I asked Jim Siska about this at Ashokan this year... he said he didn't care, but that he used a smooth one. My guess is that it was a 50 durometer or so... softer than my serrated 70 durometer, for sure. I think his point for the 'not caring' comment was merely to point out that although it might make a difference to some, if you get good enough at using what you have you'll figure out the 'in's and out's' regardless... and he is certainly good enough. Watching him grind was like watching a surgeon - adept and effortless at the same time. Hope this helps...

Edited by Matt Gregory

I asked Jim Siska about this at Ashokan this year... he said he didn't care, but that he used a smooth one. My guess is that it was a 50 durometer or so... softer than my serrated 70 durometer, for sure. I think his point for the 'not caring' comment was merely to point out that although it might make a difference to some, if you get good enough at using what you have you'll figure out the 'in's and out's' regardless... and he is certainly good enough. Watching him grind was like watching a surgeon - adept and effortless at the same time. Hope this helps...

It helps Matt! Now I know at least I have to choose a rubber with a hardness around 60 durometer.

Thank you!