Sign in to follow this  
Rich Johnson

hammer in's in Florida

I usualy use stock removel. I am new to forging. I would like to know if any body knows of any hammer in's or any one who would be willing teach me the basics on how to forge here in Central Florida.

I can be reached at RichardL.Johnson@sdhc.k12.fl.us

Thank you for your time.

Check out FABA (Florida Artist Blacksmith Association). While blacksmithing is the main focus there are hordes of knifemakers involved as well. You will learn something at every meeting! Every region of Florida has a monthly meeting/hammer-in and you will find that at least once a year these meetings are focused on knives/axes or even swords upon occasion. Mainly though you will network with other knifemakers in your area that you didn't even know existed. When I first started going to FABA meetings I discovered that there were at least half a dozen knifemakers in my immediate vicinity, including a ABS Journeyman smith just three miles from my house as well as a knifemaker nearby who once upon a time opened his shop every Sunday to area knifemakers who wanted to learn more.

FABA (Florida Artist Blacksmith Association)

Check out that link to find contacts in your area/region. It's a great place to start!

Check out FABA (Florida Artist Blacksmith Association). While blacksmithing is the main focus there are hordes of knifemakers involved as well. You will learn something at every meeting! Every region of Florida has a monthly meeting/hammer-in and you will find that at least once a year these meetings are focused on knives/axes or even swords upon occasion. Mainly though you will network with other knifemakers in your area that you didn't even know existed. When I first started going to FABA meetings I discovered that there were at least half a dozen knifemakers in my immediate vicinity, including a ABS Journeyman smith just three miles from my house as well as a knifemaker nearby who once upon a time opened his shop every Sunday to area knifemakers who wanted to learn more.

FABA (Florida Artist Blacksmith Association)

Check out that link to find contacts in your area/region. It's a great place to start!

Thank you for the info. I'll let you how it goes.

Looks like the January meeting for the Southwest region is in Sarasota on the 27th, not too far from you actually. I've found that general exposure to blacksmithing has only helped my bladesmithing despite the differences in forging mild and high carbon steels. I've been a little remiss in attending FABA meetings myself, I should get back into them.

Looks like the January meeting for the Southwest region is in Sarasota on the 27th, not too far from you actually. I've found that general exposure to blacksmithing has only helped my bladesmithing despite the differences in forging mild and high carbon steels. I've been a little remiss in attending FABA meetings myself, I should get back into them.

You sure have! ;) Jan. is at Jeff Mohr's and I hope to see you there. Later.

Rev

You sure have! ;) Jan. is at Jeff Mohr's and I hope to see you there. Later.

Rev

I'll try to go to Jeff Moh's. It is 280 miles away

Thanks

Rich

Ive sent you an invite to our bladesmithing group as well Rich.

southern bladesmiths

A lot of FABA members there as well.Tracy Dotson will be hosting a hammer in near Baker Fl. in March.Would be nice to see you there.

Glenn

southern bladesmiths

A lot of FABA members there as well.Tracy Dotson will be hosting a hammer in near Baker Fl. in March.Would be nice to see you there.

Glenn

Thanks Glenn! I was going to do that yesterday as well and got sidetracked at work. I will have to make sure I make it to Tracy's since I missed the last meeting at Micky's. Thanks for the reminder!

southern bladesmiths

Glenn

I look foward to the hammer in Baker,Florida.

Many thanks

Rich

Hi Rich,

I haven't made it to a FABA meeting yet but I just joined it last summer (only moved here in 2005). I hope to attend one soon. I recognize the sdhc in your address, what do you do for the district? I'm with USF.

Michael