Finished this Evening

Chuck Bussey

The first blade for this one cracked during HT.

Specs:

~9" OAL

5160 triple treated

1018 textured guard

Curly Maple handle

And I will never make another hump backed knife! :blink:

Comments / advice please!

Thanks,

Chuck

024-1.jpg

016.jpg

022.jpg

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."

- Thomas Jefferson

"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense."

- Tom Clancy

Nice lines on it.... I like the textured fitting effect. I use it a lot when left to my own preferences. Don't get asked for it on commissioned things, too often. More often I get the request for a textured blade area, which I also like but it has proven a pain on more than one occasion trying to make a very finely detailed polished area meet up with a very delineated rough area... Oh, well, I'm rambling again....

Again, nice knife. But I tend to like anything with a nice curly maple handle... :)

Nice lines on it.... I like the textured fitting effect. I use it a lot when left to my own preferences. Don't get asked for it on commissioned things, too often. More often I get the request for a textured blade area, which I also like but it has proven a pain on more than one occasion trying to make a very finely detailed polished area meet up with a very delineated rough area... Oh, well, I'm rambling again....

Again, nice knife. But I tend to like anything with a nice curly maple handle... :)

Hehe Scott, the trick to getting it good i sto forge onyl the blade's outline, and taper, no bevels, then texture the whole thing, then grind in the bevels. Viola, pretty clean transformation between rough textured area dna clean smooth bevel. GORGEOUS knife Chuck, 5160 is good stuff. I love the texturing too a very nice touch!

Edited by Sam Salvati

Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots

Thanks for the replies guys..

John: HT 3 times means normalize 3 times after forging, harden 3 times, temper 3 times. What this does is refine the grain of the steel and make a better quality blade. If you want more details let me know. If the people here have a better explanation please chime in.

Scott:As far as texturing a surface, when someone wants a knife they get close to what they want but I reserve artistic license meaning you get what I make if you want it.

Sam: Thanks!

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."

- Thomas Jefferson

"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense."

- Tom Clancy