimmy Fikes and I started it back then as a way to educate and network. There has been a lot of growth in the craft since those early days, but it made me really happy to see that the original enthusiasm has been maintained.

It was a treat to see old friends and learn new things. Thanks to Tim Zowada and Kevin Cashen for pulling it all together.

Paul Norris made a beautiful little forge that was a joy to work with and he brought along some very sharp young smiths to share the experience.

Michael McCarthy did a wonderful smelt, high drama, great results.

Kevin explained the mysteries of steel and has really done some excellent work in metallurgy for the bladesmith.

Tim Wright's stand up routines were funny and poignant. He is a treat.

Jim Siska ground out some blades so fast that he almost made me eat my words about grinders.

Ashokan is a wonderful place and it makes for a great weekend. If you can make it I would encourage you to go.

Don

Will you be at the next meet Mr Fogg? When is it?

Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots

• 2 months later...

Don is a great guy. I really enjoyed chatting to him at Plymouth.

A great teacher too, I must add. Gave me a nice little hands on tutorial on polishing which I have benefited from a great deal.

Thanks Sifu Don!

Regards,

Mumtaz Baber

Jack of all trades, master of none

I was forunate enough to watch Mr Fogg do a demo in North Fla. I wish we had made a DVD of the event.

I suggest getting a good videographer to go to Ashokan and make a good DVD or set of DVD's

Cashen, Fogg et.al. doing their thing would make an excellent resource.