Getting agitated

Just finished up my latest quench tank and thought I'd share.

The Agitation Page

After really looking hard at what you guys have said about qunchants and agitation, I decided to at least get agitated. From here I can stay with water or move to polymers.

Anyhoo, whole unit is portable on wheels. Push it to the flower bed and drain using gate valve underneath, close lid to keep things out (after I cut hole in lid for new plumbing), and the new pump and plumbing just lifts out if I don't want it in there.

Now if I'd just get some blades done......

Dan

Dan Pfanenstiel

Just finished up my latest quench tank and thought I'd share.

The Agitation Page

After really looking hard at what you guys have said about qunchants and agitation, I decided to at least get agitated. From here I can stay with water or move to polymers.

Anyhoo, whole unit is portable on wheels. Push it to the flower bed and drain using gate valve underneath, close lid to keep things out (after I cut hole in lid for new plumbing), and the new pump and plumbing just lifts out if I don't want it in there.

Now if I'd just get some blades done......

Dan

Wow Dan,

What a great mod for that tank. There is enough extra length there to fit the pump and still have room for the blades. I imagined just a straight jet on one end of the tank to create a flow like a river. Down the center and back along the sides. I would not have thought of making the current go straight up the entire length. Does the pump have a screen to keep the clay out hehe?

Patrick

Nice looking quench tank - nozzles properly oriented, and looks like adequate flow...How many GPM on the pump?

Ought to do well for you!

Scott

D. Scott MacKenzie, PhD

Heat Treating (Aluminum and Steel)

Quenching (Water, Polymer, Oil, Salt and Mar-Tempering)

Think its 21gpm Scott. Box says its rated at 1260gph. Only thing I worried about was restricting the pumps flow too much and burning it out prematurely.

Ya, Patrick, I was definitly ready to do a bunch of plumbing and looking for a certain style pump when I remembered about these little utility pumps. Used em at work several times. They're actually designed to pass smaller crud, and screen out bigger stuff. Might throw some bug screen around the base anyway.

Dan

Dan Pfanenstiel

Shouldn't be a problem as the tank holds a lot of water. Pipe sits at bottom. Used sch40 so should stand up to a few "bumps" here and there anyway. Quick and easy to replace if needed too.

Really tried hard to give the tank it's maiden voyage last night but the shop gremlins won that battle.

Dan

Dan Pfanenstiel

G.- gunna try it with the idea of reducing the vapor jacket in the quench. I've only used still water up to now and I anticipate some drastic changes with what I'm used to. The addition of polymer could slow things back down for me if the plain water doesn't quite get it for me.

Dan

Dan Pfanenstiel

interesting....keep us posted on how this works and effects things, theres a big 'ol tub that my mom wouldnt let me turn into a bathtub racer back home...maybe this would be allowed...

formerly youngbuck...i now have a name!

Well, tried the agitated water on a clayed wak blade and it sure changed things. Where I usually get some form of hamon I got screamin' hard from edge to spine on most of the blade. The comments that agitation speeds the quenchant up are right on.

Normalized the blade and quenched in still water and things got back to normal.

Dan

Dan Pfanenstiel

Well, tried the agitated water on a clayed wak blade and it sure changed things. Where I usually get some form of hamon I got screamin' hard from edge to spine on most of the blade. The comments that agitation speeds the quenchant up are right on.

Normalized the blade and quenched in still water and things got back to normal.

Dan

Hey Dan,

Maybe thicker clay next time? Seems like you went and opened a whole new can of worms. If you can keep the clayed part from cooling to fast, you may get a screaming hard edge. If thats a good thing? ( cracks )

Have you hardness tested any of you water quenched 1050 blades? If so, what hardness do you get? I've only done one water quenched 1050 blade, a while back. Didn't come out very good. But just recently I came across it and tested the edge in a few places, and only got between the mid 40's to low 50's. I must of done someting wrong. Well good luck with the experiments, and keep us posted.

Tony

Have you hardness tested any of you water quenched 1050 blades? If so, what hardness do you get? I've only done one water quenched 1050 blade, a while back. Didn't come out very good. But just recently I came across it and tested the edge in a few places, and only got between the mid 40's to low 50's. I must of done someting wrong. Well good luck with the experiments, and keep us posted.

Tony

I typically get somewhere in the area of 56rc on my 1050 blades Tony. Got some of those graduated files for testing hardness, so it's close to that. The quest continues.

Dan

Dan Pfanenstiel