treadle hammer

Sam Salvati

I have gotten the two of the pretty major parts for my treadle hammer I want to build, the hammer and the anvil. It will now have a 1 foot long hammer, and a 3 foot tall anvil. It is of my own design, I forget the actual size(it is an odd size, pretty neatly odd sized), but I think it is 3 inches and some. I hope to start on it soon. Assembling the other parts should be easy, I can buy them. I traded a friend of mine 4 railroad spike steak knives for the peices. :D:D:D

Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots

Well, I picked up the big peice of round, AND BOY WAS IT HEAVY! 4 feet of 3+ inch round, and I had the machine shop cut off perfectly level on they're VERY cool bandsaw 1 foot, so I now have a hammer and anvil for my foot powered helve hammer. The Maachine shop guy was very helpful, I only paid $10 for the cut, and he gave me some drops as well. I also found a neat interesting deal on a VERY old looking anvil at an antique shop, in semi rough shape, with a foot broke off, but looks good overall, I might be able to trade some ironwork for it(I am a blacksmith full time). Some other "farmer" guy was trying to get it before for $1 a pound.

Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots

I have gotten the two of the pretty major parts for my treadle hammer I want to build, the hammer and the anvil. It will now have a 1 foot long hammer, and a 3 foot tall anvil. It is of my own design, I forget the actual size(it is an odd size, pretty neatly odd sized), but I think it is 3 inches and some. I hope to start on it soon. Assembling the other parts should be easy, I can buy them. I traded a friend of mine 4 railroad spike steak knives for the peices. :D:D:D

Treadle hammer is not powered, well maybe human powered? You winging it or do you have plans

for your creation? Pic's coming??

I have a Treadle Hammer

bought a kit form ,ah cant remember he was on the internet.

Any how my farther in law help me- hes a very good welder.

It works great it will smash tin cans really well and thats about all

thats been used for.

Ive pounded on hot steel with it a few times makes things nice and flat.

I dont know how to use the dam thing just takin up space

I thought I could use it to make knives - I guess im just to dumb to use it

Can a Treadle Hammer be used for knife making?

How can it be used for knife making?

Ive been hangin hammers and junk on it.

Ron

I have a Treadle Hammer

bought a kit form ,ah cant remember he was on the internet.

Any how my farther in law help me- hes a very good welder.

It works great it will smash tin cans really well and thats about all

thats been used for.

Ive pounded on hot steel with it a few times makes things nice and flat.

I dont know how to use the dam thing just takin up space

I thought I could use it to make knives - I guess im just to dumb to use it

Can a Treadle Hammer be used for knife making?

How can it be used for knife making?

Ive been hangin hammers and junk on it.

Ron

Well, it would be a help in damascus making for drawing out your billets. It can also help you save $$ on knife steel. I've been getting O1 & W1 cutoffs from a local machine shop for $1 per piece...Thing is that they're mostly 1" round. That's a lot to hand hammer, but a treadle hammer could make it a LOT faster.

-d

I am half winging it, half planning it out. I made a mistake with terms, it will be a foot powered Helve style hammer, for drawing things out and some serious forging. I'll see if I can scan some images of the design and stuff. Thanks for the interest, i'll keep yah posted on how it is coming. I also have designs for a power hammer, 3/4s of which can be purchased for pretty cheap, as far as power hammers go. All you really end up having to build is the frame, which can be made like the japanese hammers out of heavy angle iron. And the Hammer assembly itself, which can be done in ANY number of ways. It can either be gas powered and portable, or electric powered and portable, or gas or electric permanent. It will not be an anvil maker hehe, but it will have a pretty good solid weight to it.

Well, it would be a help in damascus making for drawing out your billets. It can also help you save $$ on knife steel. I've been getting O1 & W1 cutoffs from a local machine shop for $1 per piece...Thing is that they're mostly 1" round. That's a lot to hand hammer, but a treadle hammer could make it a LOT faster.

-d

OK can you show me some tooling I could make for it please.

I have a 275lb. stompper :o I might have enough power for it

If not maybe I could belt it up to Dodge truck :blink:

You have a foot powered treadle hammer that has a 275 pound hammer!??!??!??!?!?!??!?! Can you post pictures of your hammer please!?

• 2 weeks later...

Ron, Sam, etc.,

I got a treadle hammer for Christmas. It has a 165 lb hammer. Not sure of the overall weight but seriously heavy (although portable).

I am a hobby blacksmith that got hurt on my "day job" just over a year ago. After two arm surgeries, I'm nowhere near back to swinging a hammer.

One of the blacksmiths on another site (http://www.iforgeiron.com) decided to make a treadle hammer for me. It is the most amazing thing I've every played with! It smashes hot steel like butter. However it has enough control that I can sit and riposite steel or copper. It has enough foot control that his 7yr old grand daughter can crush cans on it.

Here's a picture of it. If you want to know more about it, just ask.

