How about some thought

OK you all have seen me lurking around here for sometime now. Well here we go I am attempting my first big gun so let me know what you all think. Go easy on me now. :P

The blade measures 9 1/4" to where the guard will be, it is 1 9/16" wide and 1/4" thick. It is Harley chain with a 1095 core.

IMG_0302.JPG

Edited by Mike Turner

Lookin good Mike i like big knives. Show us again when you get it cleaned up and etched.

Bob

OK here is a little update. This is just a test etch, the blade has not been HT yet. Sorry for the bad pic, fluorescent lights suck, it is way brighter than the pic. The Harley chain pattern is pretty much washed out, it was only about half the chain. Let me know what you think. This is not only open to Bobs by the way. :blink::P Come on lets hear from you guys, don't be shy just be gentle. :lol:

harley_chain_blade1.jpg

harley_chain_blade2.jpg

Bob O,

HMMMM mammoth ivory, I like the idea. :D

Alan,

Thanks for being the first non Bob, Even though the pattern is really stretched I still like it. Bob O said in a chat that he thought it looked like camouflage.

B Wiggins,

OK what is the B for? It's not Bob is it? :P

Thanks guys for your approval I will take some pics outside in better light. It does look better than it came out it the pics.

I was thinking camo too! I like the bowie shape, looking forward to seeing it finished.

I have taken a couple pics outside, boy I need to make a light box.

Guy and Don,

Thanks for the encouragement. I will be HT it later today.

harley_chain_blade3.jpg

harley_chain_blade4.jpg

Edited by Mike Turner

Adlai,

Thanks for the compliment, I too have been one that really did not like Bowie's, but I have been seeing so many beautiful Bowie's here I think I may be looking at them different now. Now I need to find a nice piece of mammoth ivory! :D

As an update I have heat treated it and have it finished to 400 grit. Also today I started the wrought iron S guard and spacers. I will take some more pics when I get the guard fitted.

Once you get it cleaned up form HT and etched again, post it.

Do another photo outside like the one above and let's see the difference.

Curious how much darker it etches, as I've read they tend to etch darker since they're harder, *shrugs* So I'm kinda curious.

Mike, that pattern is very interesting and I look forward to seeing it finished.

Brent,

I will be starting the hand sanding on the blade tonight and forged the S guard earlier today out of some 160+ year old WI from anchor chain. I am hoping to have the blade and S guard put together this weekend for some photos. I can't wait to see what the pattern is going to look like, I keep wanting to just dip it and see but I am restraining myself.

hey mike,

good to see that you're putting the new toys of yours to some good use ;)

great work, and quite some amazing pattern...

I did a few chainsaw things... but never something from a harley... very organic.

good idea to put some plain carbon steel in for the cutting edge... that way you sure don't have to worry about the rest.

looking forward to see the guard (mostly 'cause the wi).

keep it goin!

cheers

Daniel

Mike,

I love the long clip and the pattern of the welds. It does have a camo look about it. I'm not big on synthetics for handles personally, but that would make a great combat bowie. Thanks for taking the time to show the progression.

Rev

Daniel,

Yep those new toys came in handy let me tell you. :P Glad you like it.

Rev,

I had a friend of mine said the same thing combat bowie. :blink: I am not big on synthetic handle material either.

OK here is some update pics. Hand sanded the blade to 800 grit. The WI S guard was sanded to 400. Both have been etched in 3 to 1 distilled water to ferric chloride.

harley_chain_blade5.jpg

harley_chain_blade7.jpg

harley_chain_blade6.jpg

harley_chain_blade8.jpg

harley_chain_blade9.jpg