What I did yesterday

Here are some pictures of the rig I made and then what I did with it yesterday. And yes I swear I did not stumble or fall after either of those cuts, or any cuts thereafter.

I didn't make that sword, it is a Paul Chen Practical Katana.

cutting_rig.JPG

cutting_rig2.JPG

cutting_rig3.JPG

cutting_rig4.JPG

cutting_rig5.JPG

cutting_rig6.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I know there is lot of stuff you have to do to swing it right.I have a nice book on but I can never understand most of it LOL.I think you swing with one hand and pull with the other one.

Here it is.

For cutting, there was a specific technique called 'ten uchi.' Ten uchi refers to an organized motion made by arms and wrist, during a descending strike. As the sword is swung downwards, the elbow joint drastically extends at the last instant, popping the sword into place. This motion causes the swordsman's grip to twist slightly and if done correctly, is said to feel like wringing a towel. This motion itself caused the katana's blade to impact its target with sharp force, and is used to break initial resistance. From there, fluidly continuing along the motion wrought by 'ten uchi,' the arms would follow through with the stroke, dragging the sword through its target. Because the katana slices rather than chops, it is this 'dragging' which allows it to do maximum damage, and is thusly incorporated into the cutting technique. At full speed, the swing will appear to be full stroke, the katana passing through the targeted object. The segments of the swing are hardly visible, if at all. Assuming that the target is, for example, a human torso -- ten uchi will break the initial resistance supplied by shoulder muscles and the clavical. The follow through would continue the slicing motion, through whatever else it would encounter, until the blade inherently exited the body, due a combination of the motion and its curved shape.

Nearly all styles of kenjutsu share the same five basic guard stances. They are as follows; chudan no kamae (middle guard), jodan no kamae (high guard), gedan no kamae (low guard) hasso (side guard), and waki no gamae (rear guard).

The katana's razor-edge was so hard that upon hitting an equally hard or harder object, such as another sword's edge, chipping became a definite risk. As such, blocking an oncoming blow blade-to-blade was generally avoided. In fact, evasive body maneuvers were preferred over blade contact by most, but, if such was not done, the side or the back of the blade was used for defense in many styles, rather than the precious edge. A popular method for defeating descending slashes was to simply beat the sword aside. In some instances, an umbrella block — positioning the blade overhead, diagonally (point towards the ground, pommel towards the sky) - would create an effective shield against a descending strike. If the angle of the block was drastic enough, the curve of the katana's spine would cause the attacker's blade to slide along its counter and off to the side.

BTW I think your sword is cool what is it?

Edited by Andrew

It is a Paul Chen(Hanwei) Practical Katana, I got it for Christmas years ago. The handle wrap is comin gloose kinda, but that is the only problem I guess. I have put it through alot, I cut all kinds of things with it, branches, milk jugs, tons of stuff. Non of the fittings, other than the handle wrap, are loose AT ALL, not even a little jiggle, it is a very solid blade.

Yeah that sounds like a loose handle wrap.I would too scared to try to wrap it my self.

• 1 month later...

:D I had the same nervous twitches, so i made a practice jig/rig/thingummy. It's just a piece of wood for a handle with a faux blade (more wood) just to give me an idea of where the mune & ha would be. That and some shoe laces, and you now have hours of wrapping pleasure.

I believe wrapping jigs are used by experts and are constructed with their expert needs in mind. However, coxcombs such as myself need only coxcomb jigs.

Geoff

Edited by Geoff