How about some thought

Thanks Daniel glad you like it. This weekend I will do the spacers it Will be 2 in WI and one in stainless will also be trying to find a piece of mammoth ivory without breaking the bank :D .

• 2 weeks later...

Like they said, wow, looks great. Can't wait to see the finished product. Been scrounging up old chainsaw blades to try some of this my self. Sure hope it turns out half as good as this one did.Great job sir.... Tim

Thanks Tim,

I have been collecting chainsaw chains too, I think I will try welding them in a couple of different ways and see what gives me a better result. I have to go out of town for a week for work so I won't get to play with this one till I get back.

It is comming along real good Mike! I have noticed that old wrought etches real nice when i alternate between FC and 20% vinegar. I do the vinegar over night and 3-5 minute dunks in 1:1 FC and water. After each one I scrub it with 0000 steel wool. I am doing a bowie "S" guard right now and it is on it's second day of etching.

It is comming along real good Mike! I have noticed that old wrought etches real nice when i alternate between FC and 20% vinegar. I do the vinegar over night and 3-5 minute dunks in 1:1 FC and water. After each one I scrub it with 0000 steel wool. I am doing a bowie "S" guard right now and it is on it's second day of etching.

Hey Brent,

How is your back? I am wondering do you warm your solutions? A friend was telling me I should warm my solution to 75 or 80 degrees for best results. I had not heard that one before so I figure I would ask. I have been using an old tooth brush and 2000 grit sandpaper, should I go with the steel wool? Be sure to post some pics of your S guard I sure would like to see it.

Looking just awesome Mike i sure hope you find a suitable piece of ivory it will look beautifull.

Bob

I keep my etching fluids inside so they are around 70-75 degrees. They will be a bit more aggresive when you raise the temps. The carding is just to get some of the lighter oxides off so the fluids will keep contacting newer material.

There are lots of etching techniques and I have tried many of them and when I run across a new one I will try that also.

The back is still badly srewed up, all next month is filled up with doc visits, PT, MRI's etc. PITA!!!!!!

Edited by B Finnigan

I decided to experiement a little with the etch on this one. Since my FC is pretty much used up I dropped a chunk of copper in it for an hour. Then I etched the guard and it picked up some of the copper that was dissolved into solution. The pic doesn't show it but it is very prismatic when you refract the light off of it. Looking straight at it you don't really see it but from an angle the copper hue can be seen. The guard was coated with melted beeswax and then baked in the oven at 200 for an hour. Then with the wax still melted I wipped it off and then buffed it after it cooled. This has worked real well for protecting wrought form oxidation. It is also very "old school".

I can always re-etch it in fresh FC if I change my mind about the copper patina.

HPIM1542.jpg

I don't want to hijack your thread Mike. But I thought the copper patina was knid of cool. I may have to try it with different alloys of brass to see what happens.

You should be able to coax out a little more grain on your guard, that is if you want to.

Edited by B Finnigan
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Brent,

Don't worry about hijacking the thread I like the extra input. I will be etching the guard more to get the graining to come out more.

Well I have been trying to get a piece of mammoth ivory and I am not having any luck all I am finding is scale material. I contacted Turnage and he has nothing at this time and told me it would be around $300 or more as that is what he would get if he cut it to scales. :angry: . I may just do a piece of stag just because I think I am taking it with out lube on this one. :huh:

You could get a set of thicker scales and glue them together bark side out to make a block. There are alot of scales available.

I just ordered a 15" tusk section for the mantle above our wood stove.

Edited by B Finnigan