Ironwood Hunter

Karl B. Andersen

I like the facets on the handle, very cool.

Bob O

"When I raise my flashing sword, and my hand takes hold on judgment, I will take vengeance upon mine enemies, and I will repay those who haze me. Oh, Lord, raise me to Thy right hand and count me among Thy saints."

My Website

Karl, Not sure if I've seen this already since you are in high gear. Can you really tell a difference with the stabalized ironwood? Does it still smell like dog crap when your working it?

Doesn't smell at all, except for the stabilizing agent, which I don't mind that much. It's really really solid, Ray.

I've used a bunch of other people's stabilized stuff, but WSSI's is the best - by far!

And, to answer your question and Edgar Figaro's, I do my handle shaping with files by hand. So I'm not heating up the wood anyway. I don't ever get any stink that way. Also, I think if helps to resist any further movement of handle material when it never gets hot.

I can tell by the filing how much stabilizing agent is in the wood, and WSSI's goes ALL THE WAY!

Edgar, I cut out the handle profile on the band saw. Get it down to its widest thickness really flat on both sides. Stick the blade in the vise. Then i sort of draw lines on the sides where I want the corners to be all around the handle. Then, pull out the coarse flat, half-round and round files and have at it!

Then I do all my hand sanding through 220-400-800-1500-buff. I sand right down to the guard making it smooth.

With my take-down assembly, I can then disassemble and hot blue or etch my wrought iron, polish stainless, etc.

This handle never once touched the grinder for shaping - just the initial flattening and smoothing out the band saw cuts.

Edited by kbaknife

Interesting stuff.

The lines you draw sound like the ones I do when rough sanding curved handles. I then just go back and sand them round, basically cutting off the corners.

Might have to try me a faceted handle sometime =]

Beau Erwin

www.ErwinKnives.com

Custom knives

Bcarta Composites

Stabilized Woods

Interesting stuff.

The lines you draw sound like the ones I do when rough sanding curved handles. I then just go back and sand them round, basically cutting off the corners.

Might have to try me a faceted handle sometime =]

I really likr dong it that way. You start with a block of wood, make a bunch of lines and marks here and there, and basically just "connect the dots" with the file.

Hi Karl,

Just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to show your work and teach. I always appreciate your attention to detail and fit and finish.

Take care, Craig