Polishing Stones

Not to get personal, But what do you use to clean your stones? Also what type of stones do you use, and what type of lubricant do you use? I have some falcon silcon carbid stones, and I just got some Falcon Ruby stones. Falcon is the brand. I'm not sure which one I like better yet, they both perform pretty close to each other. I got Falcons lubricant. Its said it was developed to thin their diamond compound and to use with their polishing stones. It is water thin, and soakes right into the stones, their by needing a lot to keep everything nice and wet. It does cut well when all is wet. So what do you use for a lub? Also, how do you clean your stones? I read that warm water and dish soap works well. I have some red EDM stone on the way, so I will give those a try also. I am just now trying stones for polishing. Thanks for any help.

Tony G

I have the stones that congresstools.com sells called "moldmaster" and all I use is a bucket of water to clean the mud off of the stone. I use a spraybottle of water to spray off the blade (I don't have to remove it from the clamp that way) and I keep the bucket under the blade to catch as many drips as I can. I am also using a "stone file" that some of our other makers have used. It's a block of wood with a space cuy out to hold a stone and there's a screw-on end. I work above the knife, just like I would if I were filing, but my stones don't get dull and useless after a couple of passes.

Previously I'd been sharpening the John Jurantich style- no water, just bare dry stones. It gives good results for sharpening, but the stones bite better when wet for the shaping processes. His main complaint, If I remember correctly, about lubricants is that they trap particles of steel and stone and act as a liquid abrasive on the side of the blade that isn't being sharpened, thereby chipping away at that edge. Not so much of a problem if you're constatly cleaning the stone and the blade to check your scratches. Working above the blade and letting everything fall into the bucket eliminates a lot of that argument.

I still sharpen dry; 100grit and 1200 grit then strop and I'm done. It works well, is fast on a blade that doesn't need a lot of shaping work and isn't messy. The stones don't load because you're really trying to shave layers off of them.

I typed all of this while on hold with an insurance company trying to get them to pay my physician's claims (it's my job).

Kristopher Skelton, M.A.

"There was never a good knife made from bad steel"

A quiet person will perish ~ Basotho Proverb

I have the stones that congresstools.com sells called "moldmaster" and all I use is a bucket of water to clean the mud off of the stone. I use a spraybottle of water to spray off the blade (I don't have to remove it from the clamp that way) and I keep the bucket under the blade to catch as many drips as I can. I am also using a "stone file" that some of our other makers have used. It's a block of wood with a space cuy out to hold a stone and there's a screw-on end. I work above the knife, just like I would if I were filing, but my stones don't get dull and useless after a couple of passes.

Kris,

Are you saing you only use water as a lub? Thanks for the info. I'll check out the moldmaster stones.

Tony

Yes. When I use lubricant it's just tap water. I do change the water as it starts to get murky because I don't want to pick up an 80 grit speck on my 400 grit stone :) So far, so good.

Kristopher Skelton, M.A.

I'll give that a try. Yellow isn't a good color for a knife :)

BTW, Jens- I fixed my burner problem this past weekend and I'm going to try to weld up that cable you sent :D That monster should give a couple good sized blades, at least.

Edited by Kristopher Skelton

Kristopher Skelton, M.A.

Everything I need to know I learned from the people trapped in my basement.

I'm out of my mind but feel free to leave a message.