Higgins Armory Museum visit, with photos

Chris Meyer

Greetings everyone,

Since the schools were on vacation this week I took my kids on another museum trip. This time we went to the Higgins Armory Museum in Worcester, MA. For those who don’t know about the museum, according to Wikipedia; it’s “One of the largest arms and armor collections in the world with over 80 suits of armor spanning the Medieval to renaissance and early modern periods” and “Higgins Armory is the largest collection of Medieval Arms and Armor outside of Europe.” (According to Google, only the Kremlin has a larger collection.) More importantly, the museum is only about 50 minutes from my house.

The museum has lots to see and everyone had a good time. If you visit the vaulted Medieval Great Hall on the 3rd floor be sure to notice the many swords and other weapons that are mounted up on the walls, strategically placed beyond kids’ reach.

Here are some pictures from the museum. I apologize for the quality, but much of the museum is dimly lit and many pieces are behind glass.

Higgins_armory.jpg

Combat-armor-and-mail-shirt.jpg

Kids-in-great-hall.jpg

Kids-with-duelers.jpg

Jousting-and-Monkey-faced-a.jpg

Small-suit-of-armor.jpg

Jouster-4.jpg

Three-suits-of-armor.jpg

Two-suits-of-armor.jpg

Round-eyed-armor.jpg

Here are some additional photos from the Higgins Armory Museum in Worcester, MA;

Japanese-swords-saddle-an.jpg

Morion-and-Wheel-lock.jpg

Ornate-small-sword.jpg

Fluted-dirk.jpg

Dagger.jpg

Bronze-sword.jpg

Bird-headed-African-knife.jpg

Boar-spear-head.jpg

1763_anvil.jpg

1763_anvil_rear_bick.jpg

And still a few more…

fancy_leg_vise4.jpg

fancy_leg_vise3.jpg

Conch_helmet.jpg

Flanged-mace-with-dagger.jpg

Sword-and-pike.jpg

Shotel-sword.jpg

Five-helmets.jpg

Laura_in_helmet.jpg

Julia_in_helmet.jpg

Me_with_helmet.jpg

You can see all of the museum photos I’ve posted at my Photobucket page.

Christopher Meyer, Shenipsit Forge

Exceptional coolness involved there! It's nice to see some old anvils in the flesh, as it were. Love the vise.

"I'm not anti-gun. I'm pro-knife." Molly Ivins

NT Limpin' Cat Prokopp

HOLY CRAP THAT ANVIL IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I WANT IT SO BAD!!!!!!!!! Very cool Chris thank you for posting those!

Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots

• 5 months later...

i only live about 10-15 minuets from Higgins, great place but ive been there like 5 times now lol, school field trips and family trips. my main issue with them is that they never rly change the displays, ive never been to any other museum more then once so it might be a common thing but im sure they have some other stuff to show.