Jeff Pringle

Beer = better forging?

Nothing like a black and tan for forging.

Has anyone tried pouring a Black Lemon or Lime. It's a black and tan with Mikes Hard lemonade or hard lime in place of the lagger.

Hardening can be made much smoother with a nice glass of Irish Cream.

"ohmy.gif Omigosh! From what all you guys are saying my blades are already destined for failure - I'm only 16 and I can't drink yet. Does root beer count? laugh.gif Or is that worse than light beer? Can you master craftsmen persuade the Ale-Gods to make exceptions for us younger peoples? biggrin.gif"

phooey! this hasn't stopped anyone else at our tender age from partaking. unfortunately, those of youthful spirits are prone to use the ale-god's best simply as a means; part of a sociological foofaraw. they see alcohol as a way to get drunk; nothing more. there, i differ. for the most part i abstain for the mere fact that i dislike not being master of myself, but if i drink, it is with all the reverence for the subject that i can muster.

on a different note; brewing simple things is rather easy. cider requires little work at all... maybe i shouldn't go much further.

Geoff

For you underage guys, think of what you're doing now as practice. ;) When you've achieved the wisdom that comes with age (yeah, right! :rolleyes: ), you may be allowed to add outside assistance to your forge mana. :lol:

I just got back from a bladesmithing class taught by Jim Batson and Chuck Patrick, and can tell you from experimental evidence that beer does indeed improve forgework, as does an offering of smoke to the fire gods.

Sour mash whiskey, on the other hand, puts one to sleep and renders the hammer inaccurate. B)

:o Omigosh! From what all you guys are saying my blades are already destined for failure - I'm only 16 and I can't drink yet. Does root beer count? :lol: Or is that worse than light beer? Can you master craftsmen persuade the Ale-Gods to make exceptions for us younger peoples? :D

just prey to the beer gods where the parental units are out of sight and out of mind....try somthing like..."i just need to be left alone with my steel, i have a blade smiths block but the steel will talk to me" you'll get one hell of a strange look but they'll leave you alone :D

i must also agree with alan...whiskey+smithing=burt body parts...think of the height your anvil is at (least where my anvil is at)...i rest my case

Edited by youngbuck

Check out my friend Rick's Beer Blog!

We've been doing quite a few all-grain batches, including my all-time favorite drink, the Wee Heavy Scotch Ale...

http://homebrew.salvagebeer.com/

Beer numbs the pain of hard, cold reality! Yay beer! :wacko:

Hey Jesse, I just found a bottle of one of your early brews laying on it's side in the back of our fridge! I stood it back up and it should be nicely settled again by this weekend when I intend to drink it, I have no idea which one it is though!

This thread reminds me of the African Ironmasters video. They're all standing around the bloomery looking real serious at first then suddenly the bowls of homebrew are being passed around. Then theyre laughing, throwing chicken blood on the adobe and dancing around the hot coals in thier bare feet.

My choice is Dos Equis amber with a slice of lime in a frosty mug.

Edited by Tim Lively

Check out my friend Rick's Beer Blog!

We've been doing quite a few all-grain batches

All-grain? If you ran some of that through a still (stainless beer kegs make great stills), would you get scotch whiskey?

'Cause scotch is preety good, after you're done forging.

:D:wacko:

I just got back from a microbrewery tour and I really wish that I had some fuel because I'm feeling the "itch" right now. Hours and hours of heavily hopped microbrewed ales will do that to me everytime.

Joe Nelson

Currently sipping on a 22 oz bottle of IPA!

Oh, that Scottish Ale we brewed is so damn good.

The Wee Heavy isn't finished conditioning... but preliminary taste tests prove very hopeful! :)

'Scuse me guys, but this post refers all the way back to the original topic. Yeah, I think anything that makes you less, hmmm, what's the word, in touch with reality, and frees your mind up some makes for better work.

OK, sorry.

Brigid is the Goddess of the Forge and of Brewing. How could Beer and Iron not mix in harmony. :)

Edited by Arik Estus

Man oh man. I gotta have my bock when I'm at the forge. Or a good hefeweizen. mmmmmm.

beer=betterforging.jpg

I almost forgot about this one... This is from my class at Peter's Valley Craft School this Summer.

-_-

hahaha, I love Dick's expression... That stayed up there for at least a month. If "Beer = Better Forging" stays there long enough, someone is bound to forge it out in 1/4" stock and hang it up on the side of the barn.

By the way, how'd the class go?

geoff

Edited by Geoff

hehe...

all dark, black ales and strong stouts are VERY welcome in my shop's fridge (not only there, of course ;) )

and once in a while, if something really special is done, a wee drum of laphroaig cask strength single malt, or am a'bunadh or some old old port allen... mmmmmhhh...

but in the morning, nothing beats a fine, perfectly black, slightly bitter and slightly sweet, with just the right "crema" and consistence, made from locally over coal fire roasted beans, espresso made by an italian (hey I'm italian, at least my passport and cooking says that ;) )...

CHEERS,

Daniel

PS: to sam, what a blasphemy ;) (it's only nasty if you had waayyyys tooooo much...)

There's such a wonderful variety of micro-brewery offerings and imports available these days I'm finding I'm spending way too much on beer. Seasonals (Dogfish Head Punkin Ale is outstanding this year), Oktoberfests, IPAs, you name it. I may have to start brewing my own to cut back on the expense. :blink: Only trouble is, I started making knives because I couldn't afford to collect them... I imagine brewing would be much the same! :lol:

HUH, wait a minute,...... you can forge WITHOUT beer?

<scritches head>

Really?

wonder why you'd want to..........

I'm just happy it's cooled off enough to move from the light stuff (heffeweisens and ales) to the dark stuff !

dan

sam must have mistyped. tasty, not nasty. sneaky keys start moving around once you have an oatmeal stout coursing through you. Calloused fingers were meant for a hammer handle, not a keyboard.

-A

AM I THE ONLY SMITH WHO DOES NOT LIKE BEER!>!?!??! I ASK YOU HEPHAESTUS?!?! WHY!??!

No there IS one other Sam...He is my forge partner. I call him power hammer...well because he uses a sledge like a pro. Hits HARD and very accurate. It's like he says "You know what I'm good for". Well I do make fun of him because he does not like beer. Now it's your turn. Beer hating pansy. :P Just kidding.