richard sexstone

hand sanding platon

I find this to be handy for clean up and finish sanding with using standard 9 x 11 sheets of paper..first off Don Fogg uses sticky backed paper which is a much better solution because it doesn't form a "Wave" in front of the part as you push it across the paper......... that wave will tend to round the egde of whatever you are sanding......... he gets it at auto body supply stores....... it is expensive compaired to plain backed paper which is what I have alot of ..... so here is my method o maddness.

this is a piece of 1/2"X 1&1/2" X 8" ground

0-1........ the lenght is critical so as to be able to use a full width of 9" of a sheet of 9x11 paper....... the ends where the paper is grabbed are rounded over so as to not cut the paper..... the screws and springs are not critcal other than getting a size that will work........

this works realy good to keep parts square as you clean them up...... and also to do parts that are too hard to hold on to when using a grinder ( I hate grinders and only use one for roughing out)......... here are some photos to explain the rest........ if you have questions please ask........ I also included a smaller "sanding stick" that i also made for the same reasons as discribed above...... it is 1/8" x 1/2" x 4 & 5/8" 0-1 ..... the length is critical to be able to use the full lenght of the 5 & 1/2" that you get from cutting the 11" paper in half....... the screws are 2-56 and the spring is from a pen.....

I like that sanding stick Richard, a very ingenious idea. I just might have to make me one of them.

Thanks for sharing.

Jas.

Very cool Richard. You're good at creating these little tools :D

Very cool little device, Richard. I had the same idea but sized up a bit to use ala the Gaijin's Guide sanding method. Haven't built it yet, though. Need to get around to it because I hate that 'wave' in the paper and the way it loses nice sharp lines...

On the top tool, is it the spring pressure, alone, that keeps the paper taught between the two pieces of flat stock? I could see it maybe if there were two nuts on the back side of the screws to hold the two flat pieces together, but all I see is the spring pressure.

Is that enough to keep the paper tight and not pull out?

Good observation........My explaintion left that important part out....... thank you for pointing that out.

So there are two flats on the spring end . the one next to the spring is drilled and taped and the other flat is through drilled ....... so the sand paper is captured between them and the other end the sand paper is captured between the flat and the platon....... it is loaded by putting the paper between the two flats on the spring end and then tighening the screws and then pushing the spring tight agianst the platon and securing the paper in the other end .........

thanks again for asking an obvious question....... I hope I explained it good enough.......let me know if there are any other questions.......

I also left out that I had surface ground the face of the platon that the sand paper sits on ... the stock I got from MSC supply was oversized and not really flat.......only within +/- .005 demention wise . I did not harden it either

Dick

Very cool Dick!!!

Thanks for taking the time to share the idea AND the photos. The photos are worth a thousand words... or maybe a thousand bucks? :D

This is really similar to the sanding plane JP Moss uses and even used to sell. Have you ever seen one of those? I built one but wasn't as precise as I should have been and it left a little to be desired.

I love that you accounted for paper size.

These look extremely handy and well thought out! :)B)

Nick,

nope never seen the JP Moss one .... was it posted here on this forum? But you can send me the thousand anyway. Ha ha ha.......

Actualy you should send the thousand to Don Fogg......This is such a great place to exchange ideas!!!!!!!

glad you got something out of it....

Dick

thats pretty neat.

lately I've been using a piece of polished marble floor tile, regular paper backed sandpaper, and a can of super 77. spray the back of the paper, stick it to the marble and sand away. you can also scrap down the adhesive build up with a razor-scraper before the next grit size....(ps...excellent way to sharped too.)