Finally, success in forging a hammer.

After much trial and error with forging hammers, I got a good one forged out. Made from 1050 hydraulic piston rod. Weighs about 2-1/4 pounds.

tt003-3.jpg

tt001-8.jpg

I like hammers and axes. :D

Edited by Murch

Thanks BobO. Actually, the Czech style hammer is a Hofi hammer. The Czech style hammers are spin offs of the Hofi hammer. Most of the spin offs are cast in Czechloslovakia so they became known as the Czech hammer, according to Hofi himself.

Edited by Murch

Thanks Edgar. Here is a pic of a few of my drifts. I make them myself. I finished this eye with the one on the right. You start with a rough drift that is forged out to the approximate shape and taper, then once you get the eye opened up, you finish it with the nice precise drift. The drift should taper about 1/8" or 3/16" per inch of length. Drift from both sides to give a squeeze in the middle. That holds the handle on tighter.

aaaaa024.jpg

Thanks Mike. The pics of me swinging it will come within a few weeks. I used approximately 1-1/2" sq, forged down from 2" rd.

Thanks BobO. Actually, the Czech style hammer is a Hofi hammer. The Czech style hammers are spin offs of the Hofi hammer. Most of the spin offs are cast in Czechloslovakia so they became known as the Czech hammer, according to Hofi himself.

I dunno about the origin of the Hofi or Czech style hmmer. To me, it would make sense that Hofi says he came up with the design, it means more money for him :P I don't think that someone could have missed that particular design of hammer in all of history. I actually own one of Hofi's hammers and to be honest, the short handle doesn't really do much but give you less force to hit with. :huh: Sorry to distract from your hammer.

Now, about your drifts... You may want to forge a short taper on the ends you left strait. it'll help the drift last longer and you can drive t all the way through if you need to. ^_^

The drifts are fine. I don't need to drive the drift all the way through. The eye needs to be hourglass shaped.

You see, if you drive a tapered drift in equally from both sides it gives you a squeeze in the middle- an hourglass shape.

I'm not looking for help here. Hammers are quite simple. Besides a few simple subtleties, they are just bar with a hole through them.

Edited by Murch

The hour glass shape also keeps you handle from breaking off. I have had hammers that where tapered from one side and they snap the handle off from the bottom side of the hammer head. Try dodging one of those when they sneak up on you.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually own one of Hofi's hammers and to be honest, the short handle doesn't really do much but give you less force to hit with. :huh:

You know Bob, it's not the size of the handle, it's how you swing the hammer ;) Have you tried using your Hofi with the method of use that it was designed for? I'm only about half way there on keeping with Hofi's method, but I can really move some steel even with the smaller one (oh yeah, I bought a 3lb Hofi from John down at Gitchners :) ).

Murch,

Excellent looking hammer! Do you plan to keep the handle square or have the grip portion rounded?

-d

• 1 month later...