Sign in to follow this  
Little Drummer Boy

Shooting

Does anybody like to shoot guns?

I have a 12 guage and I'm borrowing my grandpa's .30-06 for deer season this year. I don't know if I'm gonna like the hunting part, but I really like to shoot. My brother and dad and cousins and uncle and I spend some afternoons shooting clay pigeons.

Man, 12 guage slugs really knock you on your butt! They're worse than a .30-06!

I've also shotten :D a .30-30, .22, 20 guage, .410, and a BB gun.

Andy,

P.S. I hate to admit this, but the first time I shot the -06 was also the first time I shot a gun with a scope, so now I have a scar between my eyes. :blink:

Being a card-carrying liberal, not to mention an aging hippie freak, it pleases me immensely to see people's expressions when I tell them that I like to go out to the range every month for shooting practice. Folks seem to think that someone like me would hate guns. That's what happens when you listen to Rush Limbaugh!

Personally, my favorites are the black-powder muzzle-loaders that I've built. My more practical modern weapons are an AK-47, a Tokarev modified to shoot 9mm and an aged Ruger .22 pistol. Got my firearms training in the Boy Scouts longer ago than I care to remember. Wonder if they still have that merit badge? To be honest, I'm not all that great a shot, but I have a lot of fun putting holes in paper.

I used be a part time firearms dealer and with the license I was always able to get firearms for a little less money. About twenty five years ago I got into reloading and casting my own bullets. That is about the only way to be able to afford alot of target shooting.

My favorite is a very old .22 single shot with a nice thick barrel. It is by far the most accurate of my thirty plus guns. I also have my old gramps .22 just for the memories of all the times we went plinking.

I built a .375 H&H Mag which is pretty brutal to shoot. It has a Sako Mauser receiver, Douglas Supreme barrel glass bedded and a Bell & Carlson stock. I also like the Isreali firearms and have a 308 Galil and a Uzi (Rare A model).

Some of the others are 45-70 Mauser, Stainless Mini-14, SKS para, .54 black powder, 6.5 Swedish Mauser and 7mm Mauser. My handguns are a S&W stainless .44 mag, Cobray M-11 with registered supressor, .451 Detonics mag, a couple derringers one is a double barrel .410, .45 Commander, Taurus .38 spec., .44 black powder and a .50 cal pirate pistol.

I also built and sold several dozen AR-15's from surplus parts and PacWest Arms recievers. I used to work 24 hr shifts as an EMT and built them between calls. My supervisor was also a gun collector otherwise that probably would'nt have worked.

All in all I may have broke even with all the guns and ammo I sold vs. what I bought. If you have a habbit you better be able to support it.

Edited by B Finnigan

I sorta collect old military rifles. My favourate is a Jungle carbine i have. Short and the 303 round will do anything i ask it to.For longer shots i use my old 6.5x55 mauser.real accurate.I have a old russian sniper that loves to kick like a mule. Would love to find a 7.5x55 Swiss but around here a good one is real hard to find. The straight pull bolt looks elegant to me. All are fun shooting and to me its like shooting a bit of history. I always wonder where it has been, how many hands have handeled it. The older stuff is just my preference. Nothing wrong with the modern weapens. Just a personal preference. ........ Tim

As long as you don't have any felonies, are a US citizen without any mental illness history it is easy to get an FFL. In my neck of the woods it's easier then getting a concealed permit. The only reason I don't have one now is they raised the price for dealer and manufacturing by almost 100%.

I really like the 6.5 Swedish mauser also. I sporterized it by cutting down the barrel, bending the bolt handle, tapping scope mounts and putting a wood stock on it. The trajectory is very flat with a comfortable recoil.

I like the old Mauser style receivers that grip 50% of the rim. The only bolt action rifles that I own that do not have a mauser receiver is my two .22's.

Are there any reloaders out there?

This is my double barrel .410 "Derringer style". It is very nasty to shoot but it is loaded with two 000 buck rounds. Two shots equals six projectiles down range. It can also shoot the .45 S&W special pistol cartridges.

