Hello All,

There are many scams going around the industry and I think it important to be aware of one of them. I do not know of anyone taken by these folk, but they are international and are fishing for opportunity.

The long and the short is the all shipping of product should be held till payment clears the bank...general business I know, but there it is anyway.

I have no problem with the bad English as I have done business with many folk who do not read/write English well or at all. I do have a problem with scams which target craftsmen. We have a small community here and I think it best to get this information out. No doubt the names of these scams will change soon as the word spreads so be aware of such.

Here is what I recieved and the general tone is the same in this scam:

Hello ,

Am sammy Williams from london uk ..i deal in antiques and i do

collections of various types of knifes from all over the world

as my antique collections ..present came across your contact and

am intrested in making purchase with you so please do let me

know the custom knifes you have available for sale at this

period and also their various prices and also as for shippment

let me know if you are able to ship to me in uk or if i can make

pickup arrangments with my shipper for the pickup of the

purchase localy at your store after the order is been completed.

Hope to hear from you soon.

sammy & Mary Williams

The latest email is this which fits the pattern of these folk:

Hello Richard,

How are you doing today, hope all is well with you and your

family? This is Mary Williams..sammy's wife,sorry we couldn't get back to

you ealier to update you regarding our purchase & payment arrangments for

the knife.

Well this is due to the fact my husband sammy is presently ill and his

undergoing a medical treatment towards a stroke illness he developed during

the weekend but he did told me to inform you that he had already instruct

our associate to raise the payment to you which he would be doing first thing monday so you should be recieving payment by next week Wednesday/Thursday at your end so pls do keep me posted as soon as payment has been

recieved by you at your end so to conclude with the purchase & Shippment.

Have a wonderfull day and hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,

Mary Williams...

Note that so far all dealings I know of with these folk have been fraud and the checks have been fake.

For further research I suggest these links:

http://www.messerforum.net/showthread.php?p=326288

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=438878

Ric

This kind of thing sucks.

Thanks, Richard, for getting it out in the open.

Not only does it affect the craftsmen, but it affects the collector. I live in Hong Kong and sometimes have trouble buying blades because people will not send to this area, believing that some form of scam is happening. I guess that also affects the craftsman as it potentially limits their market.

As for me trying to sell blades on...it's nigh on impossible. People read the words Hong Kong on an auction or ad. and start running.

This kind of thing sucks.

Thanks, Richard, for getting it out in the open.

Not only does it affect the craftsmen, but it affects the collector. I live in Hong Kong and sometimes have trouble buying blades because people will not send to this area, believing that some form of scam is happening. I guess that also affects the craftsman as it potentially limits their market.

As for me trying to sell blades on...it's nigh on impossible. People read the words Hong Kong on an auction or ad. and start running.

Lee,

If I had been contacted by someone in Hong Kong five years ago I would have declined, but tonight I am working on a sheath for a blade that will be in HK next week so...times change and so do attitudes.

As for buying from HK I would treat it like anything else...references from past clients and a phone call prior to buying. There are places in the world that I am still put off from ordering, Indonesia comes to mind, but I love keris blades and still do business there when something comes up.

I placed an order with a guy I had met in India a few years ago..sent him $1,000 western union...and a year later the product arrived..I had thought it was a scam, but it worked out in the end.

I think with the knife/sword community being so small and the dollar amoounts being small as well it is a nessecity that we police our own.

Ric

Thanks when I start selling knife in the future I'll be more careful of scams like this.

Edited by Andrew

Good attitude, Richard.

I've found in my travels that all countries have their share of scammers...ok, some more than others, but still...

Self policing, research and a little common sense go a long way.

Hope your knife finds its way safely to these shores.

I have only been burned a couple of times, but it still is a burn. Here is what has worked for me:

-Get land line phone numbers. Cells are useless to track

-Get address, no PO box.

Now check them on white pages web site to see if they jive. I had a gut who said he was in Hong Kong, ordered 6 matching knives. When he called back to have them shipped my wife gave him my cell number, which displayed his number. It was a Seatle home, not HK.

The sad part was that I called the cops, not interested, too busy with bigger stuff.

Most folks are great to work with, but all ponds have some scum. Protect yourself and leave the anger behind.

Jim

"Get address, no PO box."

Isn't that a bit discriminatory considering the USPS doesn't deliver mail to street addresses in many cities of the USA?

Get a street address of the person doing the business. Once confirmed and paid, i'll send where they want it. This step is confirmation only.

If this is bogus, then they usually are gone at this step. Ran into a scam a couple of months ago when we were selling a car listed in AutoTrader. Someone said they were in Las Vegas, offered to pay twice what we were asking if we would forward "shipping" charges. Once I asked for adddress and land line to confirm, they were gone.

I NEVER use the USPS. I have lost two knifes in USPS. Both tubes arrived empty with delivery confirmation. I primarily use Fed-Ex or UPS, never a problem.

Jim

Most folks are great to work with, but all ponds have some scum. Protect yourself and leave the anger behind.

Jim

I like these statements most of all....it does no good to get paranoid or angry. It does no good to assume that folks from certain parts of the world are more notorious as scammers than others. It is just good business to trust but verify and protect ourselves as best we can.

Thanks for passing passing along your information, Rick! B)

Brian

Scam update.

I just recieved this from them:

On Dec 20, 2006, at 10:15 AM, sammy demond wrote:

Hi Richard,

How are you doing today and hope all is well with you? just emailed you to let you know that our associate did confirmed that payment should be getting to you this week and also he did raised it to you in the amount indebt to us to you for my purchase .

