comfort food

I would like to know what you enjoy eating. I've cooked as a job for about 2 1/2 years (on a tow boat)..in a galaxy far, far away. Food is a part of everyones life and I was wanting to hear from yall on what yall like. For me, I realy enjoy cooking/eating (or is it the other way around?) LOL. Thanks, Willie

We enjoy cooking with fresh ingredients and fresh meat poultry or fish. I go to the store everyday after work and decide what to eat for dinner. Tonight we are having cajun fried catfish, homemade frenchfries and fresh bread from the local bakery.

Bob

I've got to put some of my favorites...,chicken fried steak (you southerners know what I'm talking about), mashed potatoes, gravy, buttermilk biscuts....Boudin, jambalaya, fried catfish, mustard greens, cornbread, red beans and rice, chicken/sausage gumbo (without okra), mac and cheese, big ole nasty Italian beef "Po-Boy" with a hunk of Italian sausage nestled in the bottom (I like mine "wet"), fried rice, egg rolls, jerky.....oh, I just can't list them all!

That's just a few of my favorites. I really don't have a "comfort food" (I like it all!)

There's MANY types of food I've yet to try....I'm still on the lookout for another food that "spurs my intrest".

Happy Eating! Willie Nappier

i dont know what my fav comfort food is actually..

i guess the pickings are just too many.

:D

and i also never seem to have time to actually eat that often .. my hands always end up covered with a metal polishing slurry and turn really yucky black.

im generally not the one who cooks though.. cause when i do we get too many left overs.

i learnt to cook from my mum when i was widdle and have picked up her flaw of cooking huge amounts without realising it. ;)

mind you, she taught me indian cooking .. and over the time (i guess because i cant compete with her cooking), my cooking style ended up evolving into chinese/japanese cooking. ^_^

and one of my favourite meals is still a huge bowl of rice, with a small side dish .. nothing special needed, simple, quick, tasty and helps me keep my girly figure :P

I can cook just about anything but when it comes down to it a 2 pound rib-eye always does it for me.Of course I'll do a dry rub or maronade,or make a sauce.One of my favorite sauces is Chilean steak sauce.Roast 5 heads of garlic until carmelized.Then roast(over fire)5-10,depending on size,anehiem or other large mild chili,once skin will peel allow to cool and peel.Put the garlic and peeled peppers into a blender and add 1/3 cup soy sauce.Blend,add more soy sauce if its to thick.Take your steaks and apply this mixture at least an hour but not more than 4 hours bfore cooking.Grill steaks over high heat in a large grill pan on both sides until carmelized then drop your heat down and bake at 350 in your oven until mediun rare.Serv with sauce on the side.I know the sauce sounds strange but everyone that tastes it says its now one of their top favorite sauces.

Edited by McAhron

Well there are way to many favorites to list, so I will start with the one everyone asks if that is what I am cooking. I have been doing BBQ ( this is smoking meat low temp and lots of time, not grilling) for as long as I can remember and my choice is tri tip. I have come up with my own rub recipe and it knocks the socks off everyone that has had it. Most tell me I should go compete with it as it is the best they have had. :D

Know on to the others I am not a sutherin boy but my roots come from the south and there is nothing like southern cooking to hit the spot.

I am a smoker monkey.

I live for pulled pork.

We'll have to trade recipes and techniques, Mike! I have a recipe for (you'll never believe this) meatloaf done on the smoker that is the closest approximation to orgasmic foodstuffs I've ever had.

Good thing I just ate. I used to be a cook too, and I still love to cook. I would have to say sausages for comfort food. Or just a big piece of grilled meat. Pork shoulder blade steaks, big, rare to med-rare chuck. A two lb. rib-eye sounds good too. Big greasy sausages though, do it everytime mmmmm.

I am a Chef and I sometimes give cooking lessons. The number one thing I tell a home cook to really make a meal great is to learn sauce making. An average meal can turn into your favorite if you can make a nice sauce to go with it. The next time you grill chicken breast, add some thin sliced onion and 1/2 cup marsala wine to a saute pan. Cook on medeum till it is reduced by half. Whisk in a couple of cold pats of butter and pour over your grilled chicken and mashed potatoes. You will be comfortable, after you loosen your belt of course.

Larry

For many years I was a professional cook in restaurants and a hospital, till my legs and back went south on me. On those occasions that I cook at home, we wind up with vast quantities of grumbage left over.

Having been in food service for so long, I still tend to eat vast quantities of anything that will hold still long enough. I don't discriminate: if it's dead or moving slowly, it's food!

I love good food, aww heck who am I kidding, I love food period! And I'm not all that discriminating, I'll eat and enjoy food from almost any culture or ethnic background. My roots are here in the Deep South though and since comfort foods are often the ones you grew up with I'll have to say you can't beat fresh fried chicken as a comfort food, with hot sauce! Add fresh field peas, fresh creamed corn made with bacon grease and corn bread (don't put any dang sugar in the corn bread!!!) I grew up on the coast as well and we caught mullet, red snapper, grouper, mackerel, mahi mahi, amberjack, cobia, triggerfish, etc. every weekend so I'll put fresh fried fish, with homemade baked beans (with mustard seeds!), vinegar cole slaw and of course, hush puppies which are awesone with either corn added to them or even jalapeno bits! I can't emphasize how important 'fresh' is when talikng about fish, the way it's cleaned is also important. We skinned our fish with fillet kinives and deboned them as well. Don't forget the shrimp too! Or rich fish chowder made from a roue with amberjack chunks, potatos and lemon slices! (Add tobasco sauce to taste!)

Now one of the meals my wife and I like to cook together on weekends is buffalo chicken wings (hot of course!) with lots of sauce. Don't use a batter! Just deep fry the wings either nude or I prefer to pre-salt the wings then coat them in flour that has a bit of black pepper added to it, then deep fry until golden brown! Served with carrot sticks, cellery sticks, blue cheese dressing and fries. Yum!

Edited by Guy Thomas

If it moves slower than I do it's most likely edible.

I'm right there with the Rib eye guys although a couple of T-Bones or Porter Houses do the job nicely.

I can also throw down my favorite meal Corned Beef & Cabbage Which I have been known to cook 20 lbs of for my Jew Boy St. Paddy's Day Celebration. Pineapple Latkes which I'll be making in a couple of weeks for Chanukah. I also have a meal I haven't cooked in a while I call Bog it's kind of Jambalaya like with chicken, sausage, rice and mixed veggies mixed with equal portions of Worcestershire and teriyaki add in a few cayenne for flavor and there you go.

Corned beef and cabby? Pineapple latkes? That's in man, I'm coming to your place :lol:

Having grown up in the Northwest I learned two things early: 1) Dont swim in Puget Sound or any of the lakes unless you like industrial wastes and sewage. 2) Dont EAT anything that came from same.

It's sad but there it is, all manner of fish is out.

"Comfort foods"? I'm not picky when it comes to eating, maybe if I was I wouldn't be pushing 300# on my 6'5 frame :P I believe that anything other people have eaten for thousands of years MUST be ok for me to eat, too- it's at least ok enough for me to try it. All of the slow cooked BBQ stuff sounds awesome and I'm really looking forward to Thanksgiving here in the States.

For food that makes me feel like everything's gonna be ok I'd have to say Campbell's tomato soup, made with water (no milk) piping hot with a pat of butter and a sprinkling of pepper. A turkey or grilled cheese sandwich must accompany.

Some of my favorite food is stuff that my aunt has taught me how to make. She's Vietnamese and she met my uncle when he was over there during the Vietnam War. Anyway, baack to the acutal food. I love me some cubed chicken cooked up in some olive oil and garlic then stir in some catfish paste (it's just what it's called) maybe have some broccoli in the mix. All that put over some warm Japanese noodles. Add to that a couple spring rolls with hoisin sauce... mmmm.

Freshly harvested squirrel, pan fried with squirrel gravy, home made bisquits with fresh cow butter, and fresh dug potatoes fried crisp with squirrel gravy on top. Oh, yea, don't forget some fresh molasses for the bisquits and butter. Chased down with a cold glass of milk. Maybe a slab of grandma's fresh baked apple crisp for dessert, with two BIG scoops of home made ice cream. Nuff said.

I love to cook and eat mostly Italian stuff; spaghetti "alla Carbonara" (egg and bacon), with Amatriciana" sauce (with tomato sauce and bacon), with "bolognese" sauce (ground beef and tomato sauce), with squash, shrimps and cream sauce, with aubergine and tomato...

About meat: sausage with broccoli, cutlet with marsala or with lemon, deep fried "milanese" cutlet, grilled steak. Not really able too cook it, but I got crazy for green pepper fillet and aromatic vinegar fillet... bloody! Sweet lambrusco wine to accompany the meat.

About fish: grilled swordfish, fried anchovies, shrimps in any way and fish cooked under a thick coat of salt. I like to drink white Lancers wine with the fish.

Sweet, well, creme brulè and creme caramel.

Giuseppe, you reminded me of all the Italian food I love.

I was acutally born in Italy and lived there for about a year and a half. Our neighbors taught my parents how to make the best lasagna I've ever had. We used to spend all day making the noodles we would have a nice meaty red sauce and a white cream sauce and motsarella cheese all in layers to about 2 - 3 inches thick (depending on the depth of your dish). Mmmmmmm, so good. Oh, and I can't turn down tortillini alla pana. That with some good bread is a fine meal.

Now one of the meals my wife and I like to cook together on weekends is buffalo chicken wings (hot of course!) with lots of sauce. Don't use a batter! Just deep fry the wings either nude or I prefer to pre-salt the wings then coat them in flour that has a bit of black pepper added to it, then deep fry until golden brown! Served with carrot sticks, cellery sticks, blue cheese dressing and fries. Yum!

That's pretty true to form on how REAL Buffalo wings are made (the 'nude' method, at least)... are you a former Buffalonian? If not, I'm thoroughly impressed! Most people outside of Western New York have horrible concepts of what they perceive as genuine Buffalo wings.

What do you use for the hot sauce?

That's pretty true to form on how REAL Buffalo wings are made (the 'nude' method, at least)... are you a former Buffalonian? If not, I'm thoroughly impressed! Most people outside of Western New York have horrible concepts of what they perceive as genuine Buffalo wings.

What do you use for the hot sauce?

Nope, not a former 'Buffalonian' :D , for some reason Buffalo wings are just really popular here in Tallahassee with several places seemingly serving pretty much authentic fare. Perhaps it's because we are a big college town (40,000 or more students!). But as far as I'm concerned Buffalo wings are just a refinement of the Southern staple of fried chicken which we always ate with hot sauce too.

We like to use 'Crystals' brand hot sauce, one 12 oz bottle, 1 tbs of butter, 2 cloves of garlic (or 1/2 tsp of garlic powder), 1 tsp or so of soy sauce, 1 tbs of vinegar, bring to a boil and then simmer unitl it thickens a bit. These measures are 'guesstimates' since we usually just add the ingredients without measuring.

I just had some 'Franks' brand of hot sauce where I work and really liked it so we might try that soon too. I understand, (at least the bottle claimed!) that it was the 'original' Buffalo wing sauce.

How do you make your sauce Matt?

That is the way we do them here in the pacific northwest as well. I have had them battered and served with different sauce but this is my favorite. Why mess with what works, ya know what I mean. :D

Giuseppe, you reminded me of all the Italian food I love.

I was acutally born in Italy and lived there for about a year and a half. Our neighbors taught my parents how to make the best lasagna I've ever had. We used to spend all day making the noodles we would have a nice meaty red sauce and a white cream sauce and motsarella cheese all in layers to about 2 - 3 inches thick (depending on the depth of your dish). Mmmmmmm, so good. Oh, and I can't turn down tortillini alla pana. That with some good bread is a fine meal.

You was born in Vicenza, do I remember well? If you want to taste the "non plus ultra" lasagna and mozzarella you have to come here, in the south, near Naples ^_^ .

Oh yes, tortellini are one of my favourite food :P , I don't know why I forget to put them in the last post.

Too much stuff to remember... there is the risotto alla Milanese: rice with wine and saffron, gnocchi alla Sorrentina: some stuff made of potatos cooked with tomato and mozzarella, gnocchi alla romana: too difficult to explain but very tasty...

well, this is enaught for today.

Thanks for all the replies yall. It kind of gives me a chance to get to know yall a little bit. Yall have described soooo many great sounding things to eat. Once again, thanks. Willie

I love to cook and eat mostly Italian stuff; spaghetti "alla Carbonara" (egg and bacon), with Amatriciana" sauce (with tomato sauce and bacon), with "bolognese" sauce (ground beef and tomato sauce), with squash, shrimps and cream sauce, with aubergine and tomato...

About meat: sausage with broccoli, cutlet with marsala or with lemon, deep fried "milanese" cutlet, grilled steak. Not really able too cook it, but I got crazy for green pepper fillet and aromatic vinegar fillet... bloody! Sweet lambrusco wine to accompany the meat.

About fish: grilled swordfish, fried anchovies, shrimps in any way and fish cooked under a thick coat of salt. I like to drink white Lancers wine with the fish.

Sweet, well, creme brulè and creme caramel.

I love that egg and bacon stuff! We learned it from an Italian exchange student.