• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
Jeff Pringle

Beer = better forging?

339 posts in this topic

I don't know if any of that is true or not, but all I know is I can't do any work without a beer in my hand. actually I can, it's just more fun with beer

After a hard day at the forge...IMG_20140301_0020232.jpg

No,Jim just a cool photo, but here's mine, loves led zepplin for some reason, I was going to post it in 'banging and jammin' it's tittled 'We Love Rock'n Roll!' I can't turn the pic right way up, phone won't download a photo app I need... IMG-20140106-00107.jpg

IMG_20140414_0095925.jpg

'Nuff said!

1 person likes this

A good beer is really powerfull energy drink at forge :P Particulary in warm summer days. However whilst the weather is hot the best beer is some light pilsner style at approx 4%, but when it's colder a strong ales are the best!

I'm gonna start brewing my own in October, or rather come back to brewing, as I used to do it ten years back.

Genuine beer is expensive and the cheap "yellow" stuff is more like urine...

So hey! It's the best to brew our own! :D

In a book from 1835 on gun making, the author (W. Greener, C. E.) says one should special-request the barrel makers to cold-hammer the barrels for a half-hour after they are welded up, then he throws this in:

A gratuity is, of course, expected, either of money or beer, and I believe a few pots of the blood of Sir John Barleycorn will infuse more strength into your barrels than you could purchase for ten times the amount in money, as it has the effect of making the hammer descend with increased velocity

I can sincerely testify, from personal experience that this is absolutely... well.. you be the judge ;) :

Drunken forging by yours truly:

https://youtu.be/NEl2Xs6Bz_g?t=7m27s

Sincerely, Alveprins.

EDIT: Perhaps... just perhaps... an air-hammer is considered cheating.... :P

Edited by Alveprins

My air hammer was acting up, so I switched to cider and now I don't fart so much.

beer, the other thing close to my heart. well the wife unit too... I belonged to a beer bar back in the 80's 90's over 300 imports, most were ok some were indeed "nasty" I think it comes down to the country of origin, some countries should NOT brew beer. my top countries FOR beer are in no particular order; Australia, the British isles, Germany, Japan, America, Canada and a few others. why Japan? yummy rice beer.

While summer had always been time to prepare for a long winter months... now winter is time to prepare for hot summer :)

Today I bottled my interpretation of APA (with powerful aromatic hops: mosaic and cascade with support of lubelski) - thanks to internet the knowledge spreads worldwide.

Actually I connected old Polish receipies from book printed in 1840 and American receipes for American Pale Ale, and that is what we can call a Human Development :lol::D

Bottling APA.jpg

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who smiths and brews. The great thing about my forge is it's only 10 feet from my brewery(stumbling distance). I regularly enjoy one of my brews during forging and a couple of dirty looks from the wife when she catches me, still doesn't stop me. There is nothing better than a cold beer while working in a hot forge. I currently have a Cascadian Dark Ale(Black IPA for non-PacNorth Westerners)in the keg. I find that after 2 to 3 beers maybe 6 or 7, my hand is steadier, my blows are heavier, but the room seems to wobble a little.

FB_IMG_1481814866733.jpg

Edited by William Gray

By the way, belated happy birthday to this thread!

10 years and STILL running.

Because B=Fe²

1 person likes this

I'm almost ashamed to ask, but does this count?

beer-opt.jpg