Sakura_Ornamental_design_by_Firekun.jpg

Just a Design I have for a Katana, I'm not sure on the hamon yet but I think this one will either be Notare or Choji style

Anyways this is the big project I hope to get done.

I plan on making a few Tanto's and Knives before this just to get the feel for things. but this is the big project for 07-08?

Choji would go well with the ornate nature or the peice.

Thats what I was thinking

Personally Gentle Notare is my favorite Hamon style, but I guess For this Choji will work better.

I want to give an illusion of serenity in the blade, (theres nothing more flowing then Notare :D) But it clashes a bit.

Choji it is, But I need to read up more on choji style before I settle the Deal

i've seen a few scott slobodian pieces with hamons that start as choji at the ha and become notare abot 1/3 of the way along, with a more active boshi; this would maybe be a solution? also, can i ask what is with the cutout in the habaki at the hamachi? or am i just reading the pic wrong. the design as a whole looks beautiful - what materials were you thinking of?

Hi LucDeschenes,

A couple things based on your sketches. The depth of the Koiguchi and Fuchi are not so typical, but there is no reason that they can't be that way. The deep Koiguchi reminds me of Chinese Jian scabbard. Fuchi do come in depths like this, but its not very common. You might want to deepen the Kashira to go along with this pattern. A shallow Kashira will not quite match up with the two deeper fittings. When you find an antique set with deeper Fuchi the Kashira is usually deeper as well.

One of the hardest things about designing on a Tsuba is laying out the patterns and scaling them so that the design still works visually when mounted. The Seppa and Fuchi are going to cover up portions of both blossoms in your sketch. This might not look very elegant when mounted. You also want the Seppa Dai to be flat and offer support to the Seppa and Fuchi. Take away too much of this bearing surface and parts begin to deform under stress.

Katana always have a Seppa on both sides of the Tsuba. These usually match. I don't know what the notch is in the Habaki sketch, but if you made a Habaki that appeared that way in reality then it would look really odd. Habaki rarely have a Shinogi (central ridge line). When the sword is properly viewed the Sakura on the Habaki will appear low and throw off the visual flow of the whole mount. I would not have the Shinogi echoed in the Habaki. I would move the decoration on the Habaki to a central position.

Design every thing so that it appears correct and natural with the blade edge up. Overlay your Fuchi and Seppa onto the Tsuba then design the Tsuba taking into consideration how the design may or may not get covered. This may also affect the overall size of the Tsuba you choose.

Regards,

Patrick

This is just what I needed !

thanks for the help on my design, this was really sketchy, and I wasn't 100% with this design either, So I hope I'll have a better design up soon, I might have the drawing down pretty well, but when it comes to Swords I need a lot of work

but considering most People I've seen draw katanas, they make them flat *chokuto style* even though most started to be curved when they were using that tempering tech. and they make the Hamon, the Line of the sharpen edge.

Oh well I guess I'm somewhere Midway