• 4 weeks later...

well, it's been a while since i posted on this; my initial optimism about the carving proved unfounded - this stuff is a nightmare, crumbling and splitting at every opportunity, and so something i thought would take three days has taken two weeks. still, i'm pretty pleased with how its coming along - now i just have to make the belt loop and attach it, and make the leather throat, and then its just finishing and blueing, which probably won't be for a couple of weeks because i have a rush order for a folder next week and i'm desperately trying to remember how to make them. let me know what you think.

dirk_002.jpgdirk_004.jpgdirk_005.jpg

dirk_006.jpgdirk_007.jpgdirk_009.jpg

dirk_010.jpgdirk_012.jpgdirk_014.jpg

sorry for the crappy pics,

cheers,

jake

I like it Jake ,

it is good to push your boundaries with material or technique .I look forward to seeing one with a bit of Bushmascus in it!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

that's looking great Jake. you should put together a shadow box and invest in some lights, It will make a big difference in getting the pictures to do justise to the work. another trick is try to avoid direct sunlight, overcast weather is the best for photographing shiny metal, difuse light is what you want.

There was a good thread a while ago on the forums here by Coop, a professional knife product photographer, where he shows how to build a cheep and effective shadow box for photographing blades, I can't remember wich forum it was on, but it was somewhere on these boards a couple years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks everyone - this was a big job for me, but i'm pleased with it. i'm just waiting for the final payment to come through, then it's off to it's new home. hopefully i can get some better pics between now and then though.