Jeff Pringle

Beer = better forging?

On 5/5/2017 at 4:29 PM, Alan Longmire said:

I move that since O'Douls is made from barley it does count.  

Chicken feed is made from barley, does it count?

Let's not get carried away... :rolleyes:  

Just trying not to discriminate against those who choose not to drink for whatever reason.  At that point in time I was on the wagon for medical reasons which have happily passed, so the beer is flowing once more.:lol:

36 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

Let's not get carried away... :rolleyes:  

Just trying not to discriminate against those who choose not to drink for whatever reason.  At that point in time I was on the wagon for medical reasons which have happily passed, so the beer is flowing once more.:lol:

OK, good.  Alan is back in, and O'Douls and chicken feed are back out. :lol:

• Like 1

Beer gives strength and whisky inspires! That's why I drink them both :D If I want to get carried in the middle age, I drink a dram of Lagavulin!

12 hours ago, Brian Dougherty said:

Nice.  I'm more of a peat head myself...

IMG_20170909_194233432.jpg

I'm not much into such heavily peated malt. Well, the only Laphroaig I ever drank was a bottle of Quarter Cask I bought a while ago. This one is probably better. I absolutely love Lagavulin 16 years though! My all time favorite Islay.

10 hours ago, Joël Mercier said:

I'm not much into such heavily peated malt. Well, the only Laphroaig I ever drank was a bottle of Quarter Cask I bought a while ago. This one is probably better. I absolutely love Lagavulin 16 years though! My all time favorite Islay.

I think Laphroaig 10 is only slightly smokier than Lagavulin 16, and less agressive overall so you may like it.  I've never had the quarter cask.

Lagavulin is one of my favorites as well :)

Good to know, thanks!

I'm almost finished with this one. Good stuff too! I like cask strength. I love the burn :lol:

P_20170910_184827.jpg

Finally a topic I can speak to....I've been brewing beer for 20 some odd years now and have only started swinging a hammer in the last 8 months.  I've got to admit the more hop headed I get the easier it is to swing the hammer and the less concerned I am with errors.  It just flows...beer, steel and the trips to the closet tree!

I just read this full thread. I'm pretty new to the beer game myself. I was with Sam (beer=barf) until this year. I was a scotch kind of guy for a long time. I also drank rums, whiskey, a little brandy, some wine now and then... Then I found my beer...

Now I'm putting down 2 Vienna lagers every workday from the devil's backbone brewery here in Va .... I will not say how much for the weekends :ph34r:

Beer is the $#i+!!! I'm going to buy a mini fridge for my shop if I can find a deal! I feel like I've been missing out. I've got so many more beers to try! I'll see what the nectar of the gods can do for my hammer swings :lol:

Ps. Does Vienna lager count as "real beer"?

Yes it does count :) It belongs to the family of lagers, pilsners and generally bottom fermented types of Beer. What I could recommend from this family is... obviously Pilsner Urquell (Czech), and Beck's (German) - should be available all over the World :)

Once you like beer you start brewing your own, or even grow own hops :)

Funny story about Laphroaig. I'm a craft beer guy, who also enjoys Gin and Rum, but never acquired the tast for whiskey or scotch. At one of our Arctic Fire's Petr was enjoying some Laphroaig and offered me a sip. I grimaced and said it tasted like I was licking the ashes of a camp fire.

He shrugged in that particular Czech way and said: "Well, it is a manly drink."

LOL

Dave

Haha, it is like with marmite - you love it or hate. There is no "between" :lol:

On 9/14/2018 at 4:57 PM, Dave Stephens said:

Funny story about Laphroaig

Try Lagavulin 16 years before completely boycotting Islay peated scotch. You get a fair amount of peat smoke but it's no smoke bomb like a Laphroaig. Very well rounded and bodied. My all time favorite!

Just couldn't restrain ;-P As many of my friends or love or hate Laphroaig's taste I dare to compare it to Marmite, and I love their adverts... because obviously I like both things :)

For those who don't like stout whisky, you've probably been drinking it wrong. If you want to actually taste it without it burning, you have to follow a technique (some don't have too, but trust me it helps). 

First you stir it around (seems right) then you inhale the scent (don't sniff hard) then exhale and hold your breath for the tasting. Take a little in and let it hit your tongue (it's not Listerine but swish once). Swallow and inhale through your nose and exhale through your mouth taking note of the flavor as you do. 

I promise if you do this you'll enjoy what you drink rather than making a sickly face and shaking your head. 

Hope this helps someone! 

Edit: and I just wanted to add with really stiff bourbons and scotches; having it on the rocks really enhances the flavor and tames the drink a bit. I think that's why I stir mine; to mix the water from the ice in and open that flavor up. I still swish a neat drink around though; seems right lol. I like it either way, but a neat drink tends to empty faster in my case... One is more likely to preform a blasphemous act like shooting :ph34r: that's for tequila lol! 

Edited by Zeb Camper

An then it makes ya holler HYE DE HO, burns yer tummy don'cha know, .........Chugalug Chugalug ......................:D

• Haha 1

I have a very nice bottle of Tequila I enjoy exactly the same way I do for whisky. La Serpiente Emplumada is the name of I remember well.  

I thought that statement I made about tequila would be a tad controversial! 

My buddy likes the aged patróns and repasados and such. He's especially proud of his expesive Don Julio. I tried it and I reported back "tastes like I'm drinking a plank" :lol: I just haven't drank the right one I'm sure! I'll tell my buddy about the La Serpiente Emplumada you speak of. After your recomendation about that Suntori I'm inclined to trust your good taste! :D 

What? No worm????? That's for children. :D

My Tequila days are long over.

One of my favourite memes is "Find what you love and let it kill you"

Beer. Drown me in beer :D