Fighter, Custom Project for Dan Walters

This is a custom request...

the design has been based upon very detailed specifications supplied by Dan Walters....

the work will commence monday or tuesday and on my new "Work in Progress" page there will be picture updates about this project...

http://www.ferrum.cc/en/ferrum/projects-wo...n-progress.html

Fighter1v4.jpg

Daniel

Daniel that is sweet, what are the materials going to be?

well the blade will be D2, with a mirror-finish and being hot blued (sodium blued preferrably)

he handle will be made from presentation grade snakewood

and the fittings from brass..

daniel

This is a custom request...

the design has been based upon very detailed specifications supplied by Dan Walters....

With a little help from Daniel Gentile...! The fighter takes the best of many fighter designs. The blade shape was "tweaked" by Daniel on the CAD drawing. Snakewood (from Gilmer) is a natural for the handle, since it will emulate the stacked leather handle on recon bowies of the 60's by Bone, Silvey, Randall, SOG, et al. The small guard, inspired by John Ek's creations, will both be functional, and allow for a less troublesome extraction from the sheath.

I'm sure it will turn out better than my expectations. Daniel is great to deal with as a knifemaker; he replies very rapidly, and has offered important suggestions as far as steel, heat treat, handle shape, bluing, etc.

Thanks, Daniel!

Dan, Great looking design, Very sleek.

On a separate note. How do you do your shading and color? I draw in autocad and convert the dwg to pdf, but I can't get color and shading. I would love to learn that process. I have a few knives drawn on dwg format and would like to show people more of the concept of the blade by adding the shading and color.

Thank you very much,

Adam

Thanks for your kind words, HMR... I'd love to take credit for the drawing, but that was done by Daniel Gentile... :D He'll be chiming in soon, and I'm sure he'd be happy to share his know how.

Half Moon,

I'm going to chime in on the graphics programs. I prefer Adobe Illustrator for this kind of thing-mainly because I already have it and know it well. There are other vector-based drawing programs out there that are simpler and will do the job as well (Freehand is one-though not neccesarily simpler). Depending on how the PDF is made, you can open it and modify the lines and colors in Illustrator. It might even open your DWG file, i'm not sure about that though.

Illustrator is invaluable to me for exactly this kind of thing. If I don't have a stencil for a certain shape of oval for a spacer or if I want to make a pattern for an "s" guard, or if I just want to get a sense of the scale of things, I just lay it out with Illustrator's bezier curves, print it out on some card stock, and cut it out (instant pattern).

It's a really powerful design tool, if you operate that way. Some folks can work out of an image in their heads. I need to draw it out - if it's something that I really want to look a certain way, anyway.

I'm sure Daniel (and others) will have some different views. There are a lot of ways to "skin a cat", and there are a lot of graphics programs. Photoshop will allow you to do similar things (though it'll be a raster image not vector) - doesn't really matter for this type of thing though.

I'll look forward to hearing others opinions.

Andy

Thanks for all the replies!

to the technical / graphic question...

there are many ways to achieve this result... the simplest (but not the one I used) is to draw the blade in whatever vector based graphics or CAD Program you're comfortable with... and then load it into photoshop / Gimp / whatever ... select the parts of the blade you want to apply the first shading to and then select the rest and apply another shading. experiment a little and it should give satisfactory results...

and for those curious about how I did the design above... I used my CAD programm (on my Mac), to create a the blade from TWO PARTS... the Edge-part and the rest...

different fills for both parts and there you go ;)

I'm sure Daniel (and others) will have some different views. There are a lot of ways to "skin a cat", and there are a lot of graphics programs. Photoshop will allow you to do similar things (though it'll be a raster image not vector) - doesn't really matter for this type of thing though.

I'll look forward to hearing others opinions.

Andy

andy, Illustrator is a great program... and for designing blades can be of good use...

the main reasons for me to use a more "sophisticated" CAD System are:

- Measurments... this is where Illustrator is a bit a PITA

- Rotation of folding blades (yes illustrator can handle this), but my the CAD I use makes use of fixed rotation axis ... and can more efficiently work with layers and such things (layers in illustrator go only half the way compared to most pro CAD solutions)

- Design / Drawing / Printout views... this is where CAD Systems (modern ones) win over any Illustrator like program... I can have several plain drawings in one file as well as "render" various design views and then export these to JPEG PDF BMP PNG PSD or whatever...

daniel

Looking forward to seeing the progress on this one Daniel.:)

Hey colin, long time no hear... how're things goin' in the UK? still making the bowies?

Hey Daniel,

What Cad program are you using for the Mac, we ordered the same Mac that you have should be here Tuesday.

Mike

At the moment I'm giving VectorWorks a Try.... and it's quite promising so far.

In college my computer drawing class used Freehand 10.

I've used it a couple other times, once was for plans for a display case I wanted to make.

Might have to keep it in mind that it'd be a good tool for designing.