forging knives from big stock

Loyd,

I use the horn of my anvil and a hammer with a rounded face for drawing A crosspein would help as well. When I get closer to the size stock that I need I go to a flat face to smooth out the piece. I too would work your steel hotter.

This is by far the best info I've seen. thanks...

I never thought about using the horn as an aide in drawing. I'll try that tonight if it quits snowing here in Colorado.

I can't tell the difference with my tiny little anvil. It's as solid as a rock and I can't imagine a heavier piece of iron bieng better.

Well thanks to everyone again.

Regards

Loyd shindelbower

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The edge of the anvil, and the edge of the hammer face, in alignment, like the dies in a power hammer. Take little "bites". The horn and a rounded piene on the hammer will work as well, though not as quickly. And yes, get it hotter, as has been mentioned.

Everyone should read "The edge of the Anvil", and "The New Edge of the Anvil". The authors name escapes me at the moment.

Edited by Howard Clark

The edge of the anvil, and the edge of the hammer face, in alignment, like the dies in a power hammer. Take little "bites". The horn and a rounded piene on the hammer will work as well, though not as quickly. And yes, get it hotter, as has been mentioned.

Everyone should read "The edge of the Anvil", and "The New Edge of the Anvil". The authors name escapes me at the moment.

Jack Andrews/ Skipjack Press

I've just acquired a couple hammers over the 3 pound mark, and I'm hoping to give them a shot later today. I worry that my skinny little butt won't be able to hack it for too long, though -- I'm 6'2" and 152lbs! Some of you big SOB's could likely use ME as a hammer! My head is at LEAST as dense as most of my hammer heads, too... so next hammer in, we'll give it a shot! :blink::D

Edited by Mr Purple

I've just acquired a couple hammers over the 3 pound mark, and I'm hoping to give them a shot later today. I worry that my skinny little butt won't be able to hack it for too long, though -- I'm 6'2" and 152lbs! Some of you big SOB's could likely use ME as a hammer! My head is at LEAST as dense as most of my hammer heads, too... so next hammer in, we'll give it a shot! :blink::D

Well, on a good note, with a big hammer you don't have to swing it for as long :)

-d

Read Haword's post again!!

I did a lot of anvil work before I got a power hammer and tried hammers from 1 lb to 9lbs. I found that I was most efficient with a 2-1/2 lb hammer for 95% of the bladesmithing I was doing.

I'm 5-10 and 220 lbs. not overweight, just too short ;):D

And by the way. As was said above, a larger anvil will help.

Edited by Don Hanson

My usual hammer is a 2.5 pound crosspein.

Be VERY careful about using hammers bigger than you can swing accurately. That's a good way to hurt yourself, either through tendonitis caused by the "death grip" syndrome, or by missing the work and catching the rebound between the eyes. :wacko: Don't laugh, it happens!

Tyler, looks like we ought to start a club! 'No-Ass Knifemakers' has a nice ring to it, no? :blink::lol:

Lets do it!

Tyler Murch- 6'2" 140

My, God, Tyler! Eat somethin'!!

I do eat....a lot. I'm a growin' boy.

Edited by Murch

- I'm 6'2" and 152lbs! Some of you big SOB's could likely use ME as a hammer!

Tyler Murch- 6'2" 140

How is it you guys are both taller than me and I've got almost 2/3 of your weight on you? :blink: I am amazed every day... :P

As for the hammer issue. Some people like their heavy, short handled hammers, some like their lighter, long handled hammers. I happen to use the same type of hammer as Deker (unless he's not using that one anymore) However, my professor believes in LONG handles. But hey, I say use what ever works for you.

I forgot to post my height/weight: 6'1" 230 I haven't weighed my self in a while so I'm not too sure on that one :P

Wow, bro... that's not even right!

...and don't tell me -- you, murch and I eat as much as many third world countries produce in a year, right? My boss says that my tapeworm has a tapeworm.

So really, what are we going to call our 'over 6 footer but under 160 pounder' club?

Tried using a 4 pound and a 4.5 pound hammer yesterday... moves stuff fast, but I'm just not strong enough to control it properly. Back to the 3 pounder and the 2.5 pounder for me!

Wow, bro... that's not even right!

...and don't tell me -- you, murch and I eat as much as many third world countries produce in a year, right? My boss says that my tapeworm has a tapeworm.

So really, what are we going to call our 'over 6 footer but under 160 pounder' club?

Tried using a 4 pound and a 4.5 pound hammer yesterday... moves stuff fast, but I'm just not strong enough to control it properly. Back to the 3 pounder and the 2.5 pounder for me!

Nothin' wrong with using a lighter hammer ^_^ I still have trouble with you all being so skinny... I don't know how you tall guys can be so skinny... :wacko:

N.A.B.S. has a pretty nice ring to it. Now we just need to see if Don will allow us to have an identifying header under our names!

Does everyone have preferences in hammer shapes, as well as weights? The ones I've seemed to have the best luck with are a 3 pound drilling hammer I polished the faces of (after knocking the edges off the hammer faces, of course), and a 2.2 pound Peddinghaus. I seem to prefer choking up on the Peddinghaus, which I know is defeating a big part of the leverage advantage, but it's most likely due to my inaccuracy and lack of skill.

Does everyone have preferences in hammer shapes, as well as weights?

depends on what you are trying to do with it.

i have a whole bunch of hammers, mostly modified, but there always seem to be a few that i come back to.

i have a 1.5kg cross pein square which I use for moving metal that have insulted me.

i use a flat rectangle faced straight pein that i use for drawing or developing the tang.

a slanted round that i use for bevels

and my favourite is just a nicely crowned round thats about 750g, but with a nice long handle for putting a good swing into it.

for the most part i use just the round.. as i prefer to spend the day forging rather than forge one thing and get totally knackered. ^_^

but i find that if i use the hammers that are modified for a specific purpose, then i dont waste time trying to struggle with a hammer trying to move metal in ways i just dont want it to go.

i just got to remember to actually pick up the right hammer ... rather than get lazy and just stick with whats in my hand at the time :D

N.A.B.S. has a pretty nice ring to it. Now we just need to see if Don will allow us to have an identifying header under our names!

yeah, it could be something like that firey beard thing :lol: but different. not firey, something else. not a beard, something else

yeah, it could be something like that firey beard thing :lol: but different. not firey, something else. not a beard, something else

You guys need a stick figure with your head on it. :lol::P

That's excellent!

Stick figures with hammers and fiery beards! Anyone have any creative drawing skills?

Back to the hammering questions... Dee, do you have a pic or example of the hammer you described as :

"a slanted round that i use for bevels"

... I'm having trouble picturing both slanted AND round, so any help would be appreciated.

Hey I would like to join the skinny runt no ass club but you would have to cut me in two :D or do I just pay for 2 memberships :lol: .

Edited by Mike Turner