.jpg

-1.jpg

Edited by B Finnigan

In NY it takes an act of God in conjunction with signed permission slips from no less than three other religion's deities before you'll even be considered for an FFL. In most cases, if you didn't have one before 1994, you ain't gettin' one now.

I haven't had a single opportunity to use any of my firearms in over a year, but my favorite is most likely my Remington PSS in 300 Ultramag... lots of boom and really reaches out there! I keep talking about selling it, but every time someone approaches me with any level of seriousness I get cold feet...

Edited by Matt Gregory

I had 4 swiss straight pulls at my shop (gunshop and shooting range). Beautiful guns! We don't do a whole lot with C&R but we have a few things come through every once in a while. Definitely the Swiss Straights and Swedish Mausers tend to be the best lookng and finest shooters overall.

Personally, my taste is more modern for rifles and classics for handguns. Which brings to mind, if anyone is selling a 1903 Pocket Hammerless in .380 in fair condition, send me a message.

Don't be embarrassed about the scope eye, I think a lot of us have been there at one point. My forehead dent was caused by a 338-378 Weatherby. Some of the guys thought it would be funny to take the muzzle break off and let me shoot it! I bled like a stuck pig, and then the owner of the rifle yelled at me for leaving skin on his scope!! haha!

And for the Liberal Gun Owners: more power to ya! We need more things to agree on, but knives and guns are a good start! =)

Jason

I have never scope eyed myself yet but I have had the slide on my .45 ACP hit my thumb, twice! I have also had a couple of my reloads rupture in an HK P9S that I bought used. It was previousely damaged and the gun shop did not bother to tell me it ruptured rounds. Few things are more fun then picking brass fragments out of your face for over a week.

I had to sue the gun shop to get my money back. I sent the pistol back to HK and when they returned it the invoice had "Unsafe to fire" stamped across it. That worked really well for me in court.

Finnegan, that's the best argument I've ever heard for ALWAYS wearing safety goggles on the range (In the shop, around the forge, bathing cats, etc). Of course, that doesn't do much for your thumb on the Ol' Wristbreaker. With my trusty AK-47, I discovered that if I get too generous with the gun oil, my goggles get sprayed with lube. After just a few rounds, I have to stop and use alcohol wipes on the lenses. And my face. And hands. Not to mention my shirt. And whoever is next to me.

That is one of the many advantages to the AK's is they don't really need much oil. My Galil has an AK style receiver and it cycles with very little oil.

I used to shoot at an indoor pistol range that did not have a very safe backstop and cast bullets would sometimes fragment and bounce back at the shooter. That is when I realized the importance of eye protection. The range was eventually shut down because of poor ventilation.

Shooting firearms is a great pasttime. I have a kimber eclipse (.45), kel tec concealable pistol (.380) and a remington 700 built around a modern sniper rifle. It is great making corrections on windage and elevation to get your shot on target, lets me re-live some Marine Corps days!

Shooting firearms is a great pasttime. I have a kimber eclipse (.45), kel tec concealable pistol (.380) and a remington 700 built around a modern sniper rifle. It is great making corrections on windage and elevation to get your shot on target, lets me re-live some Marine Corps days!

For those times when you want to reach out and touch somebody. :o

I think that's why I enjoy the sport so much: the sheer challenge of figuring out how to get a projectile from point A to point B in a consistent manner. That's the hardest part of muzzle-loading, methinks.

Hmmm...just realized, I haven't taken the Queen Anne pistol I built out to the range yet. Time to buy some balls and more FFG!

I'm not a big fan of hand guns, my uncle died after getting drunk and falling asleep on top of his gun. But If I did have to choose between any hand guns though, I'd choose a single action old school style.

My grandpa's gun is older than him, like 80 or something, and it took me six shots to get it on center.

