S 0.017

Si 0.28

Ni 0.09

Cr 0.33

Mo 0.051

B 0.0002

Fe 97.31

Ce 0.656

How should I HT/harden this ? Should I HT it?

Thanks

Tom

So.Ga.

Tom,

If I had a piece of forklift tine it would be more usefull to me as a post anvil. Whatever was leftover from doing so is what I would use to make tools from.

To use these tools you will be setting red hot (or hotter) metal on them. This tends to undo any heat treatment that the tool had. The steel that you have listed the analysis for would work well for hardy fullers, but it may not stand up to the abuse a cut off tool receives. Still, you have the steel. May as well use it. In any case, you will get enough use out of it to be worthwile, just over time you may need to make a new one.

If you are just getting started, try doing a search of ABANA's (Artist Blacksmiths Association of North America) website for a local affiliate group. My local group costs $15 per year in dues, is a great source of help and ideas, they even have a scholarship program that paid part of my tuition for an ABS class in Texarkana. Have you considered forging the tools that you want rather than milling them out? The local group I belong to has plenty of members who will offer their smithies, their time and experience, even materials, just to help a new smith get some initial tooling.

ABANA: http://www.abana.org/

Local Affiliate: http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dl...=118137&ck=

Have you seen this thread? http://www.bladesmithsforum.com/index.php?showtopic=6453

“All work is empty save when there is love, for work is love made visible.” Kahlil Gibran

"It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them." - Alfred Adler

B Norris

thanks for the advise! The tines (I have two) are vertically challanged, and only 2"x 4"

If I welded the two together and mount them in/on some thing a post anvil is an excellant idea.

I got the tines for free at a local forklift dealer. They were actually happy to give them to me!

I'll stop by from time to time to "let" them give me more. When the front of the forks get to a

predetermined thinness, they must be replaced

I am milling these tools as a class project. I am taking a Machine tool Class at night. There is an excellant

HT double oven, free SS foil. quenchat etc. I am enjoying playing with the BIG TOYS there.

The local Bladesmiths have been more than generous with they time and talent. I gfo to their "Hammer-ins"

Whenever I can. (I just missed a good one ending today)

I was able to watch Don Fogg himself forge and finish an intergal bolster hunter. It was very

Zen-like

Again Thanks

Tom

So.Ga.

are you in the Ocmulgee Guild,

Al is an AWESOME resource of information, so is Dan Tull if you can meet him

I'm a member of Ocmulgee but being in N Atl I get to a lot more of the Alex Bealer Mtgs

hope to see you sometime

President - Georgia Knifemakers Guild

ABS Journeyman Smith

"Wisdom and experience are built of bricks made from the mud of failure." - Mike Blue

At C 0.331% you are not going to get much hardness out of the steel, on the other hand, for hot cuts, you don't need much.

I thought at first you had some chunks of T1, but I looked up T1 and it's about .75C. I've got some hot cuts made of un-HT T1 and the only problem with them is that they need to re-sharpened a fair bit. I've also got a military surplus high carbon hot cut. If you don't hammer right on the edge, they hold up better.

What you really want is one one of the S series steels, S7 say. Old jackhammer bits, the ones without the carbide tips. If you can shape it to you needs, it's just the stuff for the job.

Geoff

"The worst day smithing is better than the best day working for someone else."

I said that.

If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly.

- - -G. K. Chesterton

So, just for the record: the fact that it does work still should not be taken as definitive proof that you are not crazy.

Grant Sarver

are you in the Ocmulgee Guild,

Al is an AWESOME resource of information, so is Dan Tull if you can meet him

I'm a member of Ocmulgee but being in N Atl I get to a lot more of the Alex Bealer Mtgs

hope to see you sometime

I do not know the Ocmulgee Guild folks

Most of the Ga Knife guild meeting are 4-5 hours away from me, here in Valdosta.

I have visited hammer-in's in North Fla 1.5 to 2 hours away

Wherever I meet Knife makers, all been very generous with their time and talents