forging knives from big stock

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PS- We don't want any lummoxes in our club, so beat it. :P:D

I can take a hint, just don't invite any big guys to your hammer partys one of us might slip you little guys a mickey to get rid of your tapeworms. :lol::P;)

Back to the hammering questions... Dee, do you have a pic or example of the hammer you described as :

"a slanted round that i use for bevels"

hey M~

its nothing too technical .. :)

its a round pein hammer .. with the pein part cut off ..

and then crown the round face .. and cut/grind two flat edges at opposite sides of the face.

basically its just so that when i forge i can get a lot more of hammer to make contact with the bevels without the corner of the face striking the anvils face and marring it.

so .. if you picture the moment of striking the steel with the hammer and then move the hammer over towards the anvil and whatever touches the anvil, you cut off.

cant take a piccy right now cause the batteries are dead .. but if you still want one i will take a piccy or two and show you what i mean.

^_^

Stick figures with hammers and fiery beards! Anyone have any creative drawing skills?

oh ... and id like to make a point that some of us dont want fiery beards ... ok?

:D

Edited by Dee

Not using it? Are you nuts?! It's a Hofi man! I'll probably take it with me in my casket! :D

-d

Are the hoffi hammers any good ?I've got no problem paying £70 for one if they work .

With regard to bashing big stuff ,a power hammer all the way!!! as big hammers can trash your elbows shoulders and any other tendons in the way .I spent 4 years without a power hammer and for the money they are a got to have.The only problem with them is that when you get a power hammer you can forge big stuff and then all of a sudden you need a bigger power hammer !!!

I forge with a 1.5kg straight pein with a bit of the weight drilled out of it so I can swing it fast .but mainly use power hammer .

I have observed that skinny arses can indeed whop stuff hard with both big and little hammers alas tis an elite club that I shall never fit in to .

cant take a piccy right now cause the batteries are dead .. but if you still want one i will take a piccy or two and show you what i mean.

I think I get it, but a pic never hurts either! No mad rush, but if you do get a chance I'd certainly appreciated it.

oh ... and id like to make a point that some of us dont want fiery beards ... ok?

:D

I think this club should be all about acceptance of diversity (unless of course you're a big fat bastid, then @#!* off! :P:D )so no beard for you!

I think the first rule of the club is that we can't talk about the club. Then the second rule should be that you CAN'T talk about the club. :D

• 3 weeks later...

So after all the recommendations I went out and spent a few days beating on metal. I bought a whole box of cheap ball peen hammers from harbor freight. It doesn't matter what size I use now, 3 lbs is about right though. I heat the metal up to just above orange and smack the H@#ll out of it with the ball end of the peen and it moves. A cross peen doesn't work very well because it leaves a heavy mark that's hard to remove.

So the key way hotter and use the round end, not the flat end.

Regards

Loyd Shindelbower

Are the hoffi hammers any good ?I've got no problem paying £70 for one if they work .

Personally, I LOVE my Hofi hammer. It's ~2.3lbs and I can really move some steel with it. You will get more out of it if you use Uri Hofi's methods (which I'm still working on...). If you're using Hofi's method of hammer control you can forge all day, really moving some steel, and not have your arm get all tired out. The shock mounted handle also makes a big difference IMHO. I have almost zero soreness and/or blisters that I used to get after switching to my Hofi. I actually want another one that's about 3lbs...and one about 1.5lbs if I could get that as well....

In other words, "worth every penny".

I do most of my work with my Hofi and then switch to an 800g Peddinghaus cross-pien for light finish work on bevels, etc. I also occationally use an 800G Peddinghaus french pattern when I want a large, flat face. I also picked up a little homemade hammer at an antique store that has the most ugly, most comfortable handle EVER. I need to get a new wedge made to tighten it up a bit and then I'll likely use it for some of my light finish work.

-d

• 7 months later...

I think this club should be all about acceptance of diversity (unless of course you're a big fat bastid, then @#!* off! :P:D )so no beard for you!

I think the first rule of the club is that we can't talk about the club. Then the second rule should be that you CAN'T talk about the club. :D

Rolling on the floor laughing my non existant ass off

I'monna start working on a logo. We need to get this thing off the ground.

I agree! We need to unite, to stop the oppression of the Chosen Thin Ones by the Massive Masses.

I'll be changing my sig line in just a moment to match, Ty!

UNITED WE STAND!!!!!

ALL 50 POUNDS OF US!!!!!

Gentlemen,

This whole W1 drill rod talk sparked some ideas in my head. Since I can't get any good water-hardening steels here, I thought of buying a drill rod myself. Now, my question goes: are drill rods solid round bars? Or are they hollow, like pipes? Sorry. but I haven't seen a drill rod in my life.

Thanks!

Gentlemen,

This whole W1 drill rod talk sparked some ideas in my head. Since I can't get any good water-hardening steels here, I thought of buying a drill rod myself. Now, my question goes: are drill rods solid round bars? Or are they hollow, like pipes? Sorry. but I haven't seen a drill rod in my life.

Thanks!

Solid!

• 2 weeks later...

My brother built me one of those McDonald type rolling mills. Reducing big round stock to nice flat bars is what this thing was made for though. It's no trouble at all to roll out 1.5" round stock into 1/4" flat bars, you just have to heat it long enough for the heat to soak through to the middle.

I haven't had much luck trying to do pattern welded stuff though because the flux makes the steel too slippery and the rollers won't grab it. I tried brushing as much of the flux off as I can but it still just slides against the rollers.

HSJackson~

ive got a roller too ..

it doesnt take too much flux on the billet for it to get ultra super mega slippery ..

but i find that if you take a good scraper and have a real good go at it with that .. its sometimes a lot easier to get a large amount of flux off ... rather than the usual wire brush.

also, if the compression is too much compared to the billet .. then when you put your foot to the machine, it wont take much flux at all for it to start spinning .. so if you still find that its not moving the billet, just wind it down a little and try again, even if you are only rolling the slightest amount .. and then wind it back up and keep going.

just thought id mention it.

HSJackson~

ive got a roller too ..

it doesnt take too much flux on the billet for it to get ultra super mega slippery ..

but i find that if you take a good scraper and have a real good go at it with that .. its sometimes a lot easier to get a large amount of flux off ... rather than the usual wire brush.

also, if the compression is too much compared to the billet .. then when you put your foot to the machine, it wont take much flux at all for it to start spinning .. so if you still find that its not moving the billet, just wind it down a little and try again, even if you are only rolling the slightest amount .. and then wind it back up and keep going.

just thought id mention it.

Thanks for the tips. I'll try the scraper and taking smaller bites next time. Once that flux hardens on the rollers, it's a real mess too.