Treadle hammer in the works

The over height is 62"

Length from outside of the booms is 28"

The boom is 3-4" rectangular tubing (that I bought from my welding class for 15 $ total, HAHA) 1/4" wall

It will be welded with 1/8" 6011 on the first pass, then 1/8- 1/16 6013 on the second pass to tidely it up.

The hammer head will be variable weight from 15-60 lbs roughly

The T-slots will allow for diffrent dies ( like a power hammer)

For (explitive deleted) and giggles I am going to wire up a small D.C. motor with a 50/1 gear reducer (could be variable speed) and a cam, so it can be automatic or manual.

Going to put can in the anvil boom so it will add mass and deaden noise.

The base will be sandwiched between two steel plates and varying plywood (also to deaden noise)

If anyone has any other ideas please say them, because this is going to be a big project and I want this thing to have all the bells and whistles. lol.

DSC00581.JPG

Anybody have any ideas? Im starting it this weekend, opinions would be appreciated.

Hey Alex,

The only thing I would recommend is to make your ratio foot treadle to ram would be 1 to 2. In other words you push 6" and your ram moves 12". I used one that was 1 to 1 and you get way to much exercises. Just my couple cents.

Alex... Having little to no power to my little shop, I have always toyed with the idea like yours. I look foreward to seeing the finished product. Maybe it will work in my Play Room as I call it.Looks like fun building. Have a ball........ Tim

Get the ABANA plans if you don't already have them.

There is a better way to keep your dies in place; the rear hinge set up needs to be adjustable for height and a few other missing details from your illustration are worked out well in those plans. You want the head and the anvil post to be solid material. The rear post should be hollow but you can fill it with sand to deaden noise and prevent kick up from the hammer strikes. You'll want to bolt that baby down too.

Alex Looks like you are the right track. I built a hammer like this a few years ago. and it works great. It will take a lot research and develeptment. My hammer is mechanical only. It has a 1 horse motor and 50-1 gear reduser that turns a cam inside a 1/2 circle. It hits about every second. The moving part of the hammer weighs about 100lbs and strokes about 12 ins. I connot post pictures yet. Maybe santa will remedy this? I will be glad to help any way I can. e-mail jwstarr1@xanadoo.com

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an update on the treadle hammer, TIG welded the two booms on, then made a second pass with 1/8" 7018

Next I put on some cross peices and TIG welded them with 100% weld.

More to come in the next week.

DSC00662.JPG

DSC00666.JPG

DSC00668.JPG

DSC00670.JPG

DSC00672.JPG

DSC00673.JPG

DSC00678.JPG

DSC00683.JPG

DSC00698.JPG

DSC00697.JPG

Edited by Alex Roy
  • 1 month later...

I decided on a serious re-design, it is going to be an in-line Treadle hammer.

The ram weights 60 lbs, and it will have a 12 inch travel.

These are some pic of me making the dies.

I decided on a serious re-design, it is going to be an in-line Treadle hammer.

The ram weights 60 lbs, and it will have a 12 inch travel.

These are some pic of me making the dies.

The dies are about 48 RC, 2" square X 5 3/4"

I will post some new pics over Christmas Vacation, and a picture of the new design.

Sorry for the delay on the pics.

1.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Edited by Alex Roy

The dies weight about 10-12 pounds a peice so the ram in total weighs about 72 lbs.

The top of the boom is 62 inchs, the anvil is 34 inchs high including the die.

TOMMEGOW, my shop is an accumulated effort of 30 or so years of collection by my dad who is a welder, fabricator and machinist. So dont be jealous, once I move out im back at square one. lol.

The only stuff that will be mine is the treadle hammer, my anvil, hammers, forge and the other knick nacks.

Some updates on the treadle hammer

-Put on the pedal

-Put on guide arm and guide (just for reference_

Soon I will be making the linkage.\

Any ideas or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

Edited by Alex Roy

Wow Alex.Nice tools and shop.What are you going to use as a bearing (slide) guides for the ram?The air hammer I have been using has UHMW high density plastic sheet held in place with keystock and has set screws to snug it up to the ram.Its slick and takes all the play out well.I wish you were closer.I could turn you on to a drop to make a solid anvil with.Carry on brother welder.

• Like 1

Im going to use high speed bearings most likely, they are almost as wide as the guide and I will have one top and bottom on each plane.

On each plane the bearing will be linked up by a cross piece that has a set screw in the center.

The bearing are ment to be on an assembly line for 30 years so I think the slow up and down will have little negative effect.

Oh about the anvil, its rectangular tubing, it doesnt weight all that much but I packed it full of fine sand, it added another 50 lbs.

Its funny because even if I whale on it with a hammer it sounds like a tree stump.

Being that I have neighboors in close proximity im doing all that I can to deaden the noise. If anyone has more ideas on killing noise and for the hammer by all means, post away.

~Alex Roy~

Edited by Alex Roy

Aquaplas, it's a paint used on the insides of firetrucks which, apparently really helps with sound dampening. I need to get ahold of some for my noisy old blower! :P There are probably other products like it, Aquaplas was the one mentioned in my armouring book though.

Hope it helps! Looks great!

Edit: I googled "Aquaplas sound dampening" and here's a thread one some forum somewhere on the web about soundproofing things with sprays etc.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=6387

Edited by Archie Zietman
  • 7 months later...

AHHHHHHHH!! WRAP UR CORNERS ON THOSE WELDS!!!! by only welding the flats uve got a weak spot in the joint, might seem like over kill but whats 20 more mins of welding to keep the whole thing in 1 pice. looks good though, i used one in the trade school i learned to blacksmith its a lot of help. our bottom dies were put in just like the hardy tools on an anvil, and the top dies used a wedge to hold it in place. made for quick changes and a very snug anchor point. we guided out ram with roller blade wheels, works great, the ram was a huge piece of 8" diam round stock! about 2 feet long I have no clue what it weighted but it could sure mash some steel. dunno where we got the 8" round stock that piece had just always been in the shop so we used it.

Im going to use high speed bearings most likely, they are almost as wide as the guide and I will have one top and bottom on each plane.

On each plane the bearing will be linked up by a cross piece that has a set screw in the center.

The bearing are ment to be on an assembly line for 30 years so I think the slow up and down will have little negative effect.

Oh about the anvil, its rectangular tubing, it doesnt weight all that much but I packed it full of fine sand, it added another 50 lbs.

Its funny because even if I whale on it with a hammer it sounds like a tree stump.

Being that I have neighboors in close proximity im doing all that I can to deaden the noise. If anyone has more ideas on killing noise and for the hammer by all means, post away.

~Alex Roy~

Alex,

I'm building my version of Daniel Gentile's "krusty" ,and since my anvil post is similar to yours, he suggests filling it up with cement for added weight and strength. I haven't done it yet since I'm still doing the frame assembly and stuff, so I can't say how good the cement will hold up. I'll be starting a new thread on my krusty as soon as I get a decent progress.

• 6 months later...