Making an O1 integral - Lots of pictures

Hi,

This is the fixed blade part of a FOLDER/FB Salaverria/Calo collaboration a customer of us asked for.

Forging an integral knife with the press (O1)

col1w_big.jpg

col2w_big.jpg

col3w_big.jpg

col4w_big.jpg

col5w_big.jpg

col6w_big.jpg

col7w_big.jpg

col8w_big.jpg

col9w_big.jpg

col10w_big.jpg

col11w_big.jpg

col12w_big.jpg

col13w_big.jpg

For this order, our customer asked for a black/brown and grey micarta, but many times when you use this process to make it, you end up with darker or changed colors due to the different resing impregnation on the used clothings/materials.

For this reason is that in this case I replaced the grey clothings for another element, that turned out grey on the final piece.

This new element is no other than common rolled white kitchen paper, that due to the resin impregnation -as just explained- turned out grey.

Had I used grey clothings, it would ended up really darker, and there wouldn't be any real contrast between the different layers of colors.

Now with the pictures :)

Pieces of cloth already cutted and piles, ready for the resin. for this particular project I've used 60 pieces in total.

col14w_big.jpg

Placing the resin on each group of clothings/paper. (For quantity, just think of placing honey on a toast or something like that)

col15w_big.jpg

Placing two wooden boards protected with plastic bags to avoid the mix getting glued to them, I get them on a manual press.

col16w_big.jpg

I use "just" 5 tons for this.

col17w_big.jpg

Once I remove it from the press and boards.

col18w_big.jpg

Cutting a piece of the dried up mix to test patterns.

col19w_big.jpg

Final forging pictures :)

col20w_big.jpg

Edge and point of the knife are done by hammering, not press.

col21w_big.jpg

col22w_big.jpg

Forged to shape.

col23w_big.jpg

Roughly ground.

col24w_big.jpg

col25w_big.jpg

col26w_big.jpg

Working with a file to get the final fit.

col27w_big.jpg

Ready to get the handle slabs (filework by Ruben)

col28w_big.jpg

col29w_big.jpg

Almost done, I just have to flute the handle slabs, add the pins and lanyard hole nickel silver tubing to match the folder and polish it.

Check out the great work Ruben did with the filework!

col30w_big.jpg

col31w_big.jpg

col32w_big.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Ariel

Neat tutorial- the handle material process is cool.

I love the spine work.

Dave Armour

Since my carpal tunnels have been getting worse, I've been looking into using a press and power hammer. Tutorials like this are good persuaders. That's a very nice knife, and home-fabricated micarta is more esthetically pleasing thatn the store-boughten stuff!

Ariel, your work is an inspiration to many of us. It's always nice to see other ways of doing things. It's good to show the amount of forging to shape that can be accomplished with a press, too!

Since my carpal tunnels have been getting worse, I've been looking into using a press and power hammer. Tutorials like this are good persuaders. That's a very nice knife, and home-fabricated micarta is more esthetically pleasing thatn the store-boughten stuff!

Charlie, I don't have a press, but I do like them for that reason among others. A friend nearby has one, and I use his when I absolutely need one. I do have a power hammer, and although I'm not using it as much as I want to due to lack of forge time, it has already saved me much time and shoulder wear.

At Bowie's hammerin this fall there was a fellow who made a set of press dies that allowed him to forge a Scagel-type one piece axe from a single bar of steel in four heats. :ph34r:

Ariel,

What type of marine epoxy do you use? I remember in another thread you said what you used but I have not been able to find it. I really like your tutorials thanks for sharing and that is one beautiful knife.