W2 Tanto (progress pics)

stephanfowler

Description: 9.875" Nagasa Tanto in W2

Steel: W2 Tool Steel

Thickness: .312 at Machi .205 at Yokote

Blade: 9.875" Nagasa (trying for Choji Hamon)

Here are some Progress pictures of a Tanto that I am working on currently.

This is my first piece out of W2 (from Don Hanson) and I am very excited about working with this steel

Shown here is the original stock size, next to the broken down bar stock. I flattened it with a 12 Lb sledge with my brother holding the steel, took about two hours to get it down to 3/8" x 1 1/4". As you can see the original stock is 11" long, and the bar is 19" long, so flattening got my an extra 8 inches. Suprisingly the process of breaking down into bar stock was much easier than expected.

W2Tanto1Small.jpg

Sunobe (rough shape) formed. at this point I will cut it off of the bar and form the Nakago

W2Tanto2Small.jpg

Finished forging, did about 5 minutes drawfiling to check all the faces and shapes. I decided to move the machi up from what you see here. I originally had a 10 3/8" Nagasa but decided that the 9 7/8" balanced better with my intentions.

W2Tanto3Small.jpg

Profile view showing the pretty much finished shape (all drawfiles and hand sanding, feel the burn baby)

W2Tanto4Small.jpg

The other side

W2Tanto5Small.jpg

Closeup of the Kissaki, starting to look good

W2Tanto6Small.jpg

Ready to harden, I am hoping to get a basic Choji out of this clay layout. Thus far most of my experience with clay hardening ends up being rather Gunome shaped

W2Tanto7Small.jpg

To Be Continued......

President - Georgia Knifemakers Guild

ABS Journeyman Smith

"Wisdom and experience are built of bricks made from the mud of failure." - Mike Blue

"Shown here is the original stock size, next to the broken down bar stock. I flattened it with a 12 Lb sledge with my brother holding the steel, took about two hours to get it down to 3/8" x 1 1/4". As you can see the original stock is 11" long, and the bar is 19" long, so flattening got my an extra 8 inches. Suprisingly the process of breaking down into bar stock was much easier than expected"

Ya big ape....

:D

Cool, I'm looking forward to seeing what you get after the quench.

Randal

www.rhgraham.simpl.com

Looking good Stephan, can't wait to see the hamon. Your clay look a little too thick, make sure you soak it at temp for a few minutes or your hamon will be too low (I thinking oil quench here, you may be fine with water, as long as it dosn't crack :))

Don Hanson lll My Webpage

Actually Don I just sent you an Email about the quench, I might need to normalize and go again, didn't get much activity...

I got Hamon everywhere, It just seems lazy to me (except right at the Kissaki, darn it's pretty at the kissaki, big beautiful habuchi)

ABS Journeyman Smith

"Wisdom and experience are built of bricks made from the mud of failure." - Mike Blue

Decided I'm definately gonna retry it tonight, worst case is I crack it and learn a valuable lesson....

lets hope I get the lesson w/out the failure

ABS Journeyman Smith

I love to see that nice pile of filings next to the vise. Don't you just love to see some evidence of the labor, skin, etc. that went into shaping??

Looking good. You get quite a bit of advise on hamon, ya want some more?

Jim

DSC_0011.JPG

Jim Allen

Three Sisters Forge

Bend, Oregon

http://www.threesistersforge.com

JB - I am always open to a little more advice :D:D

OK, so the first one cracked...

SOOOOOO

I made another one.

this one is the same geometry but 11.5" Nagasa and 4.25" Nakago

More pics at http://www.fowlerblades.com/w2tanto/w2tanto.html

Clay:

w2tanto8small.jpg

The Gratuitous Pipe smoking

w2tanto10small.jpg

After a quick and dirty polish with a little bit of etch

w2tanto14small.jpg

w2tanto15small.jpg

w2tanto16small.jpg

Edited by stephanfowler

ABS Journeyman Smith

WOW, that hamon is looking stunning already!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots

that's the second one made, and I quenched it 3 times before I got an even Habuchi all the way down

I like it

Thanks for the W2 Don, I'm havin a lot of fun working with this stuff

Better Hamon Pics:

w2hamon1small.jpg

w2hamon2small.jpg

w2hamon3small.jpg

Edited by stephanfowler

ABS Journeyman Smith

• 3 weeks later...

Updates (yes, I have been working on this...)

Full page Info:

http://www.fowlerblades.com/w2tanto/w2tanto.html

w2-1small.jpg

w2-3small.jpg

w2-5small.jpg

w2-8small.jpg

ABS Journeyman Smith

heheh, it's not for the faint of heart, and I actually do know several ppl locally with power hammers, just gotta get there

hopefully when I get this piece finished I can afford a Grinder (hand filiing/sanding EVERYTHING atm) and start saving towards a hydraulic press

ABS Journeyman Smith

Got the Saya (scabbard) about finished up last night

check it: (sorry for the crappy pics...)

w2saya1.jpg

w2saya2.jpg

w2saya5.jpg

ABS Journeyman Smith

Looking good Stephen. I hear ya on the file/ hand sanding everything. I can't wait to see it with a handle.

Bob O

"When I raise my flashing sword, and my hand takes hold on judgment, I will take vengeance upon mine enemies, and I will repay those who haze me. Oh, Lord, raise me to Thy right hand and count me among Thy saints."

My Website

More Pictures:

w2tsuka1small.jpg

w2tsuka2small.jpg

w2tsuka3small.jpg

w2tsuka4small.jpg

w2tsuka5small.jpg

w2tsuka6small.jpg

w2tsuka7small.jpg

ABS Journeyman Smith