Hello All,

I am looking for a large forging press for a production run. In particular I would like a motorized fly press, sometimes called a friction press or Screw press.

These are generally ten foot tall units which weigh about 8,000 pounds. Should you know of one do give a ring.

they look like the one on the right:

http://www.flypress.com/

Ric

Richard Furrer

Door County Forgeworks

Sturgeon Bay, WI

I am looking for a large forging press for a production run. In particular I would like a motorized fly press, sometimes called a friction press or Screw press. These are generally ten foot tall units which weigh about 8,000 pounds.

Have you ever talked to anyone about this addiction to BIG tools? Of course, this could be nothing more than filling up all that available floor space in your shop...

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. Will Rogers

Grant Sarver of Off-Center products used to import 'em from Korea, but I don't know if he's got any for sale at present. Heck, I'm still lookin' out for a 10" or larger rolling mill for you! Why don't you just buy out a defunct steel mill and get to work? :lol:

The Anyang company sells presses like that.

Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots

• 2 months later...

Richard, are you having any luck yet? Can you explain any advantages of using a screw press other than the size factor? I'm still keeping my eye on this one I found a couple years ago. Its still sitting in the same carport covered in junk and the owner just keeps it around to remind him of the good old days. In my travels I keep a notebook with the locations of old tools and make yearly trips to inquire about purchasing them.

If you notice the white dots that form a triangle on the screw press its the markings from where a Buddhist Monk had a ceremony and blessed it. It could be from a general ceremony for a shop where every tool was blessed or it could have happened after someone got careless and they blamed the machine for harboring a bad spirit therefore needing a blessing and protective markings.

Screw_Press_BW_for_Internet.jpg

Edited by Bryan Lee

Ric,

Lyle Brunckhorst has a 100 Ton Flywheel press for sale for $1,500.00

Its in Washington.

bronks@nwnexus.com

Hope this helps.

Tony G

Tony,

Spoke with Lyle today. Sounds like a good machine, but it is not of the style I am looking for.

Thanks though!

Ric

A bit smaller than what I need, but thank you.

Ric

Richard Furrer

Door County Forgeworks

Sturgeon Bay, WI

Ric,

I can't help you with the flypress, but I think I saw a 30,000 lb rolling mill on ebay ... might scratch that "mine's bigger than yours" itch that seems to keep you up nights.

Later

Dan

Ric,

I can't help you with the flypress, but I think I saw a 30,000 lb rolling mill on ebay ... might scratch that "mine's bigger than yours" itch that seems to keep you up nights.

Later

Dan

Dan,

I don't have a complex..most of my oversized tools are not compensating for anything...I have made peace with , um certain inadequacies, years ago.

I like bigger tools because I finally have space for them and can power them and...actually have a use for them.

NOW TELL ME WHERE THIS LARGE ROLLING MILL IS.....TELL MEE TELLMME NOW!

actually I have my eye on a 12,000 pound mill now (licks lips).

Ric

Richard Furrer

Door County Forgeworks

Sturgeon Bay, WI