My Patternwelding Video

Hey...

besides changing a few business things (read: http://www.bladesmithsforum.com/index.php?showtopic=6311)

I was busy starting a new project... something I wanted to make since quite some time: FORGING VIDEOS... at a GOOD QUALITY...

frankly, I had neve done much video filming or editing... however my lovely girl studies arts (first in carrara, italy) then here in switzerland... part of her studies includes modern medias such as movies...

thus she has some skills with filming and was able to teach me some basics about how to cut and add sound to a movie... as well as renting the necessary equipment ;)

well the first result is a 7:31min movie showing the art of patternwelding, a few seconds of grinding and heat treatment...

it's on my new website's video section: http://www.ferrum.cc/en/online/videos.html

(you can download various high quality format... you would be amazed at what is possiblle within less than 50 megabytes ;)

or can be watched at YouTube:

at a quite acceptable quality...

let me know what you think

nice section..... and the vid was super... much better than the 2 that i bought... ..

i believe that the youtube phoenomena is a powerful one... lotsa folks are gonna see this..

thank you

Greg

ps..love the music ;) maybe needs some "tool" ;);)

nice section..... and the vid was super... much better than the 2 that i bought... ..

i believe that the youtube phoenomena is a powerful one... lotsa folks are gonna see this..

thank you

Greg

ps..love the music ;) maybe needs some "tool" ;);)

thanks

tool would have been good... I've got most the discs ... however I found it hard to find a matching track...

"Milktoast" by "Helmet" had just the right beat for the powerhammer... so I thought why not...

and the rage song is called "Fistful of Steel" ... which I found to be quite matching, especially as it starts slow and instruments only...

glad you liked it...

I'm planing to do quite some more, especially a long one (DVD) about swordmaking... but that will take a few months...

daniel

Very nice video. Like the Rustyhammer also and very easy to understand. Your matching of "CONAN" with the blade forging was cool too. Thanks for the effort.

Thanks !

the sound (conan soundtrack)... I just had to do it :D:DB)

Very well done video. It is a very good idea to make the long one and to sell it, since there is lack of high quality stuff like the DVD you could make. I too would be interested to buy it if the price is reasonable. For the long one, I suggest you to put english subtitles, since them could make it easier to understand for people (like me) that don't speak english too often.

Whenever I find people that listen to helmet I think its cool. They are a great band but they never quite made it big in America. Great job with the video, I love seeing my passion that I share with alot of people on film, makes you want to run out to the forge and fire it up. Keep inspiring us all.

Larry

Guys,

thanks for all the kind words on my first video project...

it's very encouraging to do more ... and I will...

helmet has never really made it to the most popular levels... however I still think they make good sound.

not too many know them...

Very nice! Your coke forge is the cleanest solid-fuel forge I think I have ever seen... ;)

it's pretty clean...

that's one of the things I love about coke fires, they're rather easy to keep clean if you know the basics...

besides it's the fuel I used at the begining when I learned how to forgeweld... so it's kind of natural to me to maintain the fire... not much thinking needed... ;)

Very well done video. It is a very good idea to make the long one and to sell it, since there is lack of high quality stuff like the DVD you could make. I too would be interested to buy it if the price is reasonable. For the long one, I suggest you to put english subtitles, since them could make it easier to understand for people (like me) that don't speak english too often.

thanks..

of course the DVD will have multiple language subtitles.. for sure german, english and maybe even italian...

and don't worry about the price... it'll be fair (read: affordable).

daniel

Great video Daniel! Short, informative and tot he point. I have a few friends that just don't get forging and forge welding no matter how I try to explain it to them. Now I can email the link to them since a picture is worth a thousand words.

Sweet video, bro.... I THOUGHT that sounded like Helmet playing in the background at one point!!

Are O! and L your favorite combination?

thanks!

indeed, the O1 or O2 and L6 steels are my favourites...

They weld nicely... the contrast is amazing and quite a few finishes are possible...

the edge holding, stability, flexibility is great... makes a long lasting knife.. can be used easily up to sword length.

besides it is not corrosion resistant (stainless) but it takes a lot and makes a good "outdoor steel" too.

15n20 works well also (however it's difficult to get here, so usually not an option).

sometimes I do the old O1 + Mild Steel thing... rarely... but sometimes.

however, usually not when I have it at the cutting edge.

thanks..

of course the DVD will have multiple language subtitles.. for sure german, english and maybe even italian...

and don't worry about the price... it'll be fair (read: affordable).

daniel

Fine... If you need help with Italian subtitles I can easily translate from english. I'm also a very good writer. Anyway with italian subtitles you could sell MANY more copies in Italy; 95% of the hobbists knifemaker don't buy Hrisoulas' books since they don't speak english...

Edited by Giuseppe Maresca

Very cool vid .you've got to be carefull about copyrighted music you could get screw'd especialy if you plan to sell it .

but cool ,very cool

Very cool vid .you've got to be carefull about copyrighted music you could get screw'd especialy if you plan to sell it .

but cool ,very cool

aye, I'm aware about the copyright stuff... on the videos I gonna sell there'll be no such thing... I may will ask some guys I know to make some cool metal for the video though...

but as this project was "non-profit" / "non-commercial" I thought that no one would really care about ;)

daniel

Excellent video Daniel, well paced, good sounds and graphics.

Did you make the power hammer you are using in the video, if so are there plans available?

Cheers Rex

Rex,

thanks...

aye, I've made the powerhammer...

the plans are available for free (18 pages A3 full 3D CAD with measurments)... downloadable as PDF...

here's the direct Link: http://www.ferrum.cc/en/plans-drawings/mec...mmer-plans.html

let me know if you have any questions.

cheers,

Daniel

Cool video, look forward to the DVD , might just have to get it.

Any idea on how long you're gonna aim for the running length?

somewehre around 2+ hours.

I'm not yet sure... it'll depend on how much video material I'll collect... maybe I'll have to split it into two dvd volumes.

it'll be a lot of work anyways... but It's something I wanted to do for a some time now ;)