Finally, success in forging a hammer.

• 1 month later...

Another hammer! I went to the Madison conference a few weeks ago and I learned a lot about forging effectiveness and technique from Tom Clark and Dean Curfman. I've switched up my grip some and the style of this new hammer is a little different. I also wound up winning second place in the forging competition.

Edited by Murch

I'm taking orders for hammers right now. You tell me what size and what type- dbl face, cross peen, etc. Most will be $60. - $80.

Edited by Murch

I haven't forgotten you, buddy... just ran out of money! Got home from Larry's and realized I needed to rebuild the darn front walkway...

...any chance you would consider making a japanese-style hammer?

japforgham1_resize.JPG

Absolutely! This will be great because I've always been curious about how those things forged steel. So yeah, just let me know what size. Price won't be any different because making them is essentially the same.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

JUST finished this hammer. 1-5/8" sq 1050. Weighs about 2-1/2 pounds. Short handle subtley tapering on the sides, front, and back so that it automatically jams itself into your hand allowing for a looser grip. Distance from eye to face and peen is kept short to minimize twisting and increase accuracy.

tt021-18.jpg

Still haven't found the time when forging it to put my touch mark in it :blink: I'm making them too fast now. I had the eye on this one finished in 6 heats, which ain't bad for me. Slit, slit, drift, drift, flatten sides, drift.

Nice :D . Eight heats is about what it takes me even with the big arse hole I drill for mine. So your doing much better than my efforts, you must be eating your Wheaties :P .

You gotta stamp em mate.

Jas.

Hey Ty, it's time to talk seriously about the above-mentioned Japanese style hammer, I think... would you prefer if I PM you, call you, whatever?

And I want a name stamp on mine!

Edited by Matt Gregory

Hey Ty, it's time to talk seriously about the above-mentioned Japanese style hammer, I think... would you prefer if I PM you, call you, whatever?

And I want a name stamp on mine!

Hey Matt, anybody can call me anytime at (478)-501-8374. Yes, name stamps on all of them from now on. :)

Here's a heads up. :o Been making more than a few hammers :blink: , and I just about have it nailed :wacko: . Within the next week or two, I wil have a small group of hammers for sale. Now from 4150 steel. I'll have a few cross peen hammers in the 2-1/2 pound range, and a few small cross peens, probably about 1-1/2 pounds. They will have my touchmark and they are professional quality.

Stay tuned,

t

I've meant to call you at least once a day for a week, Ty... life keeps getting in the way.

I'll try and give you a yell Monday morning, around 9:15 or so, if that's okay?

...think you could have one (with a handle) ready for me to bring to Derrick Wulf's New Northeast Hammer-In? I'm definitely attending, so it might be able to hammer up some business for ya!

Edited by Matt Gregory