The Craft Of The Japanese Sword

Willie

Just got a copy of the book in the mail today. Excellent Book!!

quick description: 4 different Craftsmen take you through the process of making a sword. Yoshindo Yoshihara, the swordsmith makes the blade from raw steel. Okisato Fujishiro sharpens and polishes the sword to reveal the color and texture of the steel. Metalworker Hiroshi Miyajima makes a copper and gold habaki, and Kazuyuki Takayama carves the hilt and the scabbard from a single piece of wood. 167 pages with some color and black and white photos.

All the processes involved were done using the traditional methods.

I highly recommend this book!!

Thanks, Willie Nappier

Who; me?

• 1 month later...

Ahh one of my favorite books.Like Willie I would also highly recommend it.

• 1 year later...

If you guys like this one, then check out Modern Japanese Swords and Swordsmiths: From 1868 to the Present by Leon Kapp, Hiroko Kapp, and Yoshindo Yoshihara. I have learned quite a bit from just looking at the pictures of the swordsmiths workshops.

~Bruce~

“All work is empty save when there is love, for work is love made visible.” Kahlil Gibran

"It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them." - Alfred Adler

• 5 years later...

Does anyone have both the Craft of the Japanese Sword and the Art of the Japanese Sword? I have the second and wondered how the two compared...the descriptions sound very similar, is it just a revised release?

forum-signature.jpg

Davej - Crossed Heart Forge * islandblacksmith.ca * instagram * youtube

I have copies of both

The Craft of the Japanese Sword - Leon and Hiroko Kapp, Yoshindo Yoshihara

and

The Art of the Japanese Sword - Kunihira Kawachi and Masao Manabe

They are quite different in content.

The Craft contains a lot of great info on the manufacture and techniques and as a maker is the superior book.

The Art contains more knowledge about blade types, etiquite when handling blades, how to care for blades in your collection, how to sheathe and unsheathe them , and only has a small section on the making of them at a very high level.

They're both good books, but for very different purposes.

---

Justin "Tharkis" Mercier

www.tharkis.com

Hrmmm, so hold on a moment... turns out there are two books named "The Art of the Japanese Sword"

One being the one that I own, and another which... has the same authors as The Craft of the Japanese Sword, but is about 100 pages longer. I dont own a copy of the latter, just a copy of a book with the exact same name but different authors >_<

This is the one that I own

http://www.amazon.com/The-Art-Japanese-Sword-Experts/dp/1891640410/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390405476&sr=8-1&keywords=the+art+of+the+japanese+sword+as+taught+by+the+experts

Edited by Justin Mercier

---

Justin "Tharkis" Mercier

www.tharkis.com

ok, so the mystery continues...yes, i was wondering about the two that Yoshindo Yoshihara has worked on...

but if the art is 100 pages longer, maybe it is mostly additional material and photos...

forum-signature.jpg

Dave,

I have them both. They are completely different books.The CRAFT book is more basic and not as artfully presented but good. Gives a good basic overview of all the arts connected with the sword, not much about techniques.

I can't say it would add more to what you probably already know. But a good book to have nonetheless.It was the first clearly written book on the subject.

If you don't have The Art of Japanese Sword Polishing I would buy it instead (or along with). It has as a very surprising amount of detailed info.

@Danocon much appreciated, will check it out...that is an area i definitely need to work on (both my patience and skill)...

forum-signature.jpg