Sign in to follow this  
blake fenton-williams

iron ore?

i live in hawaii and was wondering of any known ways to get iron ore from environment i have heard of black sand being used but dont know how. i also had the idea of tying a magnet to a string and putting it in a river to collect iron. would this work.?

i live in hawaii and was wondering of any known ways to get iron ore from environment i have heard of black sand being used but dont know how. i also had the idea of tying a magnet to a string and putting it in a river to collect iron. would this work.?

Yes. exactly the process used even in scaled up industrial settings. Maybe a little more time consuming with a hand magnet. In the Baltic, tubes of extruded iron are found in fishing nets that drag the bottom. Plenty of vulcanism where you live so you could find all sorts of interesting things.

I made a couple magnetic extractors to get iron ore from sands. They are both made from PVC pipe and are easy to build and use. If you want I can post some pics of them. After you get some you have to be able to find out how much iron is actually in it. The black sands around my area are loaded with silicas and quartz. They do not smelt very good.

If you send me a small sample I can look at it under a digital microscope and email the pics to you. At 60X it will be real obvious how "clean" the ore is. Here a couple pics on another thread I posted here.

Microscopic iron ore comparisons.

Edited by B Finnigan

Hawaii is full of black sand beaches but that's because the rock source for erosion/sand production is basalt. I wonder how much iron could be in it? Have you tried running a magnet through the sands at all?

i havent run the magnet through any black sand beaches yet (mainly because the closest one is a hippy nude beach :( ) but i have dragged one down my road and found a bunch iron shaveings. i was also thinking of placing a magnet in my gutter to collect metoritic iron from the rain.

Why, oh why, would you have a frowny face when discussing a nude beach in Hawai'i :D ... or is it a nude beach for Samoan dudes only? Yikes!!

The last time I was in Hawaii (Big island) it was completely surrounded by beaches. I suspect most of the other islands are also. :wacko:

Why, oh why, would you have a frowny face when discussing a nude beach in Hawai'i :D ... or is it a nude beach for Samoan dudes only? Yikes!!

I second that! I think that if I were in Hawaii and lived near a nude beach I would use that as an excuse, whether there was ore there or not! :D

just a word of advice, if you drag a magnet, put something around the magnet (like a peice of tarp or something.

That way you dont spend six months trying to pic peices of iron of the damn magnet.

just flip the tarp inside out and you have all you peices.

I do something similiar in my shop, everytime I do some machining I use a large magnet wrapped in a cloth and it works quite well. I estimate that I have a few pounds of shavings as of now, I will eventually smelt it when I get more over the coming year(s).

Edited by Alex Roy

well i tried dragging a magnet thru my water tank and came up with some rust and a few nails. i will try a small stream up the road from my house. yah the problem with this beach is that everyone assumes "oh yeah nude beach +hawaii=sexy nude women" but in actuality its mostly hippies and dudes trying to see the nude women which equals a sausage fest, so yeah frowny face. lol. not to mention if you park your car there it will be broken into. (except for one time when i went surfing with my friends (huge surf at said beach) and my friend who had a truck didnt want to get ripped off so we took turns sitting in the bed of his truck with his .44 mag rifle. :)

If anyone wants I can mail them forge scale. There is usually a hunderd or so pounds of the stuff lying in piles at work. I can fit 35-40 Lbs of it in a flat rate postal box. If you cover postage I'll send you as much as you want.

Wayne Suhrbier

Wayne, I can't remember if I posted about it, but right before I moved, on my third try I did finally manage to smelt a bit of iron--an ounce maybe, threaded through the dense black semi-glassy slag nodules that have been the main product of my smelting efforts so far. This was from the scale you kindly sent me a couple summers ago, using a short-stack bloomery made mostly of cement, clay, vermicultie, and perlite. I'm apparently a slow learner where smelting is concerned. I haven't been able to set up to smelt again since I arrived in Florida, but I will try again eventually with the last of the scale. I hope the fourth time will be the charm. I understand iron scale was re-smelted in medieval times and perhaps before, so there must be a way to get my process to return a higher yield, if only I can figure it out. If anyone else works out a better process with this material, I'd love to hear about it. Thanks again Wayne for sending me the material to try this out.

Michael

Edited by mstu

wayne that would be great shoot me an email at wilcox.john@gmail.com and ill give you my address and all that jazz. thanks for the help y'all