Holston Mtn. Hammwrin 2007

Adlai, put me down for ten to fifteen pounds or so of the plate. Whatever the closest chunk size to that is. :) What is the condition of the pipe? I'd be interested in that if it's in good shape. Cash or I'll trade you some wagon tire wrought. Or some really crappy tie rod wrought...

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been trying to cut the plates down to about 10 -15 lbs strips or squares. Some of the sheets are 40-50 lbs. Also some of the plates have huge wrought rivets in them. Not sure what to do with those but I'me sure there are some interesting aplications.

I haven't messed with the pipe yet but it's pretty rusted. but I tink it will clean up nice. I'll try and get some pictures up this weekend if the weather is decent. I would prefer cash since I have to split the proceeds but some trade would be fine.

Hey Larry, is there still room for two more this year? I just today was able to confirm that I could get the days off work. A friend and I would love to come, this will be our first hammer-in. Thanks.

Larry

Pardon my ignorance, but what kinds of tests are used during a sword competition?

i,m not sure what we will do but i can promise they will be deviouis and underhanded

harley

Hey Larry, is there still room for two more this year? I just today was able to confirm that I could get the days off work. A friend and I would love to come, this will be our first hammer-in. Thanks.

Larry

got lots of room

if this is your first hammerin then all future hammerins will pale by comparison:)

harley

Edited by larry harley

i,m not sure what we will do but i can promise they will be deviouis and underhanded

harley

got lots of room

if this is your first hammerin then all future hammerins will pale by comparison:)

harley

Larry,

Are the tests gonna test me of the sword? You know I can't cut my way out a wet papaer bag.

Ric

harley

got lots of room

harley

Larry,

Are the tests gonna test me of the sword? You know I can't cut my way out a wet paper bag.

Ric

Larry, Are the tests gonna test me of the sword? You know I can't cut my way out a wet paper bag. Ric

Ric,

Larry would likely put you into the shed with an angry hog, hand you a sword and a lit string of firecrackers just to see if you'd figure it out. If the hog wins there won't be barbecue for supper. I'm bettin on you buddy and I'd rather not owe that rascal any money.

And I don't wanna owe Randal any money either. Not to put any pressure on ya or anything. I am sorry that I can't be there this year. Whatever Harley comes up with has got to be a real treat.

Edited by Mike Blue

Hey all, Harley, is this gathering like a Friday night and Saturday all day and Sunday morning type of thing? Or do we have a full day on Friday? Or what? THanks, I am trying very hard to figure out how to check a bag of charcoal,,,,

hmmmm

jm

dang,,, silly-no,,,simple-yes,,,, I can never see the simple things, and I curse myself daily ,,,,

really, my point was I was trying to figure out if I can make it. I have to say, thie whole HI thing is killing me, always out east, far east, like this one is ~1450 miles. Anyone want to come to Denver?lol,, Anyhow, thanks for pointing out my glaring inadequacies (do you know my boss?),lol.

jm

All day friday, 9 am to midnightish, all day saturday 9am-ish until about 2pm on sunday, no break overnight. IF you're man enough to stay up all night with the locals.;) Ask Ric about that...

All day friday, 9 am to midnightish, all day saturday 9am-ish until about 2pm on sunday, no break overnight. IF you're man enough to stay up all night with the locals.;) Ask Ric about that...

Why is everybody always pick'n on me? I didn't harm nobody but myself.

Ric

I intend on arriving thursday night. Ric, do I need to bring anything for the smelt? Or just two willing hands? What about tools?

Oh, and will there be enough of that ore to spirit away a small can of it for crucible melting later?

Hey Prizzim, would you be interested in some local ore (southwest virginia) ? I would be glad to give you a can of the local stuff to play with. It's what I use here for my little smelts :) Its free and Ric doesnt have to haul it from way up north. :P

I'll bring some with me just to have around, if you want to haul some home just let me know. :D

Randy

Why is everybody always pick'n on me? I didn't harm nobody but myself.

Ric

We pick because we care. :) Plus, I was kinda fascinated. You hear about people turning green around the gills, but you're the first person I have ever actually seen display that phenomenon.

We love ya, man! ;)

Hey Prizzim, would you be interested in some local ore (southwest virginia) ? I would be glad to give you a can of the local stuff to play with. It's what I use here for my little smelts :) Its free and Ric doesnt have to haul it from way up north. :P

I'll bring some with me just to have around, if you want to haul some home just let me know. :D

Randy

Dunno 'bout Chris, but I'd like a sample or three of it! I'll try to get some local magnetite for show and tell too.

I intend on arriving thursday night. Ric, do I need to bring anything for the smelt? Or just two willing hands? What about tools?

Oh, and will there be enough of that ore to spirit away a small can of it for crucible melting later?

Just the usual safety gear...glasses, cotton cloths, gloves boots etc.

I will not have much extra ore.

Ric

Just the usual safety gear...glasses, cotton cloths, gloves boots etc.

I will not have much extra ore.

Ric

Alright, will do.

Randy

That would be awesome. Maybe a coffee can's worth, that'd be more than enough to play with for a year, I think.

Chris, I have a decent bit of the powdered ore that Ric will be bringing (assumeing he's using the stuff Doc Blue uses).

I'll bring ya a can full

~SF

Excellent!

I can't wait. 2 and a half weeks to go....

I collected some ore this weekend for comparative purposes. I went up to Cranberry, North Carolina and the old magnetite mine, from which I extracted about 50 lbs of really nice ore. I'll bring that, plus a sample of two other East Tennessee ores: A manganese-rich limonite from Valley Forge, TN, and an ordinary limonite from near Townsend, TN. I have some specular hematite from western TN somehwere, but I haven't seen it for about seven years now... :(

Here's a picture of two 10lb chunks of magnetite plus the two limonites.

ore.jpg