I got a leather one off of Ebay for about $15 brand new. I don't normally use one except when I am forgewelding and have hot flux flying around.

Wes, Bowie, Harley, and all those guys have that same apron, and it is indeed a nice one. Expensive, but nice.

I don't usually wear one at all, but I have a heavy leather half-apron I made for days when I'm doing a LOT of welding. I have burned out the crotch of my jeans with hot flux before, and don't care to repeat the experience! :blink:

Deleted by me.

Edited by B Finnigan

Depending on the welding I'm doing I sometimes wear a leather apron that I bought from harbor freight for abot $11. Big pocketses and decent protection of all you're concerned about is spatter; it's not something I'd wear if I was to try some of those farrier tricks with the hot iron between the legs (ouch!!) I wear it pretty consistently if I'm using my angle grinder. I have too many sweatshirts with holes in them from the constant barrage of sparks :)

Edited by Kristopher Skelton

I just bought a nice leather welding apron with some gift cards from Xmas. I just love it. stop alot of the stuff that gets on my legs from making it in to the house. and I think it makes me look like an offical knifemaker(ha ha).

cya

jimi

I have an old danish army apron that I have worn for 10 years now I used to wear it a lot when I did a lot of demoing now i dont so much .It is a lovely badge of office and now moulded to my form .

Brent, no need to delete it, but I just didn't want to share the secret of my "special" apron with the masses! ;):ph34r::o:lol:

OK, we will leave it a secret then. :unsure: Just as long as you are using genuine saskatchewan sealskin bindings to keep it from comming off accidently. :blink:

Edited by B Finnigan

Just find a Tandy Leather shop or go online and find you a half cow hide roughout and then cut the top to your general shape and sew on a neck strap and long leather straps for the sides that will come all the way around to the front to tie.

Get yourself either saddle soap or some kind of leather oil and saturate and keep oiling it up, just dont use flameable or highley combustuable cements and or oils. There is no need for high dollar and fancy gear for this but I will admit a fancy apron is nice to have.

My main issue is I tend to weld wearing converse canvas shoes (dumb blacksmith 101), I tend to jump around and curse at times because of that which is great entertainment for some of the village kids who hangaround and entertain themselves by my shenanigans. Its normal for guys here to forgeweld with flipflops on for shoes, theres a picture on my simple forge thread.

• 3 weeks later...

I use a full length split cowhide apron at all times while forging. Kenny Rowes aprons are very nice and will probably last a lifetime, mine is already wearing through in one spot after a year of use. A point one of the instructors at the ABS school made is that, while it seems counterintuitive, the forge gives off a tremendous amount of radiant heat that your body absorbs. The apron and clothes that you wear actually help shield you from the heat and having a heavier apron and clothes will help to keep you cooler.