Pam

treadlehammerme.jpg

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming..... WOW, what a ride!!!!

A wealth of information for anyone who works with metal: http://www.iforgeiron.com

Metal artist & blacksmith.

Pictures of what I do: http://www.photoworks.com/share/shareLandi...28B57&cb=PW

Hey Pam, I understand you tried it out at Glenn's? HOW WAS IT??!??!??! The public is dying to know! Well I am hehe.

Sam,

Hi, I didn't know you were also here. Yeah I picked it up at Glenn's (site owner of http:www.iforgeiron.com).

As to how it works, I know that Glenn took a couple of short videos of it smashing 5/8" (I think) square stock. Takes less than 30 seconds to fuller it to just short of completely through. Of course the harder and faster you can push the treadle is the key, but the fact that the foot control is balanced, and the hammer is so heavy makes all the difference. On a less than scientific note...it's the coolest thing I've ever used!

Here is another picture from a back angle, before it was finished and painted. The side braces aren't finished in this picture, and now look completely different. As I get more pictures (I didn't have a camera with me) I'll pass them on.

Now I have a question: I'm working on some ideas for different things besides the flat and combination dies that Stan included for me. How hard is a ball hitch?

I know that it takes a massive amount of abuse throughout most of it's use, and I've never really heard of one cracking off. It seems to me that if it were cleaned up and polished it would make an excellent die as far as shape and size. It could also be ground to some other interesting shapes. What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Pam

thammerback.jpg

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming..... WOW, what a ride!!!!

A wealth of information for anyone who works with metal: http://www.iforgeiron.com

COOL!!!!!!!!!!! I think the ball hitch idea is GREAT, but the flat top part has to be grounded first. If you can find the round topped bolts by the railaroad tracks, i would try one of those, as the head is really 1/2 round, and only the letters(sometimes there isn't any at all) need to be ground off and the whole thing ground smooth. Plus they can be found for free and you can graba few and experiment with forging the heads into different shapes while only making one attachment for the heammer itself(universal sized shaft).

This is my Treadle Hammer

http://www.saber.net/~jere/tham.html

I think its a 60 pound head & the 275 pound stompper is me :wacko:

The reason I wanted it was for damascus making

any ideas?

Ron

NEAT! What a very solid looking hammer, I think I will try the one of those that the local ABANA chapter(Northeast Blacksmith's Association) has at the forge by me next time I am there.

• 2 weeks later...

Sam,

Here is a picture of what my treadle hammer will do with a 1/2 bar of square stock (mild steel).

7 hits total... 4 in the almost flat area, 3 in the middle area, and 2 closest to the tip.

Only one heat, and less than 30 seconds time-wise. :blink:

Pam

flattened.jpg

Edited by lady_smith

Sam,

Here is a picture of what my treadle hammer will do with a 1/2 bar of square stock (mild steel).

7 hits total... 4 in the almost flat area, 3 in the middle area, and 2 closest to the tip.

Only one heat, and less than 30 seconds time-wise. :blink:

Pam

:blink::blink::blink::D WOW, just......WOW. That is awesome! I wish I had the cash to go out and get TI's help building one or buy one for myself!

Ok, so it turns out I will modify the design a bit more, and will make it more like a regular treadle hammer instead of the helve style, for reasons of:

It will be easier to mount the big hammer head that way

And I will be able to make it motorised if I can find a motor as well as maybe keep it first as a foot powered model

I was looking at the Appalachian Rusty hammer, anyone ever use one? the hammer weight should be pretty good, with the big 1 foot section of 2 3/4 round solid for the hammer weight plus the hammer shaft weight and stuff, and with changeable and adjustable dies, able to be mounted and positioned at ANY angle, with my design for die mounts. It will be MEGA RUSTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sam,

Everything I've heard about the Rusty series of hammers is that they are good workers. I've never actually used one, but I'm sure someone will chime in that has.

Pam

Sam,

Everything I've heard about the Rusty series of hammers is that they are good workers. I've never actually used one, but I'm sure someone will chime in that has.

Pam

Cool, they look very simple, easy to build, nice little hard workers:).

• 3 weeks later...

Looking for a motor, and not sure what to do about the drive wheels that will have the V belt on them.

Ahh sweet! I got a 1 horsepower motor today, as well as a smaller one, not sure of the HP it doesn't say on the label. Now the hunt for pullies to fit it will start:D.

... Now the hunt for pullies to fit it will start:D.

Farm supply stores (like Tractor Supply Company) have amazing amounts of cool stuff including pulleys. :)

Pam

Farm supply stores (like Tractor Supply Company) have amazing amounts of cool stuff including pulleys. :)

Pam

Funny you say that Pam, i was just at one today and they have TONS of cool stuff, but no luck on finding the size pullies i need, i will ask the local mower supply shop though, and probably special order one or both, if i cannot find them elsewhere:).