Is it just me?

Seems to me that lately there has just been a flood of some really amazing work hitting the shown tell and the for sale forum, really original stuff, really tight, really inspired.

It's COOL!

Man, everybody is just rockin lately. Anybody else notice it too?

Yeah Mr Graham, I noticed everything has been so amazing lately! A big thanks to Don and the rest of the admins for the very excellent friendly atmosphere here on the forums, THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Sam Salvati

I agree Randal, there has been some amazing work lately here on the forum. Most of it I am just so stunned I am at a loss of words and that is rarely a problem ask my wife :D .

Edited by Mike Turner

Complete agreement. I started checking this forum about a year ago. Mostly looking for info on materials, heat treating etc. The art being shown set me on my butt. Talk about raising the bar!!! Just the fit and finish put me to shame. This site has caused me to re-double my efforts to excel.

It can be very intimidating to newbies, but we all made a pick up truck full of anchors and give aways. But this forums helps us all, even if it does shine a spot light on my wrats and all.

Thank You all, keep posting, discussing and sharing.

Jim

I agree, as a newbie I take a look at some of the work and think "there is now way I could do that" but the progress pics are great! When I see what the item looked like from the start, and it looks like forge I just put on a blade, well then I know I am on the right road. There are not many places where a hobbyist and a pro can rub elbows. I don't know of many forums where golfers can bounce questions to Tiger Woods, like we can here.

Jason

speakin of awesome

I have a 10" Tanto out of Don's W2 that I just hardened (like a couple hours ago)

that I am VERY excited about, if I can find my camera cable I'll have pictures in a minute

One of the reasons I frequent this forum over the others is the overall quality and sense of commradery that is displayed on this forum. As a newb (sort of) it has helped inspire me to try and be the most I can be as a bladesmith.

I once sent Don an email (showing how ignorant and egotistical I can be) telling him that his work inspired me and my goal is to be a better bladesmith than even him. He told me that I will get out of it what I put in. He was so very right on that. Don, I do apologize for my comments. I realize that its a lot more than trying to be the best. It's about carrying on a tradition and having like minded people there to support you, and for you to support during the journey, not of becoming the best, but becomming the best you can possibly be.

Thanks Don

Neocryptica I agree it is more than just being the best.

I want to be the best I can be, and excel to the point that I can produce items such as the likes of some of the makers that display their work here.

It's also great to carry on the tradition of a craft that has been very influential in the development of the human race. I'd say bladesmithing has been very important. Don is a great guy for providing such a great place for us all to come and share ideas and projects and the like. It really does have a sense of camaraderie, in that everyone is so giving in what they wish to share. Keeping the craft alive!

Can't wait to post more of my own stuff, wish I had more time. Damned walmart takes too much of it and doesn't give me enough dough in return. *laughs*

Randal i have to agree i am very impressed with the work that the members here have been showing us. I know this forum has certainly helped me with my forging skills.

Thanks Everyone

Bob

Yeah, it has come a long way in a short time, thanks for this place Don.

I've even seen some posts just lately that were "my first attempt" threads that make me embarrassed enough over my first knife that it'll never ever be seen by anybody again.

:D

Sometimes I think I might be better off to make knives as a hobby and just build forges, presses, heat-treat rigs and steel and stuff and just sit back and watch the show. Be a lot easier on my arm ( and ego) that way.

I agree that there has been an unbelievable amount of amazing work lately but I think that the people on this list are among the most helpfull and encouraging as I have ever had the pleasure to meet. It's not only that Don has given us the place to use but the quality of people/craftsman that he has drawn to it. Let’s face it there are dozens of forum related to our hobby but non have the quality of work and people that make this one standout to the degree that it does. I think everyone deserves a pat on the back for your contributions here.

Pass the tissues I’ve gone and gotten all misty eyed. :D

Yeah, it has come a long way in a short time, thanks for this place Don.

I've even seen some posts just lately that were "my first attempt" threads that make me embarrassed enough over my first knife that it'll never ever be seen by anybody again.

Sometimes I think I might be better off to make knives as a hobby and just build forges, presses, heat-treat rigs and steel and stuff and just sit back and watch the show. Be a lot easier on my arm ( and ego) that way.

As one who still hasn't made anything more than a few models from mild steel, I feel slightly akward adding in here, but;

I think, personally, that the only reason that the level of beginners is improving so vastly is that there are so many people like yourselves(Mr. Graham, Mr. Fogg, and all the others here) that are so willing to advise and provide examples and help for us new people. I also think that with places like this, it makes it seem much more feasable for us new-folk. I, for one, would definately get a kick out of seeing the "first knife"'s of all the people here who've inspired me.

But that could just me be.

Doug

Edited by Doug Bostic

I agree there has been some jaw dropping stuff being shown......... good thread Randal.... and I agree with Doug....... It would be fun to see a First Knife/latest Knife thread......... Keeping your first knife is a good way of keeping your feet on the ground.......and showing you latest is a good way of crowing....... The comparision would be a good way for all of us to see we all started from scratch and to not be too discouraged by the first one but to be inspired that if someone else can grow that much so can I....... I know my first one makes me laugh now........ and I thought at the time it was pretty good/just horrible

The level of craftsmanship rises with each new posting. One can only assume that makers are benefiting from each other's work. I'm just in awe of some of the blade work as well as some of the art thats put into these knives. I thought I was excessive and compulsive but I have to admit, some of you guys put me to shame-----but thats a good thing. Keep it up!!! :blink:

Peter