Another Tanto

Started on another tanto today. Making this one out of some 01 instead of the saw blade like I did with the other one. I'll post a few pics once I get a little more done to it. Hopefully this go around I won't get in too much of a hurry and mess things up like I did before. LOL Willie

coated it with satanite yesterday

Quenched today (oil). NO CRACKS!! Glad about that! The tip did curve down a little bit though. I can fix that no problem. Wanted a bit of a slight upward curve but it''ll be alright. Looks like I'll be making a straight blade out of it.

Have it in the oven right now doing a little tempering....

May be a while before I post more progress pics of it. I'll keep yall posted on the progress.

Thanks, Willie

coated_01_tanto.jpg

Edited by Willie

I've tried posting a pic of the quenched blade on the edited frist post I made. I'll try it on the one. Hope it works. Thanks, Willie

Edited by Willie

From what I've read in other threads, for oil quenching steels you'll wanna add a little sori before quench as the oil tends to remove a bit of the sori. I suppose you'd have to experiment to see how much you need to add to get the end result you're after.

On water quenches you can leave it straight and the water quench will add the sori.

I wonder how well an oil quenching steel would do in a hybrid quench...into water for a 2-3 count, out, and then into oil for the remaining. Might add sori but curious how well the steel would survive the quench.

Can't remember if it's Don Hanson, or Walter Sorrells or one of the others who does it that way. I did it on a small tanto I was making, but haven't yet polished to see the results. I already had the curve forged into it as well.

I've been trying to get the lines more established today. Don, Thanks for the tip on supporting the blade while sanding/stoning. I'd started with the blade in the vice but as I'd started with the hand sanding I'd noticed the blade bending the further away from the vice as I went along the length. Whamo! "Support the blade!!". Much better! (I must say that the height of the blade to your arms DOES make a difference). More acurate and controlled passes with the sand paper. You can apply more or less pressure as needed more accurately. Nice!

I'm going to try and add a pic to this post of the "work in progress".. Hope it works.

Thanks Again, Willie

Edited by Willie

I'll be interested to see if you get any activity in the hamon. My experience with 01 is that you don't get much. If you want nice hamons, you'll probably get better results with straight carbon steel. Not trying to discourage you from using 01. It's a great steel. But all that manganese makes it pretty gung-ho to harden...which is the opposite of what you want if you're gonna do a hamon.

I wanted to try using the 01 thinking it would be a more forgiving steel quenching in oil instead of trying a water quench again. I'm not expecting a hamon (read in some other posts that 01 is a bear to get a hamon with). I just wanted to use the 01 for the heck of it this go around. It's turning out better than I thought it would. I'm just taking my time right now getting all the lines straight and well defined. Slow going with sandpaper backed with a small flat piece of "poly pearl".

Well; back to another long day of sanding. Willie

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still working on the blade (geting the lines right), but I went ahead and got the wood "somewhat ready". I cut two pieces of the black walnut out, figured out which side they'll go. I worked em down with a wood rasp for a while, then swithced to the tanto blade! The backside of the tanto blade works great for a fine scraper. It took a minute to get the angle right, but once I did.....I was scraping wood away that looked like fine whispy wood shavings.

I'm really having fun with this one!

I hope I can get the pics to post.

Thanks for all the support, Willie

I can't get the pics to post. They're sized right and all, but can't get em posted. I must not be holding my tounge right. LOL

Edited by Willie