Holston Mtn. Hammwrin 2007

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No address, but it'll take you an hour to get there from Harley's plus a 1/4 mile hike uphill. There's a new gate down near the road. :(

From Harley's place, go out to US 11-E/19-E and head south. Follow 19-E when it turns left at Bluff City, go straight through Elizabethton, on through Roan Mountain, and follow 19-E into NC to the Spruce Pine turnoff about two miles past the state line. This is the "town" of Cranberry. Park at the Picnic shelter across the road from Cranberry Baptist Church and follow the BLACK atv trail past the gate away from the road (east). I took a magnet on a stick, which would be the way to get easily smeltable amounts since the black sand on the trail is magnetite dust from the old ore milling operation. The mill was at the foot of the ridge, the foundations are still there.

I got a bucket of larger ore chunks so folks could see what it looks like in big pieces and maybe take a chunk home.

Geologically, the Cranberry ore district is a bunch of lens-shaped magnetite bodies in a Gneiss and Granite substrate. There's big and small deposits over a 40-square mile area from Cranberry all the way to Watauga Lake. Go to Mindat.org and do a location search for magnetite in the cranberry district and you'll get something like 60 mines and prospects with GPS co-ordinates.

I took a magnet on a stick, which would be the way to get easily smeltable amounts since the black sand on the trail is magnetite dust from the old ore milling operation.

Incognito as a lost blind hiker again eh?

That raw ore will need to be roasted to help the dirt move along somewhere else. Magnetic screening of the raw material, especially sand like stuff. Remember the slag fight we had using somebody else's black sand? It all still came out okay, but that was a lot more work and worry than was necessary. I know that there are folks who just chuck it into the fire. However, success is more likely by decreasing the amount of crud you load up front.

Not only do I remember the slag fight, Harley and I tried to do a crucible smelt of some of this ore without roasting it first once. We added some crushed oystershell 'cuz we're ignorant hillwilliams. Turns out the Cranberry ore is self-fluxing in addition to being a little too tight to crack without roasting. We ended up with a crucible overflowing with slag, in the bottom of which was a nugget of steel the size of a silver dollar. This from a quart of crushed ore running about 70% iron! :rolleyes:

I was gonna send Ric home with one of those ten-pound ore chunks for you, but now I'm not so sure... ;)

I was gonna send Ric home with one of those ten-pound ore chunks for you, but now I'm not so sure... ;)

What was that Mike, ore from Alan? :unsure: Nope, can't say I remember him giving me any ore for you.

wait....nope does not ring a bell. :rolleyes:

Ric

I don't have the juice to run a full smelt in my backyard here in D.C. Suburbia... but a small series of crucible melts would do nicely.

I've heard of roasting, but never seen it in action... if I have sand-like particles, do I hold them in a crucible and fire at forging temp for a while, then cool/screen/magnasift, and cook the good stuff at melting temp to get usable material?

And it was Tai's sand. The first time he brought it, we ran it magnetically picked out of the bucket, added a bit of crushed oyster shell, and cooked it in a crucible. The result wasn't half bad, if I remember right, Larry made a sellable knife from it.

Larry, I know in years past most folks either sleep in their trucks or get a hotel... I'm without a camper, and need to pinch my pennies this year - do you mind if I set up a tent down by your fenceline where it's mostly flat?

Larry, I know in years past most folks either sleep in their trucks or get a hotel... I'm without a camper, and need to pinch my pennies this year - do you mind if I set up a tent down by your fenceline where it's mostly flat?

yes

BUT

i got the whole back yard where the propane tank is thats flat

bring a cd of last yr i,ll buy it

i,m getn wound up its almost time

harley

yes

BUT

i got the whole back yard where the propane tank is thats flat

bring a cd of last yr i,ll buy it

i,m getn wound up its almost time

harley

Excellent, thanks Larry. I've been working on the DVD all day today, fixing little things I don't like, finding parts that were corrupt from my last computer crash... hopefully it will all come together in time. I have about an hour and a half's worth of excellent footage, mainly centered on Mike and Ric talking steel. Mr. Becker's cutting competition is also represented. I would have loved to include Al's presentation as well, but it's buggy and almost impossible to hear well. If anyone wants them, I can arrange those files seperately. But the smelt, and the making/forging of blister/shear steel both are worth their weight in gold. Plus there's enough "other stuff" to hopefully give people an idea of what the whole party's like.

I don't have fancy label machines or jewelboxes, but I hope I can sell these for just enough to cover my costs of showing up this year, and have some Iron In The Hat money. So ultimately, it all goes back to you, Larry! I wouldn't have it any other way.

I don't have labels but I have some jewel cases I can donate how many do you think you need?

I don't have fancy label machines or jewelboxes, but I hope I can sell these for just enough to cover my costs of showing up this year, and have some Iron In The Hat money. So ultimately, it all goes back to you, Larry! I wouldn't have it any other way.

wish I could come :(

if u would talk your boss into vacationing in the smokies insted of the burnt wastland call the dakotas

u coulda come this yr

i,ll set u , the familey and that camper on the banks of the best trout fishery in the east

where its cool and green ( the pic is called moral swasion)

u can make some money on the weekend and have the rest of the time to explore the mtns.

ive already approached grand paw meier about next yr

id like for u and he and steve and don to demo next yr

me and rick will gopher and even mike blue can show up if he promises to be nice

and not make fun of us hillwilliams

harley

I can honestly say I,m getn as wired up as a transformer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

happens ever time i host this thing

whats going to happen

rain??

snow??

hammer not showing up ?

attendance enough so I can pay my demonstrators what they deserve instead of what they get??

food adequate

bla

bla

bla

harley

bla bla possum

Smoky_Mtns2_color_copy.jpg

ive already approached grand paw meier about next yr ... and even mike blue can show up if he promises to be nice and not make fun of us hillwilliams

harley

Just waving my finger in the general direction of one of your hot buttons and see'n if I'm as good at gettin a rise outa you, as you are with other folks. :D

Next year I won't have any conflicting obligations, you better watch over your shoulder. I'd like to setup the furnace right there next to the big tree and see if I can get a slag run forty feet or so down your driveway....'bout the time the bluegrass band hits "Fire on the Mountain, run boys run..."

Edited by Mike Blue

My father in-law's family owns a meat processing plant near Harrisburg PA He sent me a bunch of beefsticks and some sausages for the weekend. I have about 3 lbs of beef sticks vacume sealed to bring and share.

I also have about 130lbs of WI cut up to sell and trade. I'm totaly psyched about this weekend.

Dang, that's a long drive for Ric. I have another day at work(sucks) before I start my trek... and it's still a 6-8 hour drive, depending on traffic and weather.

And Adlai, those 3 lbs of beef aren't nearly enough. Some of us can do that just for breakfast.

Any word yet on what the swords will be cutting? By the way, the weather may be wet thursday into friday, but sat/sun should be sunny and clear.

man. I wish I could make it down there! you guys have fun. sounds like it's gonna be a blast.

jake

next yr bring ther wife and kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!i,ll bet your daughter has never had 50 blksmiths sing hbappey birth day to her:)

harley

jake

next yr bring ther wife and kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!i,ll bet your daughter has never had 50 blksmiths sing hbappey birth day to her:)

harley

:D:D:D:D

I mite just take you up on that offer. gotta talk the wife into it! B)

drink some moonshine for me anyway! can't wait to see pictures.