Brace of Hares

Eat Bambi is my dream from when I was 5 ... that three pigs too of the other fairy...

Anyway I usually let the rabbit covered in white wine overnight, then I fry it with onions and add some new wine and tomatoes, and let it cook for a some more time. It is far more difficult and complex than it seems, but it make a very tasty meal.

It is called "coniglio alla cacciatora (hunter's rabbit).

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tim Lonee:( You just gave away my secret chicken recipe. Oh well!

Jake: Might I suggest the addittion of some of that beer to the stew?

I've only had rabbit once, a relative used to raise them. It was delicious! If I recall right, it went straight from the slaughter into the pan.

Sorry Mr Norris sir,But it is a great way of cooking bunny and (tree rat), never seen them called that, got a good laugh out of that. Ever try muskrat . Sounds nasty but sure tastes good.

Edited by Tim Lonnee

I had some mouse-beer once, but wasn't very good...

Nice looking rabbits. I like to simmer them in a big pot of water with spices then pick'em clean and make meat pie. And use the water as gravy stock, got to have lots of gravy. The ones around here are not good eaters, I'll have to raise them again. Tim, I used to trap with a guy who ate muskrat and beaver I never did he said it was great. My last batch of home made ale is called dead mouse ale though, little bugger fell in the glass jug while in the storage unit. Got him out a while after I moved up here. Tastes good,mmmmm.

I have been known to grease down on some whistle pig. When you've done enough buckskinnin' and muzzle-loadin', you tend to call on edible on anything that's stopped moving.

Twitching doesn't count, and tends to improve the flavor.

And I love your knife!! You haven't posted any new work on here forever!!! I am starving to see some new fresh Powning blades!!!!! :D

I should have some fun new stuff out in the next little while I just heat treated a batch of blades, so now I'm into the final shaping and sharpenning, then test cutting, polishing, and furnishing. I do have a Vimose seax that is pretty much almost done polishing, and has a scabbard almost done, just have to etch that one and put some moose antler handle scale onto it. and do some cast bits B)

I should have some fun new stuff out in the next little while I just heat treated a batch of blades, so now I'm into the final shaping and sharpenning, then test cutting, polishing, and furnishing. I do have a Vimose seax that is pretty much almost done polishing, and has a scabbard almost done, just have to etch that one and put some moose antler handle scale onto it. and do some cast bits B)

Awesome! Looking forward to seeing those as you finish them. For a change I may actually have a finished knife of my own here before too long. (Wonder of wonders, miracle of miracles!) :D

Nassssssty hobbitses RUIN good meat!!!!

Um, I shot a "wascally wabbit" once, I didn't get to eat it though. I got it with a 12 guage while pheasant hunting and ya see, if you look at a rabbit and divide it into three parts, there was the front part and the back part, but the middle part was vaporized :blink: I probably should have let it get a little farther away than 10 feet before blasting it :D

Now that I think about it, I need to get a smaller gun, I've vaporized squirrels with it too. :wacko:

yep a sixteen gage or a 410 are all ya need for hare. i have a sixteen with a extra long fowling barel so it has a good range, its a good gun for just about anything, you just keep the different shells in your pocket.

I have aims on getting a long bow again eventually, I love bow hunting and shooting, a little bit trickier in the undergrowth though.

'Twas about time someone exacted revenge on the Killer Rabbit for what it did to Arthur and Co. in the Holy Grail haha.

Nice catch Jake, it's good to keep certain traditions alive, especially those which celebrate the ability to fetch your own food, and no I don't mean fetching it from the fridge or the supermarket.

As long as you are armed with a holy handgrenade and have the correct operations manual you should be adequately protected from those hares.

Remember the count is three, two is not enough and five would be right out.

Video instructions for the holy hand grenade

Edited by B Finnigan

I prefer spam or spam and eggs. That seems to be all I am eating lately, spam,spam,spam,spam,spam!!!!!

Note: This post contains no dead parrot skits or parodies. Why that would be silly wouldn't it?

Edited by B Finnigan