Sign in to follow this  
Nick Wheeler

mounting blower to pipe

Well, the two blowers came in from Surplus Center. They are great. New in box, and wired up and ran super quiet and smooth.

But now I'm stuck for a way to attach them to my 1.25" pipe. I looked at standard floor mounting flanges with the idea that I would re-drill my own holes, but the things are just too thick and bulky.

What are some of my options here?

Thanks in advance,

John

John, I'm guessing you must not have any equipment to weld with?

I just welded up some mounting flanges for my blowers with pipe and 1/8" sheet.

Sorry, I'm not much help...

Nick

Nick,

Thanks. You are right. I have no welding equip. at home. But I do have access to tons of  it every Sat. I am just impatient and was wondering if anyone had a quick fix  ???

Did you flame cut the holes in the sheet or use a hole saw?

John

low budget man again,  :P

i don't have a welder and since the piping shouldnt get to hot given the cool air blowing through it i used round aluminum duct (like the back of your dryer) then to attach it to the pipe i used pvc adapter from 3" pvc to 1" nipple pipe.

AS long as it doesn't get hot, pvc will work well. I use pvc ball valves to regulate my air flow. You can also heat and melt pvc pipe to conform to the blower outlet. A heat gun works, but it takes a while to heat up.

You can form PVC with the oven, set it at about 300F, and it is quite soft and pliable. Low temp salt works real good for this too.  :)

Thanks for all the replies.

I simply used 1/8" mild steel plate, free out of the dumpsterof a local steel supplier. I used a bandsaw and belt grinder to shape the outside of the phlange to match the blower outlet. For the hole I wanted to be right on for maximum airflow, so I went with a 1.25" hole saw. I then drilled screw holes to correspond to those on the blower outlet and welded the phlange to the 1.25" pipe. As far as controlling airflow, Don's suggestion of the magnetic material used in signs is absolutely perfect. I had trouble with the sheet metal versions vibrating out of place, but no more. I should also add that I even rigged up a burner using high quality brass gate valves, but found it fairly unimpressive both in terms of control and ease of use. But I am happy I did it and saw for myself which system worked best for me.

Thanks all,

John

The metal foil tape they use to seal furnace ducts works pretty well. Another good fix is a tin can. Get one with the open end the size of the larger pipe, and cut a hole in the smaller end. You can cut it with a utility knife if you're careful; make the hole a bit small, and flare the edges with a ball peen. You can also cut slits and fold out the open end to make a flange to bolt the can over a square fan. Foil tape helps seal the connection if you do it that way.

Better late than never, maybe this will help someone else.

" As far as controlling airflow, Don's suggestion of the magnetic material used in signs is absolutely perfect. I had trouble with the sheet metal versions vibrating out of place, but no more. I should also add that I even rigged up a burner using high quality brass gate valves, but found it fairly unimpressive both in terms of control and ease of use."

I think the gate valve system may work best when using a blower with output way higher than these little 15 cfm blowers. At least that's what Kevin Cashen indicates on his website.

Since my welding leaves a bit to be desired (big understatement there) I mounted my blower a little differently. I had some giant construction washers laying around here so I took one of those and mounted the blower on it using bolts and some gasket material and then mounted the washer/blower assembly to a floor flange again with bolts with some more gasket material.

Where should I look for the magnetic sign material, Wal-mart or do places like Home Depot carry it?

Guy,

I looked at floor flanges, but they were bigger than the entire blower! Heavy too.

I was not clear. I rigged up the Cashen/Zowada burner with a big, new, positive pressure blower and wider diameter pipe. The thing gets plenty hot, but control is not superb.

I couldn't find the magnetic material at those places. I was having some signs made anyway, so I bought a bunch of white blank material from the sign shop. I got 2'x4' which is more than I'll use in the next 10 years. If you can't find it, I'll sell you half of it for half of what I paid. (I'll dig up the receipt if you are interested).

John

I gotcha now John about the Cashen/Zowada burner. That's very interesting though because I was going to try a burner of that arrangement eventually also.

Yeah these little blowers aren't very big are they? The floor flange and construction washer arrangement was just simple for me to throw together until my welding improves. I welded some shelves just below the openings on my upright forge body and they are on there but I'd be embarassed for anyone who knows the slightest thing about welding to see them! :P I really need to get better with this ancient stick welder of mine! Unfortunately the local Vo-Tech center no longer offers welding courses! I don't know how anyone gets anything done with these &%$@ face shields you have to flip up and down all the time either!

Dig up that receipt because I may take you up on that offer, but I'm going to ask one of my co-workers first. He and a friend opened a small karate gym not too long ago that they had to close down and I would swear they had magnetic signs for their cars. He might just give them to me but it's also just as likely he threw them away. I wish I had thought to ask him before he left on a Thanksgiving trip.