• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
Jeff Pringle

Beer = better forging?

339 posts in this topic

In a book from 1835 on gun making, the author (W. Greener, C. E.) says one should special-request the barrel makers to cold-hammer the barrels for a half-hour after they are welded up, then he throws this in:

“A gratuity is, of course, expected, either of money or beer, and I believe a few pots of the blood of Sir John Barleycorn will infuse more strength into your barrels than you could purchase for ten times the amount in money, as it has the effect of making the hammer descend with increased velocity”

:D:D:blink::wacko:

1 person likes this

This, my friend, is irrefutably true: Beer makes the hammer descend with greater velocity, accuracy & each beer-laden shot imparts a bit of poetic inspiration into the metal. Any blade made while the maker is infused with the Ale-God is harder, more flexible and longer lasting than would otherwise be true. Beer is the blood of the bladesmith, the oil of his machinery, without beer there would be no forging. It would be impossible as the bladesmith's arm would crumble like an old mummy from the pyramids of Egypt. Anvils would dissapate, hammers would shatter, forges would freeze and billow forth snow!

Beer! Beer! Beer!

Light beer definitely does not count, stouts and porters are best. A little sacrifice of what you're smoking to the fire god every once in a while is good too. ;)

"Beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy." - Ben Franklin :D:lol:

Stout and Porter in the Winter and lots of Coors light to sweat in the Summer! (it gets in the 90's here at 99% humidity).

And no designated driver needed in the back yard.

without beer there would be no forging

Ive been to a lot of hammer-ins, and indeed, beer is always at hand.

(Light beer is not beer at all, 'tis but a marketing concept)

:)

I gotta say a couple of pints at the forge has on more than one occasion improves my welds. takes the edge off.

HERESY!!!!

Beer is only teh nastay if it's really only bottle piss water :P A sweet, cream stout; a savory nut brown ale; a roasty porter; aw hell, I'll even admit to drinking the ol' 33 every once in a while :D It is meant to be enjoyed and experienced, not rushed through- like many of the finer things in life.

The words "light" and "beer" should never appear in the same sentance as far as I am concerned. Come to think of there are others, like: "decafinated" and "coffee." <_<

There is absolutly nothing nasty about beer! :angry: (add my voice to the cries of HERESY!) Our ancestors were drinking the stuff before the Egyptians were building pyramids. That's a long time to perfect the recipe, no wonder it tastes so good!

Some of the traditional tribes here in africa make beer from fermented Maize porridge. Now that's nasty!! :blink:

They still forged some fine Assagais though. (short stabbing spear, used much like a sword)

Regards

Wayne

This, my friend, is irrefutably true: Beer makes the hammer descend with greater velocity, accuracy & each beer-laden shot imparts a bit of poetic inspiration into the metal. Any blade made while the maker is infused with the Ale-God is harder, more flexible and longer lasting than would otherwise be true. Beer is the blood of the bladesmith, the oil of his machinery, without beer there would be no forging. It would be impossible as the bladesmith's arm would crumble like an old mummy from the pyramids of Egypt. Anvils would dissapate, hammers would shatter, forges would freeze and billow forth snow!

Beer! Beer! Beer!

You said all that needs to be said!

Bob

From "Report on the Manufactures of Interchangeable Mechanism" 1881 . Watches - " After stoning ---are then oxidized which consists of brushing the pieces in brass wire brushing machines , the brushes revolving in a bath of beer . This gives them a frosted appearance " :D

I wonder if hard cider has the same effect (generally speaking)? Unfortunately, beer doesn't like me and chooses to separate itself within a minute :P

I don't know what I'd do without lovely amber lagers, smooth nut brown ales and dark delicious stouts as well as everything in between.

I have to thank Jesse Frank for turning me on to IPA's as well. I go crazy for hops now. Jesse can brew a mighty fine beer!

I really like the ultra hopped IPA's made by Dogfish Head too. They also make a beer called Midas Touch which is made from a recipe derived by analyzing the remains of beer found in pots from a tomb dating to about the time of King Midas and it is a wild brew, very strong and has elements of beer, wine and mead.

A terrible injustice was done to the American people in the early part of the Twentieth century with breweries dissapearing left and right when previously, in the late 1800's, American beer was considered some of the best in the world (even by Europeans!) with thousands of breweries across the country, many run by entrepeneurial immigrant brewmasters. At least micro-breweries are making a comeback now as well as all the full bodied tasty beers. I will admit though that a icy cold Coors or Corona Light goes down awful nice when you're sweaty and it's 100 degrees out.

:o Omigosh! From what all you guys are saying my blades are already destined for failure - I'm only 16 and I can't drink yet. Does root beer count? :lol: Or is that worse than light beer? Can you master craftsmen persuade the Ale-Gods to make exceptions for us younger peoples? :D

Nothing better than forging and drinking an ice cold Guinness.

1 person likes this

Root beer is definitely NOT worse than light beer, there is nothing worse than light beer (except decaffienated coffee, or non-alcoholic beer). Root beers come in an almost infinite variety and spectrum of quality and taste.

We will make overtures on your behalf with the fire gods, drummer boy. :) I shall speak with Hephaistus this evening... Your on your own with Bacchus though. He 'can be' persuaded, but sometimes the bargain is not kind.

I'm glad I came across this thread now, in my early bladesmithing. I have, for the past several years, been slowing cutting back on my consumption of the golden nectar. This because my middle has been growing with middle age.

Fortunately, thanks to you gents I have learned just in time that I need to drink MORE beer, and indeed need MORE middle to forge my best blades.

I knew that if I did this long enough I'd find an aspect of it that will piss off my wife no end. ^_^

How about a thread on beer and power tools? :huh:

id say it counts a good deal farther than piss like milwaukie. creemore counts double.

now i know what i doing wrong not drinking beer but at the moment the stuff would freeze before i got the bottle open

Light beer definitely does not count, stouts and porters are best. A little sacrifice of what you're smoking to the fire god every once in a while is good too. ;)

Never was much of a drinker , but now I have stopped completely (Damn ! does that mean I'll never be a good bladesmith ?? oh well....)

Anyways, I do make up for it with the smoke sacrifice though ... sometimes I think the djinns in my forge are more stoned than I am :D

Edited by Monty

:o Omigosh! From what all you guys are saying my blades are already destined for failure - I'm only 16 and I can't drink yet. Does root beer count? :lol: Or is that worse than light beer? Can you master craftsmen persuade the Ale-Gods to make exceptions for us younger peoples? :D

Learn how to brew. I mean, umm... DO AS YOU ARE TOLD!

I say, let 'em drink at 14 and drive at 18, but no one cares what I think...

Beer=nasty.

Drink. Your. Medicine!