Hey I'm going to be taking a fencing class.I was wondering how many other people take fencing?I'm going to be using the foil.

fencing.gif

Edited by Andrew

The class I'm doing is a foil only.But I might join a club which would give me more choices with swords.The sabre is cool but I like the epee because you can hit the whole body.

I did fencing for a couple years in college. mostly epee and sabre. Never liked the foil, too many rules and tto weenie a blade. Didn't care for sabre rules either, and saw no point in the concept of right-of-way in a swordfight. :rolleyes: A few others felt that way as well, so we'd fence sabre technique with epee rules using sabres. Fun, but needed a heavier weapon. Epees don't do well as slashing weapons, either. B)

There are some local folks (Seattle area) who teach Elizabethan style rapier, sword and buckler, sword and dagger and the like. I have always wanted to try sword and buckler. So post-Atlanta, my wife and I intend to take a class.

I used to fence foil and sabre, many years ago. I have to concur with Alan. Foil is too stylized, and the blades are too light. OTOH, getting beaten with bats, ala the SCA, is not all that appealing.

Geoff

Collegiate fencing or renasciance style? I belong to a renasciance style club which is to say we don't follow the same rules as the collegiate style, our style is more what you'd see when swords were common (the whole body is a target with all our blades) and our rules tend to be focused on staying safe. I like foil and also have learned epee and saber and am working on schlager (rapier).

ron

I took 15th Century German Swordfighting for about a year. In the intro class we did mostly footwork and did some foil, epee and saber. Once I got into the whole weekly class, we did more longsword than anything else. However, we did do some sword and shield, spear, pole axe, and dagger work. It was a whole lot of fun. I want to get into doing some saber, but I just need to get a saber and have someone to go up against.

I took up the sport to regain the strength in my legs in college. (Long story, involving Philmont, osteomyelits, wheelchairs and crutches.) Being something of an anarchist, I thought the rules were rather silly. But THEN I took the mandatory stage-combat course! Holy John Barrymore, but I had fun!

I took 15th Century German Swordfighting for about a year. In the intro class we did mostly footwork and did some foil, epee and saber. Once I got into the whole weekly class, we did more longsword than anything else. However, we did do some sword and shield, spear, pole axe, and dagger work. It was a whole lot of fun. I want to get into doing some saber, but I just need to get a saber and have someone to go up against.

Who in Hades offers a course in 15th Century German Swordfighting??? Be nice if we had something like that around here!

Who in Hades offers a course in 15th Century German Swordfighting??? Be nice if we had something like that around here!

It was at the Virginia Academy of Fencing. They also offered classes in rapier, also doing work with cloak and dagger, rapier and dagger, rapier and cloak. I didn't do any of the rapier stuff since you had to buy the sword :lol: They also offered begining to advanced classes in all of the "sport" fencing types.

Fenced foil, epee, and saber competitively from freshman year in college (1970) through about 1982 - great exercize and mental stimulation. I've gone back a couple of times since then but not as heavy duty as I did back then. Picked up SCA heavy combat in 1974, and ran with it through about the same time.

Both are expenzive hobbies, not to say that blacksmithing/bladesmithing isn't.

• 4 months later...

well, took me long enough to get around to reading this. LOL. I'm actually one of the instructors for the local SCA group. I teach them the basics of 16th century fencing with rapiers. which is funny, because I no longer fence much, I fight in 15th century german Longsword.... while fencing. (admittedly a bit restrictive since they won't let me do cuts) but the new fencing style that got approved for the whole SCA is cut/thrust, which just pounds fencing to pieces for fun.

Guy, Actually, one of my clients is a world famous Lichtenauer instructor and lives pretty darned close to you. I'll dig up his group's info and PM it to you after Harleys. With that and the knife show this weekend, I'm swamped.

Dan