Also like you to know that if theres any extra balance left on our payment to you do let me know so i can give you my info to have it forwarded to along with our purchase and as for the shippment let me know if you would handling it or if you want our shipper to.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,

mary..

I guess I'm bored this week because I plan on getting the fake money order and framing it in the shop.

I figure if they are wasting time with me thay may leave someone else alone for a bit.

Ric

There was a discussion on the Knife-list about informing the Secret Service about such scams. Don Cowels has said that he has dealt with them a couple of times involving scams like this. Not sure what they can do but it may be worth checking out. Especially if it gets these potential thieves to bugger off.

I have had many of those often from Africa, the first time I thought wow that is a nice order, they wanted so many of this and that.

But when they asked me to include a few lap tops and cell phones I finally clicked.

So far if suspicious I always straight away let them know that I accept Bankcheques only, after that you don't hear from them enymore.

These were the last ones I heard from.

Maria. Williams

rev james lynn

wallie fernandez

Ric, did you ever get that the fake money order?

Richard

Edited by Richard van Dijk

Am I the only one who thinks it's incredible that the internet has grown to such an extent that we now have scams that are spesifically targeted on knifemakers? Anoying and incredible at the same time.

Ric, go check out www.419eater.com. You're getting the classic Advance Fee Fraud, just in a new and creative way. They want to pay you with bogus money, and have you forward the "remainder" (in good funds) back to them. Fake banks have been known to operate, and a check can clear, only to get yanked out from under you later, leaving you in the hole. Be careful, everyone.

ps... while poor english is acceptable in certain cases, no Londoner would refer to it as "London UK". It's England.

Am I the only one who thinks it's incredible that the internet has grown to such an extent that we now have scams that are spesifically targeted on knifemakers? Anoying and incredible at the same time.

I think we are targeted because of our high level of Internet presence (we have websites and are much more available than regular folks) and they know we are trying to make money and that we are usually single proprieters/ordinary people trying to make a living. We look vulnerable to cash scheme predators and they know that many of us may not be up to speed on how other places can shield them while they fleece us.

All the more reason to be thankfull that guys like Rick post this stuff so we all stay on the same page. Us little guys have a little more safety if we stick together and stay informed. If something doesn't smell right it is often because it isn't quite right. It's one of the things I like about being able to stay in touch with other cutlers and folks with common interests here at Don's forum and other places. I have a intimate group of people to bounce this stuff around with and get advice.

Brian

Looky what I got back on December 2nd....

Hello

Am Bollie Williams from london uk ..i deal in antiques and i do have collections of various types of knives from all over the world as my antique collections ..presently came across your contact and am intrested in making purchase with you so please do let me know the custom knifes you have available for sale at this period and also their various prices and also as for shippment let me know if you are able to ship to me in uk or if i can make pickup arrangments with my shipper for the pickup of the purchase locally at your store after the order is been completed.

Hope to hear from you soon and have a bliss Weekend.

Bollie & Mary Williams

:wacko:<_<B)

Well, it's nice to know that I have a high enough profile that they wanna scam me. Does this mean I'm somebody now? :mellow:

Watch yerselves, my friends. There's sharks all around.

Brian

• 1 month later...

I was just reading this post to find out about some of the scams, because someone is trying to scam me. Low and behold, it is the same person as described at the start of the post. Here is the email that I got:

Hello There,

Thanks for your mail, I am more than happy to purchase your pipe hawk, i must buy it because i have already promise my Brother in Califonia since he demanded for it for his own labour fixing.So i would like you to keep other buyer off the pipe hawk, and consider it sold to me, because i don't want any disapointment to my brother. You are free to deduct extra $30 for keeping the add for me, so you can deduct out $430 from the money,incase you're selling your pipe hawk to buy something else you like and i will come to assist in the shipping, like i said earlier my shipper's can take care of the shipping. As I do not want to stress you for the shipping, so some of my shipper will come to your location and pick up the pipe hawk to it final destination. Please give the information i have requested inorder for my client to make the payment:

(1)Cheque payable to name:

(2)Home Address:

(3)State:

(4)Postcode:

(5)Country:

(6)Telephone number/mobile phone:

Please send me the fellowing information and a well known business associate of my wife has agreed to make out the payment to you on my behalf from the house balance. Meanwhile she will be sending a check including the shipping fees, So you should be expecting $2,550 by next week. The reason being that i will handle the shipping by myself

like i said earlier i will be sending down my shipper to come to your location to pickup the item for me so i want you to hold it for me like you promise. I told my client about it, but he has made me understand that he cannot issue seperate check on a single

transaction like this. So i will like you to endeavour like i said i will take care of the shipping so you need not worry about that, as soon as you get the check you just have to cash it and deduct your money, the whole balance can be sent to my shipper i shall provide you his information inorder for you to do that completely and we will seal up the transaction as soon as you send my balance. Upon your reply i shall forward your details ahead to my client inorder to mail out the check to your ontime and once you get the check please make sure you inform me so that i could provide you all the complete

information you need to complete this transaction, i look for your henest reply asap.

Thanks and have a nice day.

Sam Williams............

I really hope that no one falls for these, they do sound good. This is not the first time this has happened to me, I do like to have fun with them though. I will play this guy for all he is worth. Just hope everyone is aware of these scum bags!!

Chris