Charlie, glad to see another frontstuffer here, do you have any flintlocks? I hunt grouse and quail, my favorite, with a 20 ga. trade gun. I use the pump if I don't have the time. And I have a couple of .45 percussion rifles I do a little deer hunting with. For any of you that haven't tried them they are fun. They're not for everyone though. I reload for my '91 mauser they are good guns for being so old. I want to buy an AK or a saiga but not right now. Had a 7.5 swiss straight pull, wish I hadn't sold it. :( that was a good gun too. My wife said no more guns for a while, and I don't really own that many. :D

Well, I got my first deer yesterday morning. :D A small doe with the .30-06 at about 30 yards. I only had to take one shot but I hit her kinda far back and blasted her stomach out. :( She didn't run very far afterwards though, only about 20 yards.

I've got a CVA Kentucky flinter that I built from a kit years ago, as well as a lovely Queen Anne pistol that I just finished a couple months ago. As much as I loved the Rendezvous scene in the Midwest back in the '70s, I've never done any hunting. Maybe not being able to walk any real distance might have something to do with it! ;)

Well, Drummer, you can't expect to get a head shot with your first deer. Congratulations, and enjoy the venison!

Hey Drummerboy,

Congrats on the doe. Best eating there is and the front legs make great knife handles. Not as pretty as the crown of a nice 8 point but the table fare will be worth it all. As you can see from my picture I enjoy the shooting sports. This was a big prairie dog form Wyoming taken with a 22 Win mag, 4x scope at 100 yards. I am lucky enough to live across the street from a Wildlife Mgt Area that is primitive weapons only. So I shoot bow and black powder, also. Keep hunting as it gives a great feeling to skin an animal with a knife you made yourself.

Rev

I have a Colt Navy .44 black powder revolver that is fun to shoot but a real pain to load all six chambers. One time I forgot to grease pack the cylinders and it fired three at one time. Everyone at the range all stopped shooting and were looking at me wondering what the heck was that? I was always careful to remember to pack the chambers after that little experience.

When I bought a .451 mould I was able to skip the grease packing since each ball left a nice little lead ring after ramming it down. The accuracy greatly improved using the oversized balls.

Congrats on the first deer. My first with a muzzleloader was a little farm doe, best eating I ever had. I agree, it's great to use your own knives, especially when you're outdoors. Never thought about knife handles. I had a Rem. 1858 revolver and it was filthy after shooting, never had a chain fire, my friend did. I couldn't hit a soccer ball at 15 feet with it. I bought a single shot percussion .50 pistol, wanted a .45 flint but they didn't have them, I may convert it. Thought about making a pistol after watching pirates of the carribean too many times. I think it's a queen anne style, maybe not, but it's a nice pistol. Now I really want to go out shooting. So there's knifemakers and muzzleloaders here. Any wierdos like me who like the bagpipes too? Oh yeah, especially when running the forge!

I do like the pipes but combining that sound with forging could be lethal. :blink:

Uh...(He looks around warily)...yes. I consider the bagpipes to be an earthly echo of the choir celestial.

Having been to a few rendezvous at Fort de Chartres in southern Illinois, where the pipes are a feature, I must confess that I find their early-morning effect to be deeply amusing on those unfortunates who have overindulged in the water of life. Of course, as a non-drinker, I am easily amused.

I like the pipes as well. Especially the Black Watch RHR and RCHR.Great if you are a bit down, gets the blood flowing, maybe even boiling.I shoot black powder as well but shooting a right handed flint lock Off the left shoulder gets ya a real dirty face and lots of cat calls from the others. Wish i had a pic of that one.No deer this season, it was like summer in the north so they just stayed way back in the bush.It wasn't my gun by the way, just a buds .

I'd love to get an FFL but the documentation isnt my deal.

I havent filled out a form in over 20 years. I always went to the Gunshow and traded, sometimes up and sometimes down.

With newly elected Congress and House you may want to buy and stock up. I'm sure the Anti's can't wait to renew the Brady bill.

My fave's though are 22's and my Enfield. Ammo though is harder to find.

Not to make fun of you Tim, but I'd like to see that picture if you get one. I've heard the RHR on a local program, pretty good. I like pipes and the drums together. I love the wicked tinkers they're my favorite. I work with a lot of shooters who are wondering what's going to happen. Some are stocking up on the ammo. Here the muzzleloader tags are by drawing, no luck there this year. But I should be able to draw next year. It should be better next year. The deer population in this part of the cascades took a slight dip.