How is wire inlay done?

I am almost ready to start work on a handle for my blade and i want to put inlay into african black wood but i dont know how. Im not even sure if this extemely hard wood will take inlay so i tought someone might be able to help. I would greatly apreciate your input :D

it would be in your best interest to try a softer wood like maple to learn how to do wire inlay. wire can be inlaid into the harder exotic woods,but the process usually involves carving channels into the wood with rotary burrs. check the search function and you may find more setailed instructions.

I am almost ready to start work on a handle for my blade and i want to put inlay into african black wood but i dont know how. Im not even sure if this extemely hard wood will take inlay so i tought someone might be able to help. I would greatly apreciate your input :D

Austin,

There are a couple of video's out that cover the how to's. The wire used is actually silver ribbon not wire. About .013" thick and about 1/8" wide. I went in with some others a while back and had some drawn out, but you can use silver bezel wire from ReoGrande jewelry supply in a pinch. You need to make a small chisel, not very wide and the thickness of your wire. Then you chisel a grove into the wood, and then after lightly hammering one edge of the wire to give it a thinner edge you tap the wire into the grove. The reason it is usually done on maple or walnut is because these woods swell when wet. Which is your next step. Wet the wood, which raises the grain and also swells the wood closed around the wire, then sand it smooth, repeat a couple of times This is the simple explaination. I've seen it done with other woods but that sometimes takes a little crazy glue to hold the wire in. Where do you live? If you anywhere near S.Cal. I could show you how its done. Its not that hard, but there is a little more to it then I explained, but thats the basics.

Tony G