comfort food

I must be the only one from the Midwest. The old beef roast with potatoes and carrots cooked together in the broth with the roast. Throw in a fresh baked loaf of bread with butter and I' m ready. If you don't like that then go for the chicken and homemade egg noodles with mashed potatoes and corn. I can feel a nap coming on now. Mike

Edited by me miller

Mike,

That is exactly what we had for dinner a couple nights ago. MMMMMMMMMMMM. Where in the Midwest are you? I lived with my grandparents for a few years in Dodge City, Kansas when I was a lad.

Our national pastime here is what we like to call a "Braai" I suppose you could compare it to the American BBQ. It's very different though in that it's considered sacreledge(sic?) to "Braai" Weenies and burgers.

A firm favourite is called "Boerewors," translates as "Farmers Sausage" with steaks, or lamb chops or even chicken. This is served with salads and maize porridge smothered in a tomato and onion gravy.

There are variations, I for example do not like the maize porridge very much. Here is my favourite comfort food recipe. Bear in mind that I enjoy cooking when I am stressed, it relaxes me, so the actual COOKING part is what comforts me:

Take a whole chicken (This can be done with pieces but it spoils the presentation) and "Flattie" it. If your not south african, this means Spatchcock it. For the less informed: cut with a kitchen scissors along the centre of the breast and then break the ribs along the spine so that the chicken is spread open, and flat. Cut deep incisions into all the "meaty" parts of the chicken

In a pestle and mortar grind up some course salt, dried chillies and fresh garlic into a paste.

Rub the chicken with the paste, taking care to rub the past into the cuts you made earlier.

Baste with a mixture of butter and lemon juice (fresh squeezed) 2/3 butter to 1/3 juice.

Roast over coals untill crispy and baste all the time. Be sure to spend more time with the bone side down. Keep the chicken quite far from the coals untill it's done, then move it closer so that it can get crispy.

I serve this with fresh bread, oven roasted potatos and a big garden salad.

Thought you might like a change from catfish.

Regards

Wayne

Mike I was raised in Princeton, Missouri but have been in Oklahoma for the last 30 years . Still have the same meals. One thing I do enjoy since I have been here is the Tex-Mex, I could eat it almost every day.

Edited by me miller

Wayne, while on the subject of Africa. (Talk about a stretch)

There's a funny Egyptian tomb-painting of some hapless cook holding a spat-cocked goose over a fire with a forked stick. The heiroglyphic caption reads: "What a goose! I've been holding it up forever, and it's still not done." It's nice to know that cooks haven't changed in 3,000 years.

You was born in Vicenza, do I remember well? If you want to taste the "non plus ultra" lasagna and mozzarella you have to come here, in the south, near Naples ^_^ .

Oh yes, tortellini are one of my favourite food :P , I don't know why I forget to put them in the last post.

Too much stuff to remember... there is the risotto alla Milanese: rice with wine and saffron, gnocchi alla Sorrentina: some stuff made of potatos cooked with tomato and mozzarella, gnocchi alla romana: too difficult to explain but very tasty...

well, this is enaught for today.

Giuseppe, you do indeed remember well.

Ahhh, the best food is in the North my friend! :lol: If I have a chance I would like to come visit. My cousin is living in Germany and I may go visit him there soon. I'd love to be able to go back to Italia... I wonder if I might get an apprenticeship there in a few years? Oh well, back to the foodz.

I actually went to the store and got some tortillini the other day

I don't think I've hit on seafood yet. I like crab cakes, not all of 'em are the same, but I know good ones when I try 'em. I also love boiled whole lobster. The best part is breakin' up and pulling out the large chuncks of meat. Yum. ^_^ Some Blue Crabs fresh out of the Chesapeak Bay are wonderful also.

Being a Canuck I guess my favourate is a big roast of venison in the crock pot with some veggies. Just put it on in the morning and let er go. Some homemade wine with it, Great stuff.Plus i make my own jerky so i keep it with me for munching in the work shed. Maple jerky is hard to beat. Have some friends that keep me sending them some in the mail. Guess they don't get much jerky in the U K. I do enjoy a big steak as well.Carnavore i guess. (have to learn to spell some day)...... Tim

Ahhh, the best food is in the North my friend!

I agree with you Bob; I was talking about lasagna and mozzarella, that are south stuff and usually (mozzarella always) are far better if cooked in the south; I think the same about pizza and other few meals made with vegetables, but I too prefer norther meals.

In my opinion the best food of ever is between the north of italy (Bologna and Modena) and the north of the france (bretagne region), plus svitzerland for the meat.

I too love lobster even if I prefer shrimps. Here we grill them covered in lemon leaves!

If you come in Italy let me know.

...just came in my mind the Chateaubriand... it is useless to add something.

Murch, carbonara rules! fast and easy to prepare and very tasty when you eat it.

Giuseppe, you do indeed remember well.

Ahhh, the best food is in the North my friend! :lol: If I have a chance I would like to come visit. My cousin is living in Germany and I may go visit him there soon. I'd love to be able to go back to Italia... I wonder if I might get an apprenticeship there in a few years? Oh well, back to the foodz.

I actually went to the store and got some tortillini the other day

I don't think I've hit on seafood yet. I like crab cakes, not all of 'em are the same, but I know good ones when I try 'em. I also love boiled whole lobster. The best part is breakin' up and pulling out the large chuncks of meat. Yum. ^_^ Some Blue Crabs fresh out of the Chesapeak Bay are wonderful also.

I forgot about crabs! We have Blue Crab down here too, a wonderful delicacy is softshell crab (crabs that have shed but haven't hardened their new 'skin' yet), cleaned and sauteed whole in butter served on toast with the legs all sticking out! :D

Man I love Italian and Greek cuisine too. The more garlic the better, there's a restaurant in Pensacola called 'Founaris Brothers', their spaghetti with meatballs and their lasagna are out of this world and you'll sweat garlic for days!

One of my favourite theatrical directors was a French genleman yclept Guy Romans (Since passed on to that Great Green Room in the sky, helas). His lovely wife Fabienne hailed from Provence. So did her cooking. Her goal in life was to ensure that no actor would ever go hungry. She kept us starving players supplied with big jugs of vin pais rouge, crusty bread, cheese, fruit and nuts. Not to mention millefiori pastries that made her fellow angels weep. My fondest memory is of her cassoulet: beans, sausage, tripe and onions baked in earthenware crocks and served to grateful actors on a cold January night whilst rehearsing "The Imaginary Invalid".

The original Buffalo wing recipe is nothing more than butter and Frank's hot sauce. The original sauce is available from the bar that started the whole thing (the Anchor Bar).

Anchor Bar

If you'd like, I'd be more than happy to send you a bottle! I very rarely make my own wings anymore, but I spent 5 years of my youth working in various pizzerias.... all of which are required to offer wings if they expect to succeed. That's a true Buffalo anamoly, btw -- you can't swing a dead cat by its tail and not bounce it off of a good pizzeria in Buffalo! :D

Edited by Matt Gregory

Wayne, while on the subject of Africa. (Talk about a stretch)

There's a funny Egyptian tomb-painting of some hapless cook holding a spat-cocked goose over a fire with a forked stick. The heiroglyphic caption reads: "What a goose! I've been holding it up forever, and it's still not done." It's nice to know that cooks haven't changed in 3,000 years.

Hey Charles!

Don't knock it till you try it! Theres a lot to be said for watching a bird simmer quietly while you suck on a ridiculous number of Winhoek Lagers and plan your next blade. We have plenty of time for it here, haven't you heard of "African Time?"

Regards

Wayne

Out here, we refer to it as "Navajo Time". Drives newcomers out of their heads. Maybe that's why the Navajo do it...for entertainment!

Corned beef and cabby? Pineapple latkes? That's in man, I'm coming to your place :lol:

If you can make it to Columbus on December 9th I'll be throwing my Kahunakah Party (Hawaiian Chanukah). I'll be making about 10 lbs of latkes half of them will be pineapple.

My homemade oyster stew with homemade garlic sourdough bread. A close second would be split pea and hamhock soup with corn cakes. Anytime we have family or friends ove they expect my slow BBQ'd prime rib. I dry age it for three day then poke slivered garlic into it and then put the dry rub on it.

It goes into the barby for 6-7 hours on the rotisserie continuousley getting rotated through the basting juices. I keep the smoke pan full of hickory and maple chips soaked in beer. It always has at least a 1/2" smoke ring after slicing it.

I eat cause I need to and all of you have made me hungry reading all of this.......but my comfort food is popcorn....... pan cooked.... in olive oil and a little salt and pepper....... I buy it 40# bags at a time and go through 100lbs. a year.........I have it most every night.......

My daughter and I also liked pan popped popcorn over the coals in our woodstove. We use coconut oil to get the old movie theater taste. Compared to the taste of microwave popcorn it beats it hands down.