j. walters

Heat Treating Salt Recipies

I've uploaded the U.S. Mil Specs for heat treating salts in .pdf format.

It has recipes for different classes of low-temperature salts as well as the 50/50 calcium chloride/sodium Chloride high-temp salts.

All of the salts needed to mix them up are easily found, and much much less expensive than buying the proprietary mixes.

Heat Treating Salt .pdf

thats great ..

thanks for the pdf.

now ... if i can only find someone around here that will sell me this stuff.

even finding calcium chloride is tricky ive found.

:(

they always think im trying to make a bomb or something.

oh well... i wouldnt trust me if i were them either.

^_^

thats great ..

thanks for the pdf.

now ... if i can only find someone around here that will sell me this stuff.

even finding calcium chloride is tricky ive found.

:(

they always think im trying to make a bomb or something.

oh well... i wouldnt trust me if i were them either.

^_^

Calcium chloride is often available at most hardware stores and convenience stores like Wal Mart this time of year if you live in an area where it snows and ices a lot since it is used as a de-icer. I bought 50 pounds pretty cheaply from an online hardware/home products type store. Regular sodium chloride is readily available in large quantities for water softening systems.

The nitrates and nitites are the tricky fellers to get and you are right all the sellers are skittish of anyone who inquires into buying them. It's a shame too because they are dirt cheap if you could buy the raw material. Most people resort to using a good blueing salt for the low temp pot.

hmm ..

i dont think its ever snowed over where i am in Australia.

:D

thats the problem .. there is little call for it .. so its one of the spendy ones in these parts ..

i used to buy some nitrates/nitrites for my own blueing baths .. but someone got a little careless and blew that shop up .. :blink:

soooo .. i guess no more blueing for me fun boy.

i sure do know about twitchy .. i feel bad for them .. they are so scared of selling anything to the wrong people, i doubt that they make any money in the end of it.

mind you, it doesnt help that i have olive skin and a 'foreign' look about me .. :ph34r:

i probably would be refused sodium chloride if i asked them for it. :)

i might have to wait outside the store, like a teenager around a liquor store, and pay some white guy to go in and get me my chems. ^_^

hmm ..

i dont think its ever snowed over where i am in Australia.

thats the problem .. there is little call for it .. so its one of the spendy ones in these parts ..

i used to buy some nitrates/nitrites for my own blueing baths .. but someone got a little careless and blew that shop up .. :blink:

soooo .. i guess no more blueing for me fun boy.

i might have to wait outside the store, like a teenager around a liquor store, and pay some white guy to go in and get me my chems. ^_^

Do they sell fertilizers down there ;) Simple source for the low-temp stuff (all of the ingredients).

Any idea how the shop blew up?

yes .. lots of fertilisers around these parts ...

its just a matter of knowing which one would work.

i know that there used to be a garden shop nearby that sold potassium nitrate in large bags for such uses, but they went out of business last year .. ack!

thats what you get when you dilly dally :)

i will have to go looking into garden shops .. and see what i can find ..

though even there .. i know that you now are required to supply photo ID when purchasing some products in some stores, especially in quantity.

but that i can handle.

:)

nope .. i have no idea what actually happened to the place.

all i know is that i heard on the news of some big fire near us, didnt catch the name of the place and thought nothing of it.

a couple weeks later i wanted to pick something up from that place and went there and they were still operating, but out of a blackened building .. and had only limited supply on everything.

kinda sad really.

i hate when suppliers that ive managed to track down and log, just decide to retire .. or blow their shop up .. without one bit of consideration for me and my work .. i mean, i dont remember being consulted.

Thanks. This helps alot.

Any idea what mix is "ideal" for mix #5? It seems about 50-50 Sodium Chloride and Potassium Chloride, but I am wondering if 60-40 in one direction or the other might not help with stability, etc.

Thanks,

John

Edited by John Frankl

Done

Oh, now you do it. After I've repeatedly lost and re-found this document on the Web, and finally had the sense to download it. Thanks! :)

I have been trying to down load J.Walters Heat treating Recipies PDF file for several weeks, but keep getting a page not available message. Could someone send me a copy of this file that they down loaded? Please send to: larry@dragonswatch.com. Thanks, Larry

I keep getting the same message "site temporarily unavailable". Is there a way to get a copy of the .pdf attached to a message in this thread or stored / pinned along with this thread?

Thanks,

Dan

Attn: moderators.

The pdf is 789kb in size. If it can be stored in/on this forum, post a response and I will provide a copy.

If anyone knows of a means of storing this type of info wherein the document can be readily accessed by the public without the hackers getting to it, post the info and I will check it out when I get some free time.

Attn: moderators.

The pdf is 789kb in size. If it can be stored in/on this forum, post a response and I will provide a copy.

If anyone knows of a means of storing this type of info wherein the document can be readily accessed by the public without the hackers getting to it, post the info and I will check it out when I get some free time.

try filefront ....this file has been unavailable on the original uploaded site for awhile now i guess.if i can get a copy somewhere i would put it on my filefront account for all

I'd love to have a copy of this also. I've got a good bit of calcium chloride that I need to put to use.

Edited by dntfxr

I'd love to have a copy of this also. I've got a good bit of calcium chloride that I need to put to use.

As you can see, it is too large to post here. Email me off list :Larry@dragonswatch.com and I'll send you a copy.

Larry

As you can see, it is too large to post here. Email me off list :Larry@dragonswatch.com and I'll send you a copy.

Larry

Thanks in advance; email sent. :)

Thanks in advance; email sent. :)

email request sent.i will put this on my filefront and offer to everyone as soon as i get.thanks again

Phase diagrams can be quite usefull in figuring out a mix that might work without or with less of an ingredient or two when you can't find them btw.

Unfortunately phase diagrams aren't easy to find :P

I would add advice on making your own recipes, but because this stuff really can be very dangerous I would rather stick to suggesting you use existing recipes.

some of the high temp-salt composition/temps from MIL-S-10699A - i hope i am not breaching copyright, etc.

and please read the actual document before you trust my typing. Converted to degrees Fahrenheit.

CLASS 3 1150-1700F 45-55% KCl 45-55%Na2CO3 melts 1040-1090F

CLASS 4 1100-1650F 15-25% NaCl 30-32% KCl 50-60% BaCl2 melts 1040-1070F

CLASS 4A 1030-1400F 10-15% NaCl 25-30% KCl 40-45% BaCl2 15-20% CaCl2 melts 925-975F

CLASS 5 1300-1650F 40-60% NaCl 40-60% KCl melts 1200-1250F

CLASS 6 1650-2000F 5-15% KCl 85-95% BaCl2 melts 1400-1550F

CLASS 8 1650-2350F 3-7% NaCl 93-97% BaCl2 melts 1525-1575F

note* CaCl2 is an ice-melter salt, NaCl & KCl are common water softeners for wells/pools etc, and BaCl2 is sold thru fireworks suppliers. i think.

low temp salts are also in the doc - i am leaving them out for now due to their volatile nature and my questionable proof reading -

- matt

Edited by matt souza