Complete Article with References on History of Quenching

A very interesting article .

on page 4 you have a picture of a composit patternwelded swirled blade paterna nd a discription of wootz paterning next to it .is that image soposed to be wootz ?as it is not wootz

A very interesting article .

on page 4 you have a picture of a composit patternwelded swirled blade paterna nd a discription of wootz paterning next to it .is that image soposed to be wootz ?as it is not wootz

Good catch. Actually the caption indicates that it is a Damask Pattern. This picture was obtained from a website of S. Ranganathan, Honorary Professor & Senior Homi Bhabha Fellow, Department of Metallurgy,

Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore 560 012. INDIA.

I have emailed him to verify the source of the picture - whether it is composite pattern welded blade, or something else.

Scott

Edited by kb0fhp

Hey, Scott, count my Kudos, too! When I presumed to be smart enough to teach college level courses in metallurgy and material science, I wandered into the University of Texas of the Permian Basin (Odessa TX) and found that for a new school it had an excellent collection of *COPIES* of old manuscripts. Several of them were on metallurgy and heat treating. I wish I had made some photo copies of the copies.

Scott,

I was reading through there and thought...well, my goodness, those sure look like those pictures Jesus and I took! Cool article.

Walter