Welding forge question

Hi I have a question, We have a vertical forge that we have had to repair occasional but know that we got into forge welding we malted a good deal of it :( , so we decided to build a horizontal forge just for forge welding (and repair the other one) . So my question is for the welding forge should we use soft or hard firebrick and should we use Satanite refractory mortar or Mizzou castable refractory (supplied by Darren Ellis)My real question is can I pore Mizzou or Satanite over soft firebricks and it stand up to flux? Willman

I'd try to keep the welding forge vertical. That way you can still have inswool walls for fast heating, but you can add a castable floor to stand up to the flux, which will only fall to the bottom. Somebody around here once mentioned making a floor out of Mizzou that sloped to a little drain hole on the center. You won't lose much heat, and the flux will just run out the bottom. Remember to put a can under there lest you flux your shoes, though! :lol:

Darrin is also pushing the bubble alumina as being highly flux-resistant, have you asked him about that? He's really good at answering questions.

That was I Alan, using rammable.The alumina is great stuff too.After packing the floor I just use a dowel to punch the hole through the center of the floor.You could use a piece of pipe as a form if you decide to cast it.No more flux building up and eating at the wall where it meets the floor.

Let me clarify the horizontal forge is half round like a mailbox with inswool walls and top, trying to decide the floor. Flux proofing the old one could work but I already have the knew one welded up and I feel like building more tools :D . thanks for the info about the hole in the floor, I think I'll try it. Willman

I covered the bottom of my forge out of about a 1/2" of mizzou, then just smeared a handful of it up the side of the vertical forge to the 'door', and across the insulation that makes up the 'door' floor. Seems to work well.

Does this make any sense, or does it sound like it's been translated from another language? Sorry, it's still early for me...

Use whatever refractory on the floor you want to, then place a kiln shelf or two on top of it - they hold up pretty well to flux, and are cheap and easily replaced. I use a wool lining on my welding forge and just replace the kiln shelf when it gets gummy.