the Dwarven Noble Blade

David D.

Hey everyone! It’s been a while!

We sort of went into hibernation here at the MAD Dwarf Workshop during winter, but now things have heated up and we are back at work with a vengeance!!!

Here is one I just finished up recently:

DwarvenBlade1.jpg

DwarvenBlade2.jpg

Another very "Tolkien-ish" inspired blade. I know that the whole rustic look is not to popular and leaving the black rough forge texture on the back of blades is not to big a trend either, but We really like the way this turned out and we want to try things our own way and be original.

I actually should not take full credit for this piece, the beginning forging and overall idea was started by Andy Davis, its just that he sort of stopped with this and I took over... (Thanks Andy!) :) lol

The blade was forged from high carbon steel off of an old tractor and the handle is cherry with wood burnt dwarven knot work in it.

Not everything we have planned for the future will be Dwarven or Middle Earth themed, its just that Tolkien stuff is one of our biggest inspirations and we want to get ALL of our blade ideas made! :)

Keep on the look out for a seax that is in the works by Andy and an ancient leaf blade sword in the works being made by myself!! B)

PPLEASE let us know what you think about this one!! Any comments or crit would be extremely appreciated!!

Thanks so much!!! ;)

David D.

the MAD Dwarf Workshop.

Edited by David D3

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness,

nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend"

J.R.R. Tolkien

www.CedarloreForge.com

Sweet blade, I knew from the first posting you boys did, that your work would be inspiring.

John W Smith
www.smith-forge.org

Fire and wind come from the sky, from the gods of the sky. But Crom is your god, Crom and he lives in the earth. Once, giants lived in the Earth, Conan. And in the darkness of chaos, they fooled Crom, and they took from him the enigma of steel. Crom was angered. And the Earth shook. Fire and wind struck down these giants, and they threw their bodies into the waters, but in their rage, the gods forgot the secret of steel and left it on the battlefield. We who found it are just men. Not gods. Not giants. Just men. The secret of steel has always carried with it a mystery. You must learn its riddle, Conan. You must learn its discipline. For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not beasts.

[Points to sword]

This you can trust

Hi, David... Good stuff you have there. I like the textured as forged look a fair bit, just finished up a simple freebie seax (I wanted to add it as thank you for a very delayed project completion) that is left forge textured except for the side planes, which are polished. It has a charm to it that was surprising for such a simple piece. Ofcourse, the highly finished and polished 'brother' to it has a different charm.... Ofcourse, variety gets to be something necessary for some of us after a while in whatever form of art we may do. Or at least it is that way for me...

Wish I could stir up my old love of Tolkien's world a bit more but I'm seemingly becoming jaded in my old age and lots of stuff that used to be important to me doesn't hold as much interest anymore... That said, I do have a Tolkien inspired design or two that I feel might get done at some point.....

Anyways, keep up the good work, hope to see more of you guys ideas materialize....

I really like the over all design of that David. The only thing that jumps out at me, is that the handle look just a bit too big for the blade. You did a fine job on that wood burning... I especially like the dwarf down at the end of the handle. It's almost like he's hiding in the rest of what's going on :P I also think that the half polish/half forge finish looks good. I'm going to try to do that on my next folder. It gives the blade character that you just don't get with a full polish.

Bob O

"When I raise my flashing sword, and my hand takes hold on judgment, I will take vengeance upon mine enemies, and I will repay those who haze me. Oh, Lord, raise me to Thy right hand and count me among Thy saints."

My Website

i like that one as well david. i think you'll find that a lot of us like the forge texture; it adds character, and like a hamon is a visual record of what steel goes through to become a knife. my only criticisms would be that i would prefer the edge bevel to come further up the blade giving you a finer cutting edge, and to my eye a better balance between smooth and rough forged, and i would also prefer a heavier guard - guards from such thin stock always look like an after thought to me - if you dont want to use heavier stock, you could use two pieces of thin stuff with some wood sandwiched between them - you could glue or rivet them together, then shape the whole thing with files to give the whole piece some more flow. i really like the handle, and the overall fit and finish looks pretty good to me to. keep up the good work - i think im gonna go light the forge now - youve inspired me.

Jake Cleland - Skye Knives

www.knifemaker.co.uk

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Albert Einstein

I like it! I have to second Jake on the guard thickness, but you're still way ahead of where I was at your age. Heck, your design sense and creativity is way ahead of where I am now! :lol:

Keep 'em coming. B)

Hey thanks so much guys! That really makes me happy that you think it looks alright! I trust fellow Bladesmith's opinions!!! ;)

I totally agree with you guys about how the handle is a tad big and the guard a tad to small. I agree completely, I guess just that with time and equipment I had to do what I was capable of. But hey, every blade is a leanring experience! so the next will be better!! ^_^

i think im gonna go light the forge now - youve inspired me.

Thank you so much! Honored to be an inspiration in any way to you guys, as you all have done the same for me by posting your work here time and time again!!

You guys rock!! :)

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness,

nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend"

J.R.R. Tolkien

www.CedarloreForge.com

Hey, David !

if you are thinking that your style is not too popular ....bring your blades and friends to Belgium and you will find a lot of interested peoples !!!!!

I like your style very much !!!

congrats, men !

I too agree with Jake. It's a beginers thing to make the edge bevel to short. You'll get them better with time and practice. Your design is really awesome. I think if you hit a couple cons and put your stuff in the art show it'll sell like crazy.

Also a word of advice that one of my art teachers taught me, "Never apologize for doing what you like." It doesn't matter if you put in designs that people might or might not like if it works and you like them then do them. The art will speak for itself. You guys are doing an awesome job. Keep at it.

Adlai

Klatu Baratta Necktie!

Macabee Knives