Hey everyone, I decided to drag out my forge and actually make stuff :lol: I was about 1/2 way through the 3rd knife of the day when the flexible ducting that I have taking the air to my forge exploded!

100_1108.jpg

And here are the knives:

4 folder blades and a marlin spike to go with one of them, a kitchen knife, and a marking knife for my brother.

100_1109.jpg

That happened to me once! Gets your attention, doesn't it? :lol: My wife thought I'd blown up the acetylene tank.

Let me guess: You watered the fire and let the blower quit turning?

Actually, I just stopped turning the blower and went to cut the knife off the bar, then.... BOOOOOOM! I think it had something to do with the wind pushing air down into the forge. It had been doing that little *woof* thing all day (and still did it after) but that one time when it went and exploded. I make sure to keep the air going when I water the fire so I don't get that problem ;)

When I used coal I had an bathroom exhaust fan for a blower. I'd turn the the blower off inbetween heats. Everyonce in awhile the gases would go in the blower pipe and turning on the blower I'd get a heck of a bang. Had to go change my pants the first time it happened.

All in all looks like you had a good day, other than that extra trip to the bathroom. Lookin good Bob keep us updated on how they are coming along.

Bob

WOw cool blades Bob! Yeah, that is called blowback, when there is a build up of excess gasses from the coal that turn back up into the blower, then get ignited by an errant breeze. you are lucky you aren't using a leather bellows, or it would have been an expensive repair!

Bob

a ha ha ha ....... done there been that( I like to say it backward)........... and it lifts the coal right out of the tuyre too.......... glad to see you do have a forge and why you long for a gas one........... I still prefer coal but I have an car blower hooked to mine and don't get the blow back anymore........

good start on the blades........ looks like you had fun......... looking forward to seeing the finished results........

Looks like you got a lot of work done before the big bang.

Did that demoing at the Dublin Irish Festival one year with our Y1k set up. Flames shot out the back of one of the bellows. It was an experience I don't care to repeat.

I once saw a piston-type bellows send its piston flying like a rocket when there was a bit of a back-draft. Once we all cleaned off our chainmail, it was pretty funny.

Looks like another fun day at the forge, BobO. You've been busy lately.

Whatever happened to the D-guard project?

Happy Hammerin'

It was another fun day that the forge ;) I kinda put that project off until I get the blade all finished up. But my brother won't need it for at least 97 weeks.. starting in June, so I figure I have a little bit of time. :rolleyes: Plus, stuff that pays takes priority at this point.

Looks like you got a lot of work done before the big bang.

Did that demoing at the Dublin Irish Festival one year with our Y1k set up. Flames shot out the back of one of the bellows. It was an experience I don't care to repeat.

Actually, I only got about 1/2 the stuff done. I went up the road and got a new pipe at home depot. $7 isn't bad, but I could have done with out having to spend it. But I got everything back together before the fire went out. B)

If you had the blower lower than the level of the forge, I'm guessing that you wouldn't get thing exploding so much, the gasses would be hot and go upwards.

my my, you have been productive haven't you Bob? :D looks great!

Nope! The explosive gases produced by coking coal include some that are heavier-than-air, even when hot. Ask me how I found out... :D

Nope! The explosive gases produced by coking coal include some that are heavier-than-air, even when hot. Ask me how I found out... :D

So Alan, how'd you find out? :lol:

I think that it's just a risk that you have to take. Unless you use a blower that is on all the time: always pushing at least a tiny bit of air through the pipe, then the gasses could still back up